↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre Pressure monitoring system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Tyre Pressure monitoring system
Been up the caravan and motor home show this weekend, to get an awning, carpet cleaner, plates etc but also picked up a tpms to suit the caravan and 110 together.

It's here http://www.tyrepal.co.uk/products/tyre-safety-monitoring-system

Looks like a good bit of kit, tried out a couple of the monitors and was surprised that a 62si caravan tyre heats up to 68psi when on the motorway Shocked that must be why they say 'take pressures when cold'

Got a six monitor system for around £200 which seems pretty reasonable for peace of mind when towing (also its another gadget for the 110) monitors just screw onto the wheels you want to monitor so can be swapped from one vehicle to another, can monitor up to 22 tyres I think at £29 per extra monitor.

Nothing shows on the screen until you get a puncture, slow puncture or drastic temperature change, but if you want you can check them by scrolling through the pressure and temp for each tyre that's monitored, so an in the background type monitor for safety.

So all in all a good bit of kit for a reasonable amount compared to some others I've seen. Well worth a look if caravan/ trailer or even landrover tyres blowing out is a concern.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #178430 23rd Oct 2012 8:50pm
Lewis07

England 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Oslo Blue
Re: Tyre Pressure monitoring system
d j hutton wrote:
Been up the caravan and motor home show this weekend, to get an awning, carpet cleaner, plates etc but also picked up a tpms to suit the caravan and 110 together.

It's here http://www.tyrepal.co.uk/products/tyre-safety-monitoring-system

Looks like a good bit of kit, tried out a couple of the monitors and was surprised that a 62si caravan tyre heats up to 68psi when on the motorway Shocked that must be why they say 'take pressures when cold'

Got a six monitor system for around £200 which seems pretty reasonable for peace of mind when towing (also its another gadget for the 110) monitors just screw onto the wheels you want to monitor so can be swapped from one vehicle to another, can monitor up to 22 tyres I think at £29 per extra monitor.

Nothing shows on the screen until you get a puncture, slow puncture or drastic temperature change, but if you want you can check them by scrolling through the pressure and temp for each tyre that's monitored, so an in the background type monitor for safety.

So all in all a good bit of kit for a reasonable amount compared to some others I've seen. Well worth a look if caravan/ trailer or even landrover tyres blowing out is a concern.

DJ

I would question the accuracy of these things to be honest. Most I have experienced have caused nothing but trouble.
Post #178948 25th Oct 2012 6:40pm
d j hutton

Quote:
I would question the accuracy of these things to be honest. Most I have experienced have caused nothing but trouble.

I wondered that but reviews of this particular model are positive, and I have checked pressures that are displayed against actual with a digital gauge on several occasions and they seem to be consistent and accurate to date. (I'll keep an eye on that in view of your bad experiences Thumbs Up thanks for the heads up)

Which ones have you had accuracy problems with? then others can consider your experiences with those models when thinking about adding a safety feature. A lot of cars these days appear to have various types of tpms installed as standard, are some of them known to be inaccurate as well?

You haven't had a lot of luck really with the bonnet stain,leak,door locking and troublesome tpms, hope the dealer sorts it all out for you. I had the same locking issue once, I believe thats to do with a short on the door electrics, posts on here indicate that's the likely problem and its possible that some sleeving was missed off. Get the dealer to have a look see when he's doing all the other bits. I'm getting mine checked at first service next week.

Mrs H is happy with the accuracy of her new carpet cleaner Mr. Green

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #178954 25th Oct 2012 6:51pm
Lewis07

England 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Oslo Blue
d j hutton wrote:
Quote:

I wondered that but reviews of this particular model are positive, and I have checked pressures that are displayed against actual with a digital gauge on several occasions and they seem to be consistent and accurate to date. (I'll keep an eye on that in view of your bad experiences Thumbs Up thanks for the heads up)

Which ones have you had accuracy problems with? then others can consider your experiences with those models when thinking about adding a safety feature. A lot of cars these days appear to have various types of tpms installed as standard, are some of them known to be inaccurate as well?

You haven't had a lot of luck really with the bonnet stain,leak,door locking and troublesome tpms, hope the dealer sorts it all out for you. I had the same locking issue once, I believe thats to do with a short on the door electrics, posts on here indicate that's the likely problem and its possible that some sleeving was missed off. Get the dealer to have a look see when he's doing all the other bits. I'm getting mine checked at first service next week.

Mrs H is happy with the accuracy of her new carpet cleaner Mr. Green

DJ

Don't know the make of monitors as they were standard fit on cars such as BMW, Merc and Audi but not only were they not terribly accurate but they also often gave faults. A piece of kit as you have bought may be far superior to the add-ons that these manufacturers offer. Still don't think you can beat a bit of tyre kicking though. Mr. Green
Post #178962 25th Oct 2012 7:06pm
d j hutton

The guy I bought it off mentioned some of those makes, I think he said they were in the valve stem (Does that sound likely?) and technology has moved on - we will see how it pans out.

One bonus is that the monitors are screwed on the top of the valve, so if one goes wrong it can easily be replaced (they have locking collars if you can be bothered to fit them, if the local lads like to unscrew stuff like they do)

I'm more concerned with a slow or even rapid deflation than the actual pressure, as the alarm will (hopefully) allow me to pull over under some sort of control, rather than wait for a full on blow out, an excessive change in temperature will also trigger an alarm, as a precursor to possible blow out.

I have always used the kick it method, but that's not so easy on a motorway Mr. Green

:
DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #178967 25th Oct 2012 7:26pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
I think ken has got experience of tpms systems or uses them im sure he will be along to comment or you could ask him ?
Post #178973 25th Oct 2012 7:34pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Having seen the carnage caused by a blowout whilst towing on more than one occasion I think £200 is a prudent investment. Having an occasional 'spurrious' warning due to possible stated unreliability is surely better than no warning at all? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #178994 25th Oct 2012 8:30pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I thought there was a special offer to forum members for TPMS ... I think there is a sponsor who specializes in them
Post #178999 25th Oct 2012 8:42pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
Yes here..http://www.landrovertrailair.co.uk/ 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #179003 25th Oct 2012 8:58pm
d j hutton

There is but I seem to remember it was quite a bit more money, fits into the wheel and probably a bit more sophisticated I'd guess.

Hopefully the sponsor will be along to confirm.

That's what I thought K9F , worth it for a bit of peace of mind. I too have seen a couple of shredded tin tents, most likely down to tyres. My old man had a blow out when we were kids and I remember that being a bit scary - no crash though fortunately.

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #179005 25th Oct 2012 9:02pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Talk to the guys at Comatra sponsors of this site good well built kit good mounting options as well

I use two one perm mounted in the puma ( in the process of swap to the new one) and a six wheel one for the tri ax trailer gives psi/bar and temp

BMW /Mini at the low end use the abs sensors or the like and measures revolutions on each wheel not a valve sensor in sight, so when the weather changes you often get a failure warning because the tyre has expanded or contracted Thumbs Up
Post #179024 25th Oct 2012 10:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1