↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Pick up new (to me) 110 tomorrow and need some security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
Way back when I lived in the Midlands, the low-lifes that tried to steal my 300Tdi CSW were not interested in making the thing go, they just wanted to get it rolling. So part of their plan was to remove the rear driveshaft at the handbrake drum, at which point all they would have had to do was to roll the car forward onto a trailer from the front drive (on a winch) and away it goes.......

I would assess where you park the vehicle, and make a risk-assessment of the methods to steal it. Anything that stops the wheels from physically turning is going to be the most effective way of stopping your pride and joy ending-up in a container out of Portsmouth, already stripped for its new "owner" in South Africa. None of the LR alarm systems work (the thieves just isolate them, and let them squeal their batteries out in a saline solution in a Coke bottle), so anything unusual is worth doing, in parallel to a known good device.

What defeated the idiots that attempted to steal my Defender was that I had Loctited the fixings on both sides of the transfer box flanges (front and rear driveshafts) and left the car with the diff-lock engaged. By the time they were ready to smash/pry their way in to let the handbrake off, the police were already on the way - nosey neighbour that "couldn't sleep" was worth more than any of the devices!! After that, it never got left outside on the front drive...... Whistle I wished then that I had invested in something that locked one of the wheels down to the drive, like a wheelclamp with a really decent lock. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #266493 13th Sep 2013 11:26pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
If they turn up with a low loader it's pretty much gone, but that is the same for anything that doesn't weight 12 tonne.

Anchoring it to the drive sounds like a good idea till the one day you forget to remove it.
Post #266495 13th Sep 2013 11:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12