Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.4 TCDI instead of 1998 TD5 woodcote green
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Puma 2.4 TCDI instead of 1998 TD5 woodcote green
Hello

I got my first defender 2 weeks ago and I love it, it's the 1998 dovecote green conversion discussed in other threads here, the guy I bought it from has made me an offer as I want one to last now, he'll take back the 1998 TD5 and swap it for a late 2008 Puma 2.4 tcdi and another 6k, so about 14k in all......is it worth it, is the puma that much better. i know its a lot newer....not many extras on it like alloys...bull bars....steps etc......we want one that will possibly see us though15 years or so........interested in your comments......

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW

Last edited by johnnyd on 28th Apr 2013 8:39am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #231080 28th Apr 2013 8:25am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
take it out for a test drive but to be honest if you are in the market for a tdci, try a few.

technically the td5 is a lovely engine and sounds wonderful

I've had a 200/300/td5 and a tdci, they are all great engines and trucks but personally I think the puma is the best land rover for day to day and overlanding due to 6 speed gearbox and refinements.
Post #231082 28th Apr 2013 8:35am
bcarlin

Scotland 
I like the puma the best but the only thing that lets it down for me is the gearbox.
1st/2nd and 3rd are all wrong. 1st is to short
Post #231090 28th Apr 2013 8:59am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Puma has the best clutch of any Defender. A 2.4 won't be bothered with the DPF either. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #231132 28th Apr 2013 11:39am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
bpman wrote:
take it out for a test drive but to be honest if you are in the market for a tdci, try a few.

technically the td5 is a lovely engine and sounds wonderful

I've had a 200/300/td5 and a tdci, they are all great engines and trucks but personally I think the puma is the best land rover for day to day and overlanding due to 6 speed gearbox and refinements.

I agree - I've had the full range from s2 to the TDCI and have never had more smiles per mile as I have with the TDCI.
the drive is less stress and more relaxed than the TD5 which I thought could have done with another gear or an overdrive, the vehicle is the same, 110's havent changed that much over the years in functionality - more in asthetics with new dash and seats.
The biggest improvent in the cab for me is the heater - once you have had a puma in the winter you will never go back to a TD5 or TDi. all the rest is bling ... and you can add bling till the cows come home - just look at the posts on here to see that we all do that - and as was mentioned recently here - a Defender is project, not a purchase ! Cool

the queston you have to ask if you want to keep a car for 15 years from today - why would start with a car that is already 15 yrs old with possible rotting doors and rear crossmember when you can have a 6 yr old car that you have a chance to prevent these things happing to Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #231138 28th Apr 2013 12:09pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
To me its all about character. Yes the TDCI is more refined, as it should be. People are already saying the 2.2 is an improvement over the 2.4. To me it was a trade off between character and a heater. I stayed with Character Whistle and the correct number of cylinders Wink
IMHO if we had all the creature comforts of a euro box or at least attempting to replicate them, Then I may as well buy and run one. It would be alot cheaper, comfy and I wouldn't have something to moan about, or fix Rolling with laughter

Regards rust - Isn't that supplied as standard new ??

Ultimately it's your choice, see what you think to the puma, how it's pros and cons and make a educated decision. Sticking with your TD5 will attract more attention as it is rarer Wink (all be it men Rolling with laughter )
Post #231143 28th Apr 2013 12:29pm
K9F

You didn't mention what model of TDCI you've been offered, mileage etc. With the fact you purchased a vehicle without realising it was a converted one plus the issues you've had with potential oil ingress in the ECU harness, MAF problem etc. at least with a trade up with 'no or few extras' as described you'll be getting one that hasn't been 'messed with.' Take it for a spin and go over it with a fine toothcomb checking for all the 'usual suspects' only you can really gauge whether or not to go for it.

Thumbs Up

A couple of links on what to look for and help you decide. If these things have been addressed it'll give a good indication of how it's been treated. Hope this helps....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18948.html?highlight=suspects

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic6793.html?highlight=silk If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #231186 28th Apr 2013 4:06pm
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Putting the whole tdci vs td5 debate to one side the question you really want to be asking yourself is why does the bloke want his old one back and get rid of the new one?! The TD5 you have must be a good one if he wants it back! Or possibly the tdci he has brought is a disappointment Confused 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #231194 28th Apr 2013 4:47pm
K9F

The seller is obviously in the game to make money (presume it is a dealer of some descript)....Dependant on model, year and mileage of course, the deal doesn't sound to bad in principle, another 6 grand for an 'undoctored' vehicle which is 10 years younger with all the refinements of a Puma....for me personally as he wants a 'keeper' to last yet another 15 years or so it's a no brainer.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #231216 28th Apr 2013 6:42pm
johnnyd

I have decided not to for the moment........so its back to the TD5 Woodcote Green Smile

It was a conversion Sad

Many Thanks to K9F for some excellent advice also Wink

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #231650 30th Apr 2013 8:50am
K9F

Very welcome. Thumbs Up Glad you had time to carefully consider everything and make a well-balanced and reasoned decision.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #231733 30th Apr 2013 1:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1