↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > land rover improvement suggestions for Kelly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
rover

United Kingdom 
If Land Rover made the 3.2 Ford Ranger engine an option I could turn a blind eye to any other issues.

The 2.2 makes towing hard work.
Post #225193 7th Apr 2013 2:30pm
Romadog

Currently driving a 2.2 ranger Doublecab. Goes ok, but more oomph from a 3.2 when towing wouldn't go a miss, or have I been spoilt using a D£ for towing since I last towed with a Td5 Defender. Main problem when I drove down a track yesterday in the Ranger, was the fact that at apprx 15mph the back end kicked out like I was driving on ice/marbles.....cart springs on rear and nothing in pickup bed with long wheelbase, will be the problem there. Also really hate driving in 2wd and having to switch to 4wd when 2 wheels touch a verge ! At least in a Defender you don't need to go so far as locking the centre diff untill Its blindingly obvious that the road ahead may cause loss of traction. Also if LR look at the Ranger for anything else, please do not block the drivers view down a left hand turn with the deep 'a' pillar and fat mirrors. Big mirrors are good, but not with the fat windscreen pillar as well. Please keep seating position like the D3 with ggod movement backwards not with feet out in front of you and minimal movement back wards as in these Jap trucks.
Post #225222 7th Apr 2013 5:15pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Do something about the absolute chronic variability of the dealer franchises. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to what some will cover under warranty yet others will not. Variability in the pricing and standards of servicing is another area that requires attention - some need reminding that grease nipples and level / filler plugs are there for a reason.

And no, I don't buy the line that [quote] 'improvements in manufacturing processes' now means that Defenders are now more corrosion resistant and have done away with the need to apply some form of anti corrosion wax to the undersides, chassis and cavities. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #226248 11th Apr 2013 10:59am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
Personally, I'd like Kelly to get an an engineering answer to why they don't galvanise the chassis

I asked that question at the factory and the answer was something along the lines of "the galvanising process may cause the chassis to warp slightly, thus causing manufacturing alignment issues"

Obviously I didn't argue with that, but it didn't sound quite right to me if you can buy a galvy chassis from one of several manufacturers and people seem to have got them to fit together correctly. I'd have thought that it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to have some available as an option at say £1000 extra (or whatever the cost of a chassis is). Then they would have a non galvy one to use for free virtually!

If that option was available I'd have chosen it over fancy lights (or as well probably Smile ) and I can't for the life of me understand why as you can now spec the colour of the roof! so why not the finish of the chassis. Considering the fact that the production line can make every one different, lhd, rhd 90,110,130, different body/colour/trim etc, thats got to be possible. Ok they would need to have in effect 6 chassis options, but there must be more other options than that.

There must be another reason why, maybe its so we buy another one when the first one has rotted out Whistle

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #226255 11th Apr 2013 11:26am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
[quote="d j hutton"]
Quote:

There must be another reason why, maybe its so we buy another one when the first one has rotted out Whistle

DJ

Got it in one, it is not in their interest to build vehicles that last for years and years. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #226307 11th Apr 2013 3:09pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Please, do something with the dealers abroad.

Here in Chile the dealer charges for one spare 4 to 5 times the list price of a spare in UK.
I can accept maybe an increment of 100% due the freight cost and inventory management, but 400% is too much.

That means that I leave them as soon as I end my guarantee and request directly the spares from UK at least at 1/3 of the price. And you know that the loyalty can be very fragile.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #226327 11th Apr 2013 3:54pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
A 3.2 engine, galvanised chassis and a slightly wider load area door would suit me Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #226391 11th Apr 2013 6:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12