↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insuring a USW for Business Use
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Insuring a USW for Business Use
I'm getting confused on insuring a Utility Wagon for business use.

Lots of companies will give me insurance in my name and add "care of my company" to the policy. My company is both registered keeper/owner of vehicle. E.g. Land Rover Insurance. They'll give me a policy, not my company and will add "c/o on the documents" now if it was stolen/crashed my company would be the ones out of pocket not me. All policies obviously have class 3 business use.

AXA so far are the only ones I've found willing to give me an insurance quote in my business name. £1400 with 8 years no claims!

If I go with one of the companies like LV= that reduces to £450. Still waiting for the likes of NFU etc.

Obviously a grand saving is quote a lot but I don't want to be in the position of it going missing and then having to argue with the insurance co.

So whose done this before it is usual to have me names as the policy holder and list the van as owned by/registered with the company on the policy?

Seems a bit contrary to me.
Post #258430 13th Aug 2013 5:11pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
So, the registered keeper on the V5 is "companyX". IIRC, a USW is classed as light goods vehicle (or whatever the correct term is!). There should be no problem insuring a commercial vehicle on a commercial policy, in the name of "companyX". It is exactly the same as any other van that is owned by a business. Shouldn't be too hard? I'm not an expert on this really. We've got a motor vehicle traders policy, so that covers any vehicle in out posession, but that's not cheap or easy to understand Rolling Eyes

Have you tried Aviva? They're pretty good for commercial stuff Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #258432 13th Aug 2013 5:31pm
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Mine is with NFU, no problems at all.
Post #258462 13th Aug 2013 9:19pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
To get a buness policy you normally end up going through the main underwrighter so not though LV, Admiral etc but the people behind them Allianz, Zurich, Newline or Equity Red Star.

The others are just fronts or even brokers that are trading names underwritten by xxx.

We have a few on the 42 stroing fleet through work and all ours goes through Allianz. Total for any driver, any vehicles owned, hired, leased or used by an employee (so not just a list of owned reg, but ANY driver to driver ANY vehicle) comes out at £1100 per vehicle (yes, £46200 pa).
Post #258490 13th Aug 2013 10:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Cheers Wranglers.

It was confusing me as Direct Lines state on thier website that the company cannot be a registered keeper, owner etc of the vehicle. It must be the policy holder yet the bloke on the phone said otherwise.

At the moment Axa are looking the best bet even at £1400 per year Sad THat was with a proper "broker" so looking the best bet at the moment.
Post #258503 13th Aug 2013 11:23pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Different country so different rules, but over here if you by a van and tax it privately you get standard private insurance. If you want to use your van as a commercial vehicle you must take out commercial insurance which is always more expensive.Maybe the same principle is being applied here. They are charging on the use of the vehicle i.e. commercial not on the manufacturers classification.If you were to get "private" insurace i.e. non business use, on the USW it would be just like insuring any private car. Once "commercial" or "business" use gets mentioned you get hit with a hefty premium. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #259180 16th Aug 2013 7:27pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Don't forget that normall, not always I admit, but normally a privately insured vehicle would be expected to cover fewer miles/year compared with a business insured vehicle which may also carry expensive equipment , so obviously there is a higher risk attached to business insurance and hence premium.
I may be wrong but was there not some changes made relating to the Registered Owner and Registered Keeper of a vehicle with relation to the V5 and insurance. I may be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time Rolling with laughter

Hey, I wasn't wrong [url] http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicle_f....pdf[/url] LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #259196 16th Aug 2013 8:53pm
NoDo$h

England 
LV aren't broker/resellers. They write their own book Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #259204 16th Aug 2013 9:03pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
LV= are underwritten by Prudential. So if you went stratight to Pru, they would [i]probably[/i] do better.

All is based amongst other algorythems, miles covered, times of day these miles are covered, the vehicles ya de ya, so Business use confirms that use between 0900 anc 1700 Mon - Fri WILL be undertaken. And when are MOST vehicles on the road thus more likely to have an incident - Mon to Fri, 0900 - 1700.

So a private use (moajority of use out of busness hours) with a decared business mileage will be lower risk than a Business vehicle.

I dont want this to be a debate on the rights and wrongs of figuring out premiums, more of a state of fact of who is out when.

Obviously if it were a free country, all we defenders (and other varient) owners could just take the direct, crow flies route. Cut out roads altogether. (damed, that;s a fine idea).
Post #259245 16th Aug 2013 10:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

England 
Rolling with laughter

No, they're not.

LV write their own book. Suggest you check their policy documentation (available online) or, I dunno, speak with someone who works with them from time to time Whistle 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #259251 16th Aug 2013 10:21pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
I have used Autonet insurance group in the past to insure a small fleet ( all owned by the ltd co ) and they were very competitive for me. They are a broker but sometimes the brokers get better rates than individuals.

I have just moved to Privilege for full commercial insurance on a Transit van 8 years no claims £295 any driver.

Usual caveats of the best deal not available to all !!!
Post #259357 17th Aug 2013 12:02pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
NFU came up trumps.

£800 policy in business name, 0 years no claims.
Post #260872 23rd Aug 2013 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1