↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Iceland when to go
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Iceland when to go
Planning for next years trip to Iceland. Looking for advice from those in the know ! Route from UK roughly planned. Considering end of June once trails are open.

So when is best time to go ? 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #162743 17th Aug 2012 10:35pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Limited really by the short summer period and availability on the boat. Within that timeframe I don't really think it matters that much as it's just a gamble on the weather.

How long are you planning on going for?
Post #177857 21st Oct 2012 11:03pm
Landlord

Thanks for the reply, shelved the idea until 2014 as we're off to Nordkapp in January instead. Would have been a bit much to do both next year. Will start planning Iceland later next year for the following June 2014 Thumbs Up 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #177884 22nd Oct 2012 8:44am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Still seems a fair bit of interest in Iceland on this forum - I'll have to dig my old photos out. Must have been a while ago as I they pre-date my digital camera!

I did it solo in a Discovery so maybe not the right forum to share the photos!

One thing I do remember though that I haven't seen people mention (maybe because it has changed now?) is that on arrival off the boat you went off to customs to register/log your vehicle and pay a one off fuel duty cost. This was based on the weight of your vehicle (as declared by you) and was meant to offset the fact that fuel at the pumps was actually quite cheap (when compared to the then UK prices). I'm not sure now whether fuel was subsidised or just relatively lowly taxed there?
Post #177904 22nd Oct 2012 10:07am
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I went to Iceland for the Summer Solstice where it's basically daylight/twilight 24hours a day - nice to get photos right through the day. Not much good if you want to see the night sky though

However, having done a limited amount of reading on the subject (I plan to take my truck there at some point over the next few years) the following factors come to mind and could be important depending on your plans

1 - if you plan to do many off-road river crossings then the time of year dicates the amount of melt-water there is
2 - if you plan to go across the centre of the island then you may find the routes barred for most of the year - some routes were still barred in late June. Guide books reckon on mid-July to be sure
3 - you should consider going as part of a convoy
Post #178132 22nd Oct 2012 10:09pm
LRSoffroad

England 
Hi Landlord wow where do i start ?? take a look at my gallery photos and i can start from there its an AWSOME place , and i will be off in 2013 august as will a few others not togetthere but we will meet up somewhere
pm me i can fill you with loads of info
Post #190121 1st Dec 2012 7:45pm
Landlord

Landlord wrote:
Thanks for the reply, shelved the idea until 2014 as we're off to Nordkapp in January instead. Would have been a bit much to do both next year. Will start planning Iceland later next year for the following June 2014 Thumbs Up

Thanks LRS but as mentioned have now delayed until 2014 due to a little trip to Norway next January. Will be picking your brains on Iceland next year .

BTW the long range tank bought off you in September and now installed - great piece of kit Thumbs Up 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #190489 3rd Dec 2012 12:43am
LRSoffroad

England 
Hi Landlord no worries i love the place its epic, i have some photos in my gallery on hear take a look Thumbs Up glad you got the tank fitted it means you can get to places with out refilling Mr. Green
Post #192446 10th Dec 2012 8:30pm
Grizzly110

United Kingdom 
Went to Iceland 2008 & 2011, i agree its awesome, i will never get board of the place i hope to revisit in 2014, we did three weeks on the first trip and it was hard going i was proper shagged out when i got home. Also the land rover parts service out there is fantastic, we had a disco 1 break its steering drop arm joint, we ordered a part from Reykjavik 200 miles away at 9am and at 12pm it arrived by airmail at the local airport!
My advise is if you can go then do it, it beats Nordkapp by miles.

John "One Life Get One"
Post #198776 3rd Jan 2013 10:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1