↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Back door adjustment.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cracka

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Back door adjustment.
G'day Guys,

I am looking at putting a rear wheel carrier on my Puma 90, but the back door is about 5mm lower on the lock side than the hinge side. This is when measured along the bottom gap.

I am trying to alleviate some rattle issues I have with it. I have elongated the holes in the striker plate (mounted on the body) to pull the door in tighter against the seal. I can see with the door being lower on that side the underside of the inner edge of the door is rubbing (paint has rubbed through about 40mm in length) on the outer edge of the gal strip which holds the bottom weather strip in place, so I definitely need to adjust the door.

I have removed the spare wheel/tyre and loosened the body side hinge bolts hoping to see some adjustment but found the holes are are snug size just for the bolts so no adjustment available.

Does anybody here know how Land Rover adjust these things if they are returned under warranty, do they just slightly elongate the holes in the body, which I assume is the only way, or is there another ingenious method of doing this. I know what others will say, return it and let them do it, but I'm 3 hours drive from my nearest dealer, plus I honestly would prefer to do it myself IF POSSIBLE that is.

I would like to do this before I buy and fit a carrier, so fire away with your knowledge.........

Thanks

Mick.

Last edited by Cracka on 3rd Jan 2013 12:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #198325 2nd Jan 2013 10:52am
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'd be interested on how this should be done too. Mine could do with a tweak, but I'd not tried up until now as I had no idea on the correct procedure.

Pete
Post #198591 3rd Jan 2013 12:39pm
Cracka

Ahhhhh Pete,

I got all excited then, my email alert chime went I thought beauty, over 150 views and my first answer.

Logged in only to find your having the same issue getting an answer, it must be part of the dark arts and nobody wants to let us in Laughing Laughing

Did you have a go at your door Pete, if so did you have any adjustment available, I'm guessing not as you have posted here Wink

I hope somebody can give us some guidance on this, pleeeeeease Crying or Very sad

Mick.
Post #198599 3rd Jan 2013 12:47pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I would have a quick check on the whole rear panel being "square". Take a diagonal measurement say from a common point on each side of the cross member to a like point on the gutter just incase the back of your motor is on a "slant" or out of true due to an accident or woe betide LR didn't build the thing "square" in the first place Whistle
Post #198611 3rd Jan 2013 1:24pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Undo all bolts on the 3 hinges on door side. You should then have enough movement to adjust to desired position. Once happy, tighten one hinge at a time,I tend to start with top. Then, check position after tightening each hinge. If ok carry on, if its moved go back and adjust. You only really need to adjust top and bottom hinges as the door can be fully held without movement by these two. Then, once happy, finally tighten middle hinge.

Cheers

Steve
Post #198651 3rd Jan 2013 3:16pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
You could need new brass balls in the hinges as these ware over time causing the door to drop. I'd recommend putting a full stainless rear door hinge bolt set in at the same time, these can be found reasonably cheep on uk eBay or I'm sure some of the site sponsers may supply them Thumbs Up
Ray
Post #198667 3rd Jan 2013 4:36pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Quote:
Did you have a go at your door Pete

Sorry to get your hopes up there with my reply, but no I haven't touched it. It's only two years old but been slightly lower on the LHS from day one. Functionally it works fine, doesn't touch anywhere and doesn't leak. It's more of an aesthetics thing in my case.

Pete
Post #198686 3rd Jan 2013 5:32pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
When I went on the Solihull Defender factory tour I watched them fit the rear doors Shocked

One man in a brown overcoat held the door roughly in place, whilst a second man dressed in identical attire used a drill to drill holes through the hinges and into the body. He then passed some bolts through and tightened the nuts up on the inside. Done!!

So as for 'how do LR adjust the door', I guess they don't!
Post #198774 3rd Jan 2013 10:44pm
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Jee whiz, when I first read that topic title I had a fit of the school boy giggles!
Post #198790 3rd Jan 2013 11:29pm
Cracka

Thanks a lot for the advice guys I do appreciate it.

JWL, I will look at the 'squareness' issue, hopefully that won't be the issue.

Mk1collector, the hinges themselves are tight, there is absolutley no movement when trying to lift the door when open slightly. I should have put in my post the car is a March 2012 with 10000 kms on it.

SteveG, I will give that a go to see if there is adjustment there as I only tried on the body side.

Egghead, Rolling with laughter damn it, I didn't think of that, maybe should have read 'rear door'.

I will report back when I have some results, have got some 'house' stuff do do today.

Mick
Post #198812 4th Jan 2013 12:43am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If its that new take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it Thumbs Up
Post #198821 4th Jan 2013 1:58am
Cracka

Yes I know I should, but if I can find out how 'they' do it, it would save the the nearly 6 hour round trip, hence the reason I started this thread. And no doubt they will only give it to the apprentice to sort out, I don't mean any disrespect to apprentices by that comment either Smile

Mick
Post #198823 4th Jan 2013 2:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1