↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Tweeters in a 300TDI??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
I've recently put in some tweeters in my Td5 just like BarbelJim ( only mine were Hertz with high pass filters) and they really make a difference to the clarity of sound.

I took the dash top out so I could get a holesaw (34mm?) through square-on but maybe you can fiddle that. The drill will be very close to the windscreen though.
Post #258485 13th Aug 2013 10:28pm
cabell

Are the land rover tweeters used in conjunction with the same old coaxial speakers they have used for years or did they go to a typical component setup with a dedicated woofer / midrange for the pumas?
Post #258514 14th Aug 2013 3:00am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Macpaul - Or you could always use a right angle drill chuck thing (what ever you call it. Laughing That would do the trick. A hole saw IMO is pretty much the only way you'll get a good perfectly circular hole cut out accurate and quickly.

Cabell - IIRC as standard on the Puma it's component the standard speakers are mid range and the Tweeters have in-built X over's.
They aren't the worst OE fit speakers I've known but when they get turned up a bit they've had it! If you had an aftermarket HU running on standard speakers I doubt they would last too long before they started to distort! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #258578 14th Aug 2013 10:58am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Macpaul wrote:
I took the dash top out so I could get a holesaw (34mm?) through square-on but maybe you can fiddle that. The drill will be very close to the windscreen though.

I managed to do mine in-situ. Drilled a pilot hole for holesaw. Then used just the holesaw, and turned by hand to keep square and tidy through the vinyl covering. Once through, and down to metal, I cleaned it all off, and then put the holesaw in the drill. It was at a bit of an angle, but as long as ii was through the covering, it could be a bit messy. Drill it out and a bit of fettering with a file and job done. Thumbs Up
If you need a hand Ipints Give me a shout Thumbs Up
Oh and I didn't realize that the crossovers were built in in the puma tweeters Steve
Post #258607 14th Aug 2013 1:09pm
iPints

United States 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Cheers fellas.......this is what makes this forum awesome....advice, help and everything.

I may take you up on the offer Jim....been looking at replacement dash tops and fancy doing something different.....maybe a recover in a different material.... The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.

Albert Einstein
Post #258612 14th Aug 2013 1:29pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Post #258613 14th Aug 2013 1:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iPints

United States 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Got the tweeters, many thanks Steve.....

Not sure when I will get a chance to fit them......as I am off to Asia for a few weeks and then the US for a few more weeks....life is such a chore at times... Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.

Albert Einstein
Post #259840 19th Aug 2013 11:45am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #259842 19th Aug 2013 11:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12