↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > speaker advice.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
iPints

United States 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
speaker advice.....
Hi ICE guru's.....

I want to improve the sound sin my Landy and have acquired a sub box without speakers (2 x 12").

What front 4" speakers would you guys recommend and what 12" speakers would you recommend.

I dont really want to run an amp my head unit is fine and suits my needs.....my budget is limited but would just like to make things sound a little better than standard....

Advice and so on gratefully received
Post #238350 24th May 2013 5:01pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
You will need an amp for the subs Big Cry 2x12" is overkill IMHO(I have 2 10" and thats silly).
If you are only running 4" up front you will need something like Focal K2 powers , which will also need to be amped up in order to give you a balanced system. From what you've described so far budget wise minimum 800 + .
2 half decent 12" subs will be 200 on there own. Big Cry

Unless you have cash to burn, ditch the double sub box, go single (which will still require an amp) and a couple of 4" components up front (Ideally amped) could archive that for around the 500 mark
Post #238357 24th May 2013 5:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
4" speakers there is pretty much a limitless selection on those (Powered by the HU no trouble). The 12" speakers you mention don't you mean Subs?..... If so you will have to have an amp to power those. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #238358 24th May 2013 5:25pm
iPints

I guess i meant subs.....lol....

if i put in some decent 6 x 9's i shouldnt need an amp right?
Post #238372 24th May 2013 6:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You'll need an Amp for either 6x9's or Subs....
Otherwise you will be asking too much of the HU as A. it can't offer enough power. B it will run too hot and C you won't get very good sound quality or indeed power as it's just not available.
Whilst in some respects I agree with amping 4" speakers in others you will have to be very careful you don't over power them so the power output and looking at the ratings in the details is crucial or you will blow or damage them. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #238380 24th May 2013 6:29pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Post #238407 24th May 2013 8:52pm
iPints

RobKeay wrote:
Are these the ones to get??

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...-24104.htm

Wow that's to speedy for me......I just want slightly better sound quality over standard.
My Alpine HU is amped to 50 watts.......

My apologies but I am a complete novice with ICE.
Post #238419 24th May 2013 9:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
iPints wrote:

Wow that's to speedy for me......I just want slightly better sound quality over standard.
My Alpine HU is amped to 50 watts.......

Not sure if I'm really helping here and I don't know your brand preference but I have these:
http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/kfc-s1094-speakers
Although mine are the same mine have the previous grill type but power is the same. these are the most powerful of their 10cm range and my HU is also 4x 50w output. I really don't see the point in spending mega money on 4" speakers full stop as none are going to be as good as a larger speaker. You can however get the best for value IMO and make up for it in other ways.
In my view 4" speakers are good for mids and highs combined. You need a sub for lows and tweeters for highs. If you upgrade some without doing the others it can sound of and perhaps in some cases even worse than standard. My own is pretty much just right for me now except I am still running standard tweeters which I will change. Eventually.. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #238427 24th May 2013 9:57pm
iPints

I don't really have a brand preference.......that looks a better price to me.
So it is advisable to get an amp and better quality speakers and one sub....say 10"

I think my rear spears are standard too so improving front and back and adding an amp and sub should do the trick.

I think I am getting my head round all this.....thank you ICE Guru's
Post #238444 24th May 2013 11:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's pretty much the jist. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up You could of course go for the twin Subs and will give you a lot of bass perhaps too much even but will cost more and be more complicated to wire up. If your not overly concerned about having thumping bass then a single Sub will do. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #238445 25th May 2013 12:00am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Everyones opinions will differ but I totally agree about binning the twin sub box, if you wish to keep it low budget 8" sub (something like Vibe), swap original speakers for something like JVC (same 10cm size but with more capability no cutting or chopping involved) and buy an Alpine KTP-445 Slimline amplifier which will fit behind the dash and plug straight into your HU. Whole kit and kaboodle would cost you ballpark 300 and you'd be amazed at the improvement in sound.

Pretty much the same path I travelled. Thumbs Up

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...-26445.htm

Steve does know his stuff and I am just a 'tweaker and twiddler' budget is normally the main constraint. If not, you can go for it BIG time. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 25th May 2013 9:34am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #238455 25th May 2013 7:37am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
What your ideally looking for is higher RMS from a speaker. Magnet size/weight is usually a good indication of speaker quality. 6x9's are a compromise speaker and are good in certain situations, however IMO if you are going Sub route, don,t bother get good quality round. Wink
As (I'm Guessing) you don't have tweeters in the front, My first upgrade would be components, separate tweeter and mid range speaker. This will lift the sound stage and make the biggest single difference. 4 inch componants are limited, and expensive, but with a bit of a jiggle 5's will fit. I have shallow mounts in mine, Can't remember the depth, but about 50mm, with no spacer rings.
I would also advise you do it in stages, that way you can hear the benefits, and see what you need to improve on. Another good source of quality kit is fleabay. There are some real bargins, cheap as chips. Best if it can be seen running, and they have a high feedback score, cash on collection ideally Thumbs Up I recently passed on a mono amp to a fellow forum member for 50. Yes it was a couple of years old, but looked as new, was powerful, (could run 2 10" subs with ease) and represented a saving of 270 on the new equivalent.
Have a read through of Steve's definitive ICE thread, it will give you some ideas and knowledge. As ever were here to help if we can Thumbs Up
Post #238476 25th May 2013 9:00am
custom90

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
As ever we're here to help if we can Thumbs Up

+1 Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #238509 25th May 2013 10:48am
iPints

custom90steve wrote:
barbel jim wrote:
As ever we're here to help if we can Thumbs Up

+1 Very Happy

Thank you all i know have plans afoot and doing plenty of research....as always a great source of information. Thumbs Up
Post #238542 25th May 2013 1:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm sure you'll be just fine yourself but anything your not sure on give us a shout. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #238551 25th May 2013 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1