↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2012 2.2 TDCi Revs drop right off during gear change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Staftly

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
2012 2.2 TDCi Revs drop right off during gear change
Hi there, took delivery of a 2012 2.2 110 Utility XS a few months ago. Occasionally, between gear changes, the engine revs drop right off and the engine seems to be fractionally response less. This results in a noisy and very clunky gear change. I very often 'blip' the throttle between gear changes, particularly when under load to ensure a smoother gear change (a throw back to when I was younger and drove cars with lumpy cams I guess). Does anyone out there have similar experiences? It almost feels like the engine has died in between gear shifts. Is it a case of waiting for a decent remap for the 2.2?
Thanks, Steve.
Post #183093 8th Nov 2012 12:39am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
I think the 2.2 rev matches when changing gear in the higher gears, blipping the throttle or pausing too long during gear changes may cause some confusion to the engine. I know my 3.2 TDCi rev matches and makes for nice smooth change, only problem comes when changing up but not applying throttle, tends to rev match then suddenly drop off when the ecu realises you are not going to apply any throttle. Some people have had a 2.2 a lot longer than me i'm sure they will be along to put me right. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #183097 8th Nov 2012 7:58am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Steve,

this may be totally misleading however I had the following issues;
pretty much from new got what seemed like intermittent rough running of engine
more recently (last 6 months) I occassionally had what seemed like the engine loosing revs during gear change like you've mentioned. and on one occassion when pulling caravan up steep hill seemed like engine pinking / fuel starvation but on a mamouth scale (sounded like a very big bag of spanners.

anyhow the car is now in for a new clutch and transfer box. so where it seemed like the engine was loosing revs it was likely the transmission loosing moment (for whatever reason).

similar symptoms quite possibly completely different cause?
Post #183131 8th Nov 2012 10:49am
Staftly

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks willy eckerslike and caterham, certainly some food for thought. I think I will try an adjustment to my driving style in the first instance to see if that makes a difference. Caterham, I can see the connection here, scary thought since my vehicle has only covered 4k since new, that said, I have read numerous reviews that mention transfer box issues during early life. I noticed another pronounced episode tonight whilst changing down from 3rd to 2nd to take a tight 90 degree left, I tried to blip the throttle to match the revs during gear pickup and nothing happened. It was like the throttle has temporarily ceased to work, resulting in a rather clunky gear change.

Like I say, I will try to omit the 'blip' action (something I've always done, it may prove difficult) to see if that is confusing the ecu in the first instance. Also, I have had a similar experience to Caterham whist towing a fairly small trailer, no more than 3/4 tonne at the time, It was shortly after I picked up the defender, at the time I put it down to the PDF self cleaning, maybe it wasn't after all, since it really did sound like a bag of spanners. I'll take more notice next time and ask the dealer if this is normal behaviour.

Thanks fellas for giving me a few things to look out for.

Many thanks, Steve
Post #183357 9th Nov 2012 1:49am
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
DON'T ask the dealer if this is normal behaviour, as his reply will be " Of course Sir, it is a Defender ".
What I have done with such a problem, and this wasn't a Defender, was to invite someone from the Dealership to take me for a drive in my vehicle, having been given minimal information of the problem. If they cannot drive it without the problem then you'll be over the first hurdle. Just sit quietly and let them, hopefully, make a fool of themselves. Whistle LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #183373 9th Nov 2012 8:49am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Steve,

this is my second puma and while I owned the first one (that had various issues too) I put it down to being a defender and should have expected it to be like a tractor (an old one at that).

however having experienced puma's working as they should (or so I beleive) they are in my opinion similar to any other modern car I don't believe you should be experiencing any issues ie blipping the throttle really shouldn't be a problem. there certainly shouldn't be any spanner sounder either.

I sincerely hope you get it sorted.

.....and wait for the following posts contridicting my above comment 'like any other modern car' !
Post #183374 9th Nov 2012 8:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1