↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Suggestions for new radio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
bpman wrote:
a little off topic ... I put the OEM land rover unit back into my truck after the parrot unit died and connected it to the Focal sub woofer, and with standard speakers and the standard unit, I think it sounds fine, you won't get radio5 but maybe try adding a sub first and go from there ?

I absolutely agree Thumbs Up
After mucking about a bit with HUs and speakers, all I did was stick with the original setup, add a small powered sub and the sound is exactly to my liking and plenty loud enough (but I do have a Puma) - each to their own.
I would, however, like a screen I can use for a reversing camera. After looking at x-number of shiny Chiny things, I am slowly giving up hope Sad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #212052 18th Feb 2013 9:18am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I'm happy with the sound of my standard radio. I don't listen to music much, mainly Radio 5 & podcasts.

What I want is the functionality to connect phone (which has my podcasts on it) as well rear camera input plus DAB for better reception.

Seems I need to go to double DIN unit to get all this in one unit. I'd be happy with a flip out too, but can't find my wish list in that form factor either... Sad

Cheers

Simon
Post #212053 18th Feb 2013 9:20am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
This looked interesting from the pictures but as for the rest:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/38967677...d.html?s=p

"5. Top fashion design, customer said yes." Rolling with laughter Bow down Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #212056 18th Feb 2013 9:46am
couplands

My plan is to use a Mudstuuf dash to house radio, CB and switches, so double DIN won't fit. Plus the cost is getting too high (although the quality ..!, item in the link is cheap enough) for the features I want.

Cheers

Simon
Post #212058 18th Feb 2013 9:53am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
I'd be happy with a flip out too, but can't find my wish list in that form factor either..

You might well be able to add a hidden dab unit to some of the single din flip outs, I know Clarion do one and most likely others will as well. The Clarion one only lists three compatible units but it may well work with others with the correct connection.

Also there are after market dab units which will plug into a rear aux socket.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #212062 18th Feb 2013 10:03am
custom90

United Kingdom 
couplands wrote:

Seems I need to go to double DIN unit to get all this in one unit. I'd be happy with a flip out too, but can't find my wish list in that form factor either... Sad

Cheers

Simon

You could I can think of one right now easily. Except for DAB but as DJ said add and afteermarket DAB unit onto it and it's sorted. Trouble is it'll stretch your budget! Check out the Kenwood KVT-526 DVD (The new version of mine) Add a camera and BT then aftermarket DAB and your sorted. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #212079 18th Feb 2013 11:49am
couplands

I'm still on the lookout for a head unit with the following (as per my OP). Just wondered if any of the suppliers have new units coming out...?

>>
- Bluetooth phone connection
- Bluetooth audio
- DAB radio
- no CD (preferably, not a deal breaker)
- screen that will show rear camera input
- single DIN

cheers

simon
Post #223648 31st Mar 2013 11:09am
custom90

United Kingdom 
the 526 would do all of that. You'd just need the BT-300 module and an aftermarket DAB adaptor. Yes, 2 DIN has all in one but would you want to pay for and have features you'll possibly never use? With the single you can have what you want added and nothing else. DAB would be ideal in general and should be in-built into all makes and models as standard IMO or at least come into being. CD's may as well become obsolete too as no one hardly uses them.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #223654 31st Mar 2013 11:42am
couplands

I don't want aftermarket DAB, I want it all in 1 unit. Seems the Kenwood needs add-on boxes - for BT as well..?

Otherwise, I'd go for separate rear-camera monitor (possibly using the mirror) and then I can get a decent BT + DAB mechless head unit, but was hoping I could get it all in one - also not keen on a flip screen, so I think I'm stuffed..Wink

I was hoping the vendors would have moved on and announced some new DAB units, with the other features I want. I guess they don't see enough demand - folks seems to go for big amps, lots of speakers for their radios - whatever next.. Shocked

Cheers

Simon
Post #223660 31st Mar 2013 12:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12