Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nidge n

The dogs :censored:
Post #223477 30th Mar 2013 6:21pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Only just read this, sounds almost too good to be true. Having visited land rover over a month ago there's a real buzz about the place. I am really looking forward to the new model and have a serious saving plan under way.
Post #224926 5th Apr 2013 7:19pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
“I don’t want to do a heavy-duty, dual-purpose, incredibly durable vehicle that looks like the dog’s dinner. Why can’t a car that’s incredibly durable and workable look good as well? A bit like Daniel Craig…”

Er... pretty bad analogy - Daniel Craig is an actor. He just pretends to do stuff Rolling Eyes
I hope the "New Defender" isn't just make-believe Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #224942 5th Apr 2013 8:20pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Interesting article Thumbs Up

I guess some of us can take comfort from these words:

“We’ve moved it on from [DC100], and I think we’ve got something now that is even more relevant and even more desirable, and even the traditionalists will love me for it."

However, given that he's looking for a far larger market, it's interesting to know the general level of positive response the DC100 received:

“We did a survey of the response to [DC100]. We got 250,000 respondents on the internet: 90 per cent of them loved it – pretty good – eight per cent were indifferent and two per cent wanted to kill me, and I was worried about that two per cent,” McGovern joked."
Post #225347 8th Apr 2013 7:38am
Setok

Finland 
I do wonder where those Internet statistics are coming from. The amount of bad comments about the DC100 showed that a lot of people did not see it as a Defender, even if it would be ok otherwise. So it was not really doing its job.
Post #225395 8th Apr 2013 11:54am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Step back and look at current form.

Discovery 2 -> 3
Whoaaa, what a design change, turned out to be a brilliant car.

Freelander 1 -> 2
Massive step change improvement

FFRR -> New FFRR
Can't see the RR boys complaining

The problem with people is they fear change, look at the outcry when the Puma had no vents. Any of you Puma drivers want to swap your vents for the good heater and aircon you have?

Defender is part of the iconic brand they know this down at Gaydon, they are clever chaps & chapeses and will ensure that it successor sells. We may not be the best at putting cars together in the UK but when it comes to design we're pretty good.
Post #225412 8th Apr 2013 12:57pm
Setok

Finland 
None of those vehicles (Disco, Freelander etc) are even close to being as iconic as the Defender. Even the Range Rover isn't. I agree, though, that there is always opposition to change, and I would myself prefer to see improvements, not just change (as in, I'd prefer to have *both* the vents and a good heater). I don't want things to stay still — that would be even more frustrating. But I want the next iteration of the Defender to be worthy of the name. A great purebred offroad utility vehicle.

So I'll again point to shining examples of how an icon has been continuously developed: the Porsche 911 & the Jeep Wrangler. Even with the latest versions you can recognise the pedigree.

But most of all I don't want to lose the things that appeal in a Defender: the modularity, the simplicity and the rough utilitarian functionality. The latest comments seem to point to the Defender replacement being closer to that than the DC100, but let's see when something concrete comes out.
Post #225426 8th Apr 2013 2:20pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Rolling with laughter

Couple of quotes from similar threads believe it or not 3 years ago when people were 'holding off' buying a Defender awaiting the launch of the 'new one.'

K9F wrote:
Believe it or not I have it on good authority as I have an 'insider source' well, office cleaner actually Laughing
that they are considering retaining the original characature of the vehicle whilst meeting the great expectations of the American market also manufacturing the vehicle out of a totally non-corrosive material and thus allowing it to meet stringent criteria by being able to sit on it's roof without total collapse. It will also be available in kit form for those enthusiasts to build their own at home in whatever colours they wish.

We should run a book on how many posts this thread will have by the time the 'New Defender' launch date is announced around 2020. Are people seriously considering holding off purchasing a Defender today to await the launch of the 'New One' er.....helllooooo wake up please.....It'll be a mobility scooter you'll be needing not a Land Rover.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Another from two years ago:

K9F wrote:
"He believes that whatever solution Land Rover finally picks, ‘it won’t please everyone’, because with so many fans and opinions it will be difficult to avoid disappointing some."

We will undoubtedly bleat as loud and be just as critical and vociferous when the new one is launched as TD5 owners were on the launch of the Puma and TDI owners before that and .........!

Thumbs Up

Wonder where the nearest mobility scooter dealer is? Rolling with laughter Bow down If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #225428 8th Apr 2013 2:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1