↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > First 1000 miles of ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jeeves

United Kingdom 
First 1000 miles of ownership
First real posting on here other than when we first bought our 2008 Puma last month....
Just got back from our holiday around Cornwall and absolutely love

Love the way other Defender drivers wave..
Love turning up in a Defender....
Got 23- 25 mpg towing at 60-65 mph with fully loaded roofrack and camping trailer
Got 28 mpg knocking around Cornwall with family of 5.

Couple of issues we need some re-assurance with...
Drove pretty much non stop with air-con on on today from Cornwall to home (380 miles), turned aircon off to put heating on briefly and steam came through vents.....Daddy panicked and shouted "I think we are on fire" !....

Clunk from gearbox throughout most gears.....

Rattle under load particularly in sixth under load

Just coming to journeys end and engine rattle upon setting off in first .....

Quick search through this forum suggests situation normal for all of above ????
Comments/suggestions please

Last edited by jeeves on 8th Sep 2013 9:44am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #263532 3rd Sep 2013 9:18pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Brilliant, glad you enjoyed the Defender on holiday. I think they are fantastic holiday vehicles.

Can't really comment on your issues, but when mine was a manual and I had that clunk on gear change it was the propshaft bolts slightly loose on the brake drum. Once tightend all was OK. BM52
Post #263547 3rd Sep 2013 9:48pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I use my air-con sporadically (because I'm tight and figure it uses fuel) and I use it, turn it off once things cool down then back on again five minutes later when it's warmed up and I get plenty of water vapour out the vents. I figure it's like the clouds of stuff that falls out the freezer when you open the door. All normal.

The rattles and knocking all sound normal to me, they're not the most refined vehicles around. You'll find they make a new noise when you're a thousand miles from home and in a very remote place, I wonder if I'm just listening harder because of where I am.

Obviously monitor the rattles, bumps and knocks to make sure they don't get worse. Turn the radio up if they do. Very Happy

I found 60mph to be a lot better for fuel efficiency than 70mph. They're so un-aerodynamic that extra bit of speed really costs you.
Post #263551 3rd Sep 2013 9:52pm
limbrickh

New Zealand 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Nice one guys. Your family is a pretty close match for mine and we just love our Defender. The Puma is totally underrated as a family wagon.

As AndyS says, the vapour coming out the aircon vents is normal (if our Defender is normal). As is a slight clunk from the drive line when changing gear - especially after a long drive. I find my gearbox very nice to use when the vehicle is just warmed up but after a long run the clunk gets worse.

I wonder whether the rattling in 6th is because you aren't using enough revs and you should be in a lower gear? From my experience you shouldn't let revs drop below 1500 rpm and for best efficiency aim to keep it around 2000 rpm.

I totally agree with AndyS on keeping the speed to 60MPH (which incidently, at 2100RPM, is peak torque in 6th).
Post #263565 3rd Sep 2013 10:14pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Glad you like the Defender Thumbs Up

If you are unfamiliar with Defenders, I would suggest you get a good independent Land Rover mechanic to check it over.

Some rattles might be due to things like wear/play in the transmission line.

Rattle in sixth under load whilst towing? Now what is rattling? Could be something as simple as the engine telling you that it is beginning to labour at that load/speed/gear. Dash on black 110 when towing big trailer sometimes begins to vibrate/items rattle on it whilst at certain speeds going uphill. Drop down into 5th, vibration/rattling disappears.

Brendan
Post #263589 3rd Sep 2013 11:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1