↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > CONTRAVERSIAL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaun.mobile

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
CONTRAVERSIAL
ok, my 2011 defender has just been to the dealers for a new headlight switch and to have a few of the rusty bits replaced under warranty.

I have been driving around in a 2013 freelander.

I loved my defender before driving the freelander and after giving the freelander back and getting into the defender I still love it just as much.

my partner and her 12 year old thought the freelander looked great and I have to admit that with the built in satnav, phenomenally great sounding stereo, seamless Bluetooth link to my phone with all 700 odd contacts and 3000 songs, cruise control, auto box, and so the list goes on.

I had to agree that there was little to complain about other than IT WAS NOT AS MUCH FUN TO DRIVE AS THE DEFENDER AND IT DIDN'T PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE.

I like the defender for its commanding view of the road, ruggedness and the little luxuries it does have. I will never be an offroader and I will never treat it like a van.

if JLR could build a Defender replacement that looked less like a Skoda Yeti and more like a defender and managed to build it on a modern chassis and kit it out like the freelander I really believe that it would sell well in much the same way that the BMW mini has and the new (and newer) VW Beetle has.

the real issue is going to be price, the Defender is not expensive for its size and capability but pound for pound JLR probably make more money out of ewoks because they are designed and built for 21st century customers who expect bells and whistles.

the defender is like a bronica or roliflex or Nikon f1, state of the art 30 years ago however technology has overtaken it and the mass market does not want to be an enthusiast. they just want instant gratification and nobody buys a defender for that. we buy our defenders as lifestyle choices, we know what we are getting into.

I didn't like the DC100 concept however, if they could make it a little more traditional looking I think they will have a following from all those nostalgic series owners (we are back to the beetle and mini, there are more practical alternatives but people are buying a bit of their youth back and that is priceless).

ok, shoot me down whenever you are ready.
Post #241540 6th Jun 2013 8:58pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I'd buy a DC100 tomorrow for the reasons you mention below and not to replace my Defender/Hobby www.td5.org
Post #241549 6th Jun 2013 9:14pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I am working out my finance plans to do this. I think my wife's car will be replaced by the new defender so I can have the best of both worlds.
Post #241551 6th Jun 2013 9:22pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
RobKeay wrote:
I am working out my finance plans to do this. I think my wife's car will be replaced by the new defender so I can have the best of both worlds.

Exactly my plan. My only setback is me and the wife are not together now so need to find wife v2.0 for the plan to work Rolling with laughter 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #241613 7th Jun 2013 12:45am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Re: CONTRAVERSIAL
Post #241614 7th Jun 2013 4:56am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
RobKeay wrote:

on a previos thread I said the same Id buy a DC100 to replace the BM and use every day and still keep the 90 as my toy / holiday car DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #241618 7th Jun 2013 6:12am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
So long as there is a farmer special preferably in short wheel pickup that can tow legal max then all will be good but otherwise if there is not then that leaves a gaping hole in the market that nothing else fills. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #241619 7th Jun 2013 6:51am
Sonarmender

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Peoples views are all different, some like the DC100, and some just love the old world charm of the Defender?

The irony is, some not all who state their affection for the Defender then go out and do silly things like:

1. Lowering the suspension
2. Trimming the interior to look like a tarts handbag
3. Exterior alterations that make the thing look like a poodle oops DC100!

The list could go on and on but when all said and done it is a DEFENDER!
I beleive that there are far more people that like the DC100 than are letting on, the thing is, what will happen to the companys who tart up Defenders (you know who you are) Rolling with laughter when in essence Land Rover will manufacture one for the customer.

Long live the Defender, a proper british motor and a true icon Bow down and for those who fancy something a little more glam get a DC 100, if I have the money when and if the DC100 is released I will have both and leave my trusty Defender just as it was meant to be. Thumbs Up
That doesn't mean offcourse that you all can't chose what you personnally prefer. Idea
 You only have one life, live it....forget the cost.
90XS Hardtop
Post #241687 7th Jun 2013 12:28pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
JLR see a market for vehicle that can hopefully not look too silly parked outside a trendy pub or theatre, have enough 4WD capability to get to Val d'Isère in Winter and launch the jet-ski off the beach in Summer, and have customers paying a premium for the kudos of it being badged LAND ROVER.

If the Defender as we know it disappears, it’s ’cos it’s too much of a one-trick pony (it tows and it goes anywhere, that’s about it) and today appeals to too few people - to those accustomed to modern cars, once the initial five minutes of fun has worn off it’s the most uncomfortable, noisy, draughty, inconveniently high, uneconomical, ugly vehicle they’ve ever had the misfortune to sit in - and more importantly is no longer profitable to manufacture.

Sonarmender has the right idea: have both! I shall keep my truck for trucking - good for say ten years before it rusts through or becomes a pain to keep on the road - and a convertible DC100 or Evoque for the missus to step out of when she’s wearing high-heels and evening clothes. She actually drives the Defender more than me, but would NOT appreciate turning up somewhere posh in a truck and have everyone think she was a farmer.

Mind you, if they bring out another convertible edition of the SWB Defender before its eventual demise, she might just have to go by taxi…

Peter
Post #241746 7th Jun 2013 4:53pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Controversial 2
One thing Freelanders can have, Defenders can't, is an auto box (I know there are after market conversions, but how many auto Disco 2 boxes are left?)

The newest Jeep Wrangler range has no manual box models Shocked . I hope the DC won't follow that trend. There must be a manual version (with diff lock, high & low ranges).

Otherwise its Japanese makes for SWB manual.

The DC range may replace both Freelanders and Defenders. So 2WD, 4WD, auto, manual, low spec & high spec may all go into the options pot. "Freefender" Whistle Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #241988 8th Jun 2013 4:33pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
The only reason Defenders do not have an auto option is because Landrover never bothered to offer one. Engineering wise it would hardly have been difficult, the Disco 1 and 2 had them for a start and the Defender had the same engines... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #242042 8th Jun 2013 8:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1