Home > Puma (Tdci) > Metal filings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Yetiman

United Kingdom 
Metal filings
Hi all

Just had a call from the garage who are servicing my 07 Puma 90 (first time I've used them) and they have reported finding metal filings in the gearbox and diff oil. Now, I am no engineer or mechanic (hence the need for a garage to do the service) BUT I do know that most vehicles have, all be it very small amounts, some metal filings flake off as the transmission wears. I will quiz them when I pick the car up but they've already suggested a new gearbox and diff is in my future. Question is, at what level does metal filings become a concern? Any are bad I know but a new gearbox and diff? Really?! Apparently the 'clunk when changing gears is a known sign of gearbox wear'....from forums and chatting at shows etc...it seems most Pumas have this 'clunk' and there is a trick to change gear without it happening...which is true, as I do.

Sorry for the questions. I think I know the answers but my BS radar is working overtime today!

Cheers She's not old...just older
Post #268089 20th Sep 2013 11:56am
Shep

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
If it were me, unless there were small chunks of metal on the drain plugs, i'd get them to clean up the magnets, change the oils, then have a drive about, keeping a ear out for gearbox diff issues, check the drain plugs again in a few weeks and change the oil again. Gives you time to think.

If you have a gearbox/diff issue that would be different of course!

Just me though and my thoughts of course, other peoples opinions do also count Very Happy

Good luck A man with no boat is a prisoner
Post #268100 20th Sep 2013 12:13pm
Yetiman

United Kingdom 
Very Happy Cheers for that.

There is no noise from gearbox or diff other than the clunk when you rush a gear change. I've had a diff go before on my old TD5 (god I miss that thing!) and so I know the noises to listen out for...none as yet.

Cheers She's not old...just older
Post #268106 20th Sep 2013 12:32pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Shep wrote:
If it were me, unless there were small chunks of metal on the drain plugs, i'd get them to clean up the magnets, change the oils, then have a drive about, keeping a ear out for gearbox diff issues, check the drain plugs again in a few weeks and change the oil again. Gives you time to think.

+1.

Then, if needed, go to the gods of LR transmission - Ashcroft... Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #268108 20th Sep 2013 12:35pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Metal pieces I would worry. Small filings not worried. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #268110 20th Sep 2013 12:36pm
Yetiman

United Kingdom 
Cheers all Thumbs Up

Got her back now and it's definitely filings not lumps. I'm going to drain it down in a few weeks and check for filings again but I'm pretty confident she's OK. But yes, Ashcroft had come to mind Smile

Thanks again all She's not old...just older
Post #268188 20th Sep 2013 5:50pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! The transmission could go another squillion miles before anything blows up, and even if you're unlucky enough to still be owning the vehicle when it does, you won't have lost anything.

On the other hand, getting "mechanics" to play about with your truck now is perhaps an unnecessary expense? If it were me I'd have the boxes' oils changed at each service for the next couple of times, and forget about it...

Peter
Post #268194 20th Sep 2013 6:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1