↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance want to bump premium up for fitting an RAi?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Insurance want to bump premium up for fitting an RAi?
I rang my insurer to inform them I wanted to fit an RAI to my 110. They seemed totally perplexed as to what such a thing was, they seemed to think it was something to do with the exhaust! I explained what it was and they asked if it affected the performance, I told them no. After being on hold they came back and said it would add on about another 100 a year just for having an RAI! I explained that they are a factory option, but their answer was that that would be fine, but if I fit it myself it is considered a "modified vehicle" and I have to pay more.

Is this normal? I can understand them wanting more for, say, a chipped vehicle or something, but for a bit of plastic pipe up the windscreen? The extra insurance would not be much less than the cost of a new mantec RAI. Should I just fit one and not tell them, or just leave it until renewal time and go to someone who knows what they are dealing with?

Thoughts and suggestions please.
Post #203358 19th Jan 2013 5:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'd get shot of them. If their like that imagine what they'd be like if you wanted to claim... Plenty of other insurance companies out there. And your right a RAI or Snorkel is NOT a performance modification. Let's face it what Defender out there isn't modified with something or other? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #203366 19th Jan 2013 5:58pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Made no difference to my insurance thru Flux's.

Andy.
Post #203370 19th Jan 2013 6:02pm
22900013A

custom90steve wrote:
I'd get shot of them. If their like that imagine what they'd be like if you wanted to claim... Plenty of other insurance companies out there. And your right a RAI or Snorkel is NOT a performance modification. Let's face it what Defender out there isn't modified with something or other?

What bugs me is that when I fitted the side steps I got off Bob Neville, they said no problem and just made a note of them. I don't see why an RAI would be any different? I think as we are mid-term with them at the mo, I will fit one later when its renewal time.
Post #203382 19th Jan 2013 6:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

Andy Jeff wrote:
Made no difference to my insurance thru Flux's.

Andy.

For some reason I remember their quote being VERY high for me, but might have to revisit them at renewal time.
Post #203383 19th Jan 2013 6:30pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Try 'Flux Direct' first. They are a sister company to Adrian Flux and as they are internet-based you can get a cheaper quote from them than Adrian Flux themselves. Adrian Flux will then honour the quote from their sister company.

http://www.fluxdirect.co.uk/?rw.cm=GOOGLE,...tAodVzAAuw If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #203386 19th Jan 2013 6:46pm
22900013A

K9F wrote:
Try 'Flux Direct' first. They are a sister company to Adrian Flux and as they are internet-based you can get a cheaper quote from them than Adrian Flux themselves. Adrian Flux will then honour the quote from their sister company.

http://www.fluxdirect.co.uk/?rw.cm=GOOGLE,...tAodVzAAuw

Thankyou for the tip!
Post #203389 19th Jan 2013 6:51pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I suppose that they assume that by fitting a raised air intake that you are the type that that will use it (why else would you fit one if it wasn't to wade through water?) and therefore you are subjecting your vehicle (which they insure) to greater risk of damage. Not saying I agree with it, but there is some logic in there somewhere.

Steve
Post #203395 19th Jan 2013 7:01pm
22900013A

borderterrier wrote:
I suppose that they assume that by fitting a raised air intake that you are the type that that will use it (why else would you fit one if it wasn't to wade through water?) and therefore you are subjecting your vehicle (which they insure) to greater risk of damage. Not saying I agree with it, but there is some logic in there somewhere.

Steve

Possibly, but that is why I did not use the word "Snorkle" as I have no intention of using it for wading! My main concern is keeping the dust out.
Post #203398 19th Jan 2013 7:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
borderterrier wrote:
I suppose that they assume that by fitting a raised air intake that you are the type that that will use it (why else would you fit one if it wasn't to wade through water?)
Steve

A RAI isn't for wading. A Snorkel is though. Equally that said many of us have winches / underside protection that is rarely used and in some cases never used so I can't see it. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #203399 19th Jan 2013 7:08pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
NFU were brilliant for me View things slightly different (old skool) Thumbs Up
Post #203408 19th Jan 2013 7:33pm
borderterrier

custom90steve wrote:
borderterrier wrote:
I suppose that they assume that by fitting a raised air intake that you are the type that that will use it (why else would you fit one if it wasn't to wade through water?)
Steve

A RAI isn't for wading. A Snorkel is though. Equally that said many of us have winches / underside protection that is rarely used and in some cases never used so I can't see it.

RAI/snorkel they are one one in the same, certainly marketed that way by those that sell them Very Happy

Steve
Post #203413 19th Jan 2013 7:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They are compared and passed off as the same in general but crucially they are different. Insurers don't know the difference really full stop if you ask me. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #203415 19th Jan 2013 7:50pm
borderterrier

maybe someone should brief them

Steve
Post #203428 19th Jan 2013 8:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1