↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > CarHome Ultra (Android App)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
CarHome Ultra (Android App)
Now my Brodit Kit is installed for my Galaxy S3, I can use CarHome Ultra properly.

Great App that turns your Android phone into a touch screen dashboard with easy to use buttons and also some live GPS calculated data.

As you can see from the photos, it shows the street you are currently at (even the actual address which is scary!). If you press it, it reads it out to you along with the speed display. The widgets can be changed to others and the buttons can be changed to launch any app you want. You can configure upto 18 buttons to do different things, even contact quick dial.

I also tested the Google Search feature this morning whilst driving and even with the background noise it still got it right first time.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...wsMSwyLDNd

The app is free for 30 days, but only costs £2.48

Click image to enlarge

It must get its info from Google for the address, scary that it actually shows my house address! Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Great little (Beta) feature is that when a new track starts playing, the details are shown at the top for a few seconds. It says it only works for Google's music player, but I use GoneMad and it works just fine. I stream my audio via BT to the Headunit.

Click image to enlarge

Also has a night mode (both day and night colours can be customised), this can be auto taken from the Dusk/Dawn times.

Click image to enlarge

This is another page of buttons.

Click image to enlarge

I also have a Land Meter installed, great feature that also has alarm conditions, only issue is, if you move the phones position, then it needs to be re-calibrated on flat ground.

Click image to enlarge

The next step is to get Torque running. Which can show realtime information - Better than a Scanguage??? Certainly better looking! Currently, I only have a cheap BT OBD unit that is great for fault diags and does provide realtime info, but it's not the quickest at updating and also doesn't have power management, so will drain the battery when parked up.

I will be getting a OBDLink MX unit in the future which is the fastest and most reliable OBD scanner that also has security and power management so it can be left connected all the time.

Now, you may think.... that you can't run the BT OBD and also stream audio and phone to the Headunit at the same time. Yep, you can, because they are different BT services, you can use both BT devices at the same time.

The dials can be changed for other dials and you can have pages and pages of them. It also works out MPG calculations too.

Click image to enlarge

Torque also does GPS tracking too which is a nice feature (yes, I've pixelated the map!)

Click image to enlarge

The app can also work in portrait mode.

Click image to enlarge

The other thing that this now also does is turn the device into a video player. Not recommended whilst driving, but you can swivel the mount at the passenger and they can watch a video, which of course streams the audio through the Headunit.

Thumbs Up Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #212579 20th Feb 2013 10:03am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Looks like a good setup and a good alternative to having something permanently installed. Thumbs Up

Scanguage watch out!

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #212592 20th Feb 2013 10:33am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: CarHome Ultra (Android App)
x-isle wrote:
I will be getting a OBDLink MX unit in the future which is the fastest and most reliable OBD scanner

Thanks for sharing - looks very interesting.

Seems to be that this part is the weakest link in current systems for those wanting realtime updates. What sort of speeds are you looking at getting with the new unit.
Post #212612 20th Feb 2013 11:44am
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Re: CarHome Ultra (Android App)
Supacat wrote:
What sort of speeds are you looking at getting with the new unit.

With android, it'll run at 62 PIDs/second. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #212613 20th Feb 2013 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1