↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
So, other than the need to add tracker and alarm, is your Defender standard?

I'm currently with NFU, mainly because they have always give me a green card for 'out of Europe use' but premiums have gone up each year. I normally talk them down a few quid but it sounds like I may not be able to anymore so would need to look around (again).

My defender is a bit modified Whistle, but nothing over the top, so can't usually get cover from some of these companies.

Tony
Post #182558 6th Nov 2012 1:58pm
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
it has got a few bits & bobs on it - nothing daft. No roof rack, chipping, uplifts, roof lights, snorkel etc. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #182627 6th Nov 2012 5:25pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I've got my bike insured with Hastings Direct and just done a quote for the Defender (not due until January) but it was half the price of this years with Direct Line at £230.
Just wondering if anybody has experience with them when making a claim etc?
Post #186341 19th Nov 2012 4:59pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Who underwrites them ?
Post #186343 19th Nov 2012 5:16pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
ken wrote:
Who underwrites them ?

Don't know, can't seem to find any info online, are they always underwritten by somebody else or can they be self-contained?
Post #186348 19th Nov 2012 5:28pm
daviec1

"Direct Line Insurance is underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd, The Wharf, Neville St, Leeds, LS1 4AZ"

"UK Insurance Ltd. is authorised & regulated by the Financial Services Authority"

Taken from footer of Direct Line letter. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #186358 19th Nov 2012 6:18pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Cheapest ive found is with sureterm direct at £430 for me and the Mrs on my 2002 110 DC with roof rack, spots, wide tyres, 2" suspension lift, front bumper, rock sliders all declared
9000miles a year parked on the drive overnight.

fully comp. has everything apart from drive any car bit which I miss and appears to be getting rarer.

we are both 30, shes clean and I have 6 points and 1 fault claim for £430 all in.

Not bad at all compared to the others ive seen.

Just my 90 winch comp truck to go now to find insurance for , *sighs* I love insurance renewals. 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #186379 19th Nov 2012 6:49pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Adrian Flux I found reasonable & cheaper than LV. Basic/cheap car insurers may not cover non-standard mods, & off road driving. AF does. Thumbs Up Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #186508 19th Nov 2012 11:48pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Just got my NFU renewal and it went down (after going up last year). Paying £950 for my Disco 4 and TD5 90. Very happy...

Cheers

Simon
Post #186511 19th Nov 2012 11:54pm
daviec1

WHAT A SAGA!!

So, firstly, Direct Line manage to mess up the no claims bonus set ups on the new policies, running to even asking me to contact previous insurer saying it was OK for them to speak to Direct Line (I did, they did & then told me they didn;t need to speak to previous insurer after all!) THEN we start the "discussion" about the Tracker & Alarm / Immobiliser.

Having had the Tracker fitted, I send the the copy installation certificate - get it back a couple of days later with another letter, separate cover same post, saying - thanks for that but your policy does not need a tracker.

Lifted from their requirements to me AFTER i bought the policy "Your device must be fitted with Thatcham approved immobilisation and tracking security devices"

Hmmm....

So, onwards, with proving the alarm - long conversation with them, left with agreement that if a local garage familiar with my vehicle (like maybe the one which has done the last 2 MOTs?) sent a "to whom it may concern" letter, detailing vehicle model, make, year, reg no, etc stating factory fitted alarm immobiliser fitted that would suffice.

Do that, it comes back, with another separate cover same post letter saying - no, we need the actual model & serial number of the unit!

So, managing (just) to stop exploding with them on the phone, we are now at the stage that apparently under writers are saying the factory fitted alarm is not acceptable (this after in the same call I am told they don't know the exact model fitted to my vehicle - hmmm).

SO I pull out the not inexpensive Tracker requirement feck up - all of a sudden, "ooppss - eh let me investigate that for you" and "what would you like the result of this to be".

So they now have two options:
1) Cover me in full as they agreed to at the time I paid the money.
2) Refund me in full for my entire policy (and not increase the 2 other policy amounts for the associated policies on their version of multi car insurance) PLUS refund my Tracker fitting & monitoring costs IN FULL.

On the upside (!!) I now have about an inch thick file exclusively of Direct Line headed paper from their various "missives" to me over the past 5 weeks..... 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #193148 13th Dec 2012 3:08pm
daviec1

Well,

It would seem that common sense has prevailed and Direct Line have managed to find a 3rd option to conclude this whole sorry state of affairs.

Honour the policy I bought.

Pretty simple really, but as there is a tracker installed, they no longer require the full actual details of the existing alarm / immob and / or a newer higher rated Thatcham approved one installed, as, to quote, "the Tracker is better than an alarm or immobiliser even a Thatcham approved one" (!!!)

And once I get that all in writing I'll be happy.

Almost certain not to go to them again though....maybe.... just seems like all the hassle has meant that the saving, although chunky, may not have been worth it. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #193202 13th Dec 2012 6:18pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
So what you're saying is cheapest isn't always best? Smile
Post #193219 13th Dec 2012 6:39pm
daviec1

In this instance - one of the cheapest was a complete baw ache!

But, as insurance companies can really only be judged when the worst happens, let's just hope I never need to make that call to them. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #193229 13th Dec 2012 7:22pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Sorry to hear this daviec1 but glad they've seen the light.

I got the Direct Line quote and put it to my insurer as asked them to get close to it. They knocked a chunk off what they'd quoted me and got within £25 of the Direct Line quote so I left it where it was and went without the hassle of getting no claims proof.

Just letting you people know, if you phone your insurer with a list of Compare The Market quotes and asked them nicely to get a bit closer they might and that might save you a load of hassle.
Post #193285 13th Dec 2012 10:05pm
daviec1

I did take the Direct Line quote to Admiral - they did their "manager's special" and knocked £40 off the combined policy - only left them around £300 over....

Will see how the year with Direct Line progresses... 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #193440 14th Dec 2012 1:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>