Home > Expedition & Overland > Overland costijga
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
Overland costijga
Hi,

This may seem a rather basic question to the experienced traveller but has anyone gone on one of the guided overseas tours such as with LRO adventure club or Atlas overland. I can easily find out the costs of entry / ferries but want to know if anyone has an idea of overall costs. I appreciate that it's a case of "how long is a piece of string" to a certain extent but hoped someone might have a ball park figure.

I would like to go down to North Africa but this may well be out as camping is not possible for my wife due to problems with her back and mobility and we have two young kids so we would need some kind of accomodation.

Taking that out of the equation, are there organised trips to Spain or similar with accomodation and any idea of costings. Any personal experiences or suggestions would be great as its early days yet and will be at least next year or even the year after.

The further afield we go the more support we would need as because of not putting the kids in any unecccessary danger

Dave
Post #252965 22nd Jul 2013 12:33pm
walfy

Not quite what you are after but I went to Morocco with a group of mates a couple of years ago. Living in Warminster at the time, door to door costings were less than £2K. That included fuel, food, ferry and pocket money. This was me and the wife. Plus a couple of £K to prep the vehicle. Storedrawer, roofrack, rooftent, fridge etc etc.
Hope this helps 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #252970 22nd Jul 2013 12:43pm
v8bobber

That's interesting, and certainly a starter for 10.

How many miles would you say you did and how long were you away for. I guess fuel costs are relatively easy to work out, but I guess there is a "cost of living" to consider.

Did you go Dover / Calais or get the ferry to Spain first? I seem to remember that when I did the maths a month or so ago it was cheaper to drive rather than get the ferry although I did not consider the accomodation costs when I started throwing some numbers around.

I have a bog standard td5 double cab so I do not have to factor in the cost of the vehicle.

I guess the problem I have is convincing the other half to sleep in a roof tent!

Any other ideas / experiences?
Post #252993 22nd Jul 2013 1:39pm
walfy

I think it was 14 or 15 days. Ferry to Spain. Looked at driving down but then that put another 700+ miles on the clock plus the stress of driving. Ferry all the way. 24 hrs on a fery, booked a cabin. So had a decent meal and a few beers and then a decent bed to sleep in.
We rough camped for most of the trip and dropped into a campsite every 3 or 4 days to get a decent shower and use proper facilities.
Wife was excited about camping. Had a ground tent the first year when the Mrs went, The next year I went with a mate and I had a rooftent then. Well worth the money.
I am uncertain on the mileage but I think fuel was in the region of £600. I'm sure Mountain Man or TJ101 will be along shortly to offer their costings for the same trip 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #253006 22nd Jul 2013 2:02pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
You make it sound so simple Walfy ,, Shocked If only California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #253036 22nd Jul 2013 4:12pm
walfy

Which bit Tim? I wasn't commenting about the planning or route selection. I was just commenting on the costs I incurred on our trips. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #253037 22nd Jul 2013 4:15pm
v8bobber

TJ101 wrote:
You make it sound so simple Walfy ,, Shocked If only

Could you add in some more detail then please Tim?
Post #253145 23rd Jul 2013 4:07am
Aad & Marieke

Netherlands 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Morocco and Tunisia
Hello Dave,

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
We visited North Africa 3 times, 2x Morocco and 1xTunisia with our Defender, traveling from the Netherlands.

For us its a 2400km drive to southern Spain where we have redone three days, and slept on campings.
Then it's an hour's schipping from Algeciras to Ceuta (still Spanish territory).It took us half an hour, to past the border to Morocco with the formalities.
There are many campsites in Morocco where they often have rooms or cottages for rent.
The costs are very low diesel costs € 0.80, camping overnight stay for 2 people with car about € 5.00 and the food is also very cheap. Morocco has a lot of attractions, the five royal cities, mountains, desert and a long coastline, so one week you stay on a mountain with snow and the next week in the desert.

In Tunisia we drove from the Netherlands to Genoa in Italy, then it is an 24 hours by boat. It is a beautiful country with very friendly people and a big desert. Also there life is cheap. There are just a few campsites, and it will be more difficult to find a hotel in the countrysite.

If you want you can view our photos on the site: http://picasaweb.google.nl/defender90castelein and if there are any questions you can always send an email

Met vriendelijke groet /Best regards

Aad & Marieke Castelein
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”
St. Augustine
Post #253310 23rd Jul 2013 6:11pm
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
UK Land Rover Events based in the North East of England do a family friendly based camp Pyrenees; never been so can not comment other than what is on their website: http://www.uklandroverevents.com/pyrenees.htm Adventure isn't paved!
Post #253848 26th Jul 2013 5:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
v8bobber

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I can see that I will have to do some more work with the calculator and route planner....

Dave
Post #254488 29th Jul 2013 10:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1