↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clunky gearbox on 2009 Puma?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
So that is 1-0 GB vs. TC Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #19905 12th Dec 2009 1:59am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Yep GB / well selector but never had in stock so got compleat GB Sorted Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #19906 12th Dec 2009 2:31am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I never got it. What is the story behind the selector? Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #19907 12th Dec 2009 2:44am
fekete

Theres a plastic selector on top of the gear box, where the gear stick meets the box and it wears and thats what makes the hard gear change NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #19912 12th Dec 2009 11:34am
Niel

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Got my 110 back with new clutch, gearbox, rear diff.
Wow what a difference that new gearbox makes. No more clucking and even the low range is soo much smoother to select. It really makes a massive difference. What a pleasure to drive.
Unfortunatly i cant say the same for the diff. It still whines like a pig. Will drive it for a while and then comment on that one. Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #20062 14th Dec 2009 1:52pm
Jacobus

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
After about 10k miles on my Nov 08 reg Puma I started to notice gearchnages becoming very clunky. When in for 12k mile service, the dealer road tested, checked all bolts etc and more or less said that they couldn't find anything wrong. 'It's a Defender, what do you expect.' After service I was not happy and took it back again - same result. The customer satyifaction unit at Land Rover always follows up to check on dealers. I mentioed my concerns and eventually the dealer had the vehicle back to check again.

By now there was a new noise, a clattering when starting up or turning off the engine. If I depressed the clutch while doing either the noise wasn't there. I was aware of problems with the clutch fitted to earlier vehicles but had discounted this as a cause because mine was way beyond the chassis number at which the old clutch should have been withdrawn.

The first thing the dealer checked was the clutch. The one fitted was the old part supposedly withdrawn. The springs were very loose (apparently the metal seatings for the springs are not hard enough and wear very rapidly).

New clutch fitted and perfectly silent gearchanges the result.
Post #20814 27th Dec 2009 11:54pm
shorty

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Chawton White
niel / fekete, when you say gear box do you mean transfer box or main gear box? My 08 Puma had 4 transfer boxes and it didnt make a difference. Amongst many other issues the vehicle had, Land Rover swopped it for a brand new 09 which drives like a dream until now. 18000 km later and the wheels are beginning to fall off the wagon. Heavy clunking has arrived with a chattering transfer box. I think the quality of the parts are shocking. Sure it will feel great after major components have been replaced but I put my bottom dollar on the problems raising their ugly neck in the not so distant future. I thought Id never hear myself say this,especially as ive only owned 8 Land Rovers since I got my drivers license but the Land Cruiser 70 series is looking very attractive. Land Rover's don't leak oil, they simply mark their territory!
Post #22889 25th Jan 2010 1:06pm
fekete

Shorty, i had a new main gear box and now all sorted... i'v got one of the first 07 and never had a problem with the transfer box....hope this helps Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #22893 25th Jan 2010 2:28pm
Niel

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Shorty, i hear what you are saying about the land cruiser..... mine is now back at the dealers with another list of 20 issues. I think the clutch is going again and the transfer box is making a hell of a grinding sound. I got a rental car for the next 2 weeks. The dealer told me the bill so far for my car is R40k, wonder how much that will be after the next 2 weeks. Anyway back to your question. I was talking about the main gearbox. Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #22929 26th Jan 2010 10:18am
dgardel

Italy 
fekete wrote:
Theres a plastic selector on top of the gear box, where the gear stick meets the box and it wears and thats what makes the hard gear change

I opened the cover, extract the gear stick and selector, then and I put a lot of grease (white teflon grease mixed with molybdenum disulfide [MoS2] grease, 50%-50%)........ Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #22930 26th Jan 2010 10:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fekete

dgardel has this helped or made it smother..as mine is still very slightly stiff going in to second when cold NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #22934 26th Jan 2010 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12