↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > yeeehaaaa !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Very Happy

there are others getting similar mpg to myself (albeit not many from what I can tell).

the only other factoer I can think of but I'm sure this is giving a detremental effect and not a positive one is the poor running I'm experiencing which seems like fuel starvation / lean running which I'm hoping to get fixed (just hope the fuel eco doesnt go down)
Post #159712 3rd Aug 2012 5:19pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Caterham wrote:
I can only put it down to smooth and slow driving.
always tray to use the engine to slow down and then just cruise round traffic islands etc.

perhaps its just me ..... I used to have the pi$$ taken out of me big time at my last place of work for being s tight and using the minium amount of fuel.

for anyone that does alot of motorway work - try knocking 5 mph off your usual speed and I think you might be suprised.....get up a little earlier in the morning and try it.

I could n't possibly recommend slip streaming trucks but it certainly works ......just watching the cycling now and it works wonders for them too.

Slow and steady wins the race! I rarely labour the engine, always try and keep the turbo spinning, between 60-70 on the motorway, like you I use the engine to slow down when I can.

Wouldn't say it's a boring way to drive, as I still manage to keep up with the traffic, occasionally I'll still hoof it about the place, but still get 30+mpg from every tank.
Post #159716 3rd Aug 2012 5:54pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
30mpg plus is easy.

My 20-year old 200Tdi managed nearly 33mpg on a trip up to Scotland and back last weekend, so I'd hope these new engines would be able to manage at least that! Though I guess they do have all the emissions rubbish strangling them a bit, and the greater power means one might be more tempted to 'unleash the beast'.
Post #159807 3rd Aug 2012 10:56pm
Caterham

ended up getting 410 miles out of the tank which is near enough 27 mpg (with the caravan on the back for most of it) - can't complain at that.

no actually I can - on the tank before ran to bristol and back with the engine running sweet. most of the last tank it ran ok except there was one up hill where I had to drop down to first gear c2000 rpm and the engine sounded like a bag of spanners !!!

what it causing it Big Cry
Post #162319 16th Aug 2012 11:55am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Talking of Loose fuse again.
I have had an issue with the engine cutting out and rough running. The culprit fuse is located under the drivers seat, there is a 20A in line fuse all on its own. The cheap nasty fuse holder simply was not holding the fuse, the connections were very loose. The holder is made from a hard plastic making it difficult to re crimp the connection. So a call to LRA a Land rover, tech came out. I showed him the issue and he cut out the old nasty fuse holder soldered in a new one and all is solved. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #162347 16th Aug 2012 12:54pm
Caterham

I'm like a dog with a great big new bone......so excited and just don't know what to do with myself until i get chance to look under my seat ....... Very Happy

and then the big anti-climax when I realise thats not it either

thanks for the suggestion / thought - I'll have a look and just may be....... Thumbs Up
Post #162374 16th Aug 2012 3:41pm
Caterham

Embarassed

got my car back after a month and with regards to it running smoothly well a little early to be absolutely sure but it does seem to be how I'd expect ie right !!

they're telling me they've only done a upload on the ecu ?

the other thing I think they've done and now I'm wondering if it could have been the problem all along (or part of the problem) is the hand brake appears to be a little looser........worst case what sort of issues could you expect from the hand brake being a little too tight ie needing adjusting?

anyway after a month they've sorted out my new mud flaps, new bumper, new seat frames, new door, new tow electrics, looked at the central locking, new head light retaining rings, repainted front grille, sorted rust round windscreen, new door seal........and all in all they've done a jolly good job of it all Thumbs Up
Post #177008 19th Oct 2012 7:40am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
The way mine runs so well sometimes but then for no reason will be the complete opposite. Crying or Very sad

One thing I can say over the last two years I have kept a detailed record of fuel usage. Driving a 60mph on the motorway makes a huge difference, driving at over 65 also makes a huge difference but in the other direction. In very cold condition it seems to use more fuel than I would have expected and in very hot conditions the same again (might try a bigger intercooler to see if that makes any difference in hot conditions) but this maybe down to the fan. On the snap shot below you can see that it achieved 32mpg (a record for me but I think getting rid of the cat and the new exhaust has helped). If I run the tune in it I find unlike others on here it is down by about 2mpg than with the standard tune. For nearly 6 months of the year it does run with a roof rack which also makes a difference but at speeds under 60 not as much as you would expect. The thing that does surprise me is that one day I can do a trip and get say 28 but the next day with the same conditions (temp & no wind) driving the same route at the same speed it will only get 23. I cannot explain this but it does seem to happen for no reason.

Click image to enlarge
Post #177023 19th Oct 2012 8:45am
Caterham

I don't think I've ever moaned so much in respect of car ownership ? is it cos I'm getting older or is it down to the car?

anyway as mentioned on another thread....the car isn't fixed - the clutch has failed (although I'm expecting to find out its the transfer box).

anyone else had the clutch fail - what symptons did you have?

more issues.....had a new door fitted under warranty so now of the two front doors one has the new style rubber seal at the bottom the other has the original rubber stip....so should I ask them to sort the old one to match the new?
Post #180766 31st Oct 2012 9:03pm
Caterham

got the car booked in for service while they're at it......

anyway update on the clutch .... the clutch has failed (not wear and tear) but he said this is just the first fix. I got the impression they anticipate finding other problems which will be resolved following the first fix.

bleeding heck !

looks like its gonna end up being off the road for 6weeks out of 8 Big Cry

oh well saves a few miles of wear and tear.
Post #180904 1st Nov 2012 12:02pm
Caterham

no phone call Friday so I called in ......

will hopefully be finished Monday now. replacing clutch and seal for cylinder......?

maybe, maybe not. but gut feeling is not.....there'll be other thing that need fixing.....oh well lets see what tomorrow brings.

starting to get fed up with all these problems ! Big Cry
Post #181906 4th Nov 2012 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123