↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Losing the faith???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
stevendarvill

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I still think they are great fun but I couldnt put up with it anymore so over to hilux it was for me
Post #169094 18th Sep 2012 6:53pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Time for a 'loving' injection I think........ Thumbs Up First post, first dozen or so words sums up this 'stereotypical' forum thread.....full of negativity..... Maybe Martin could start a Ranger forum, seems to be catching on.... Laughing

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic463.html?highlight=negative If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #169162 18th Sep 2012 10:20pm
biffabacon67

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Not really my "First Post", but what the hell. Been driving defenders/land rovers since about 1986, but this is the the first time i've parted with cold hard cash for a "NEW' one. Is it really wrong to expect some sort of build quality on some thing i've spent over £30,000 on? if it was an evoque would i be having this "can't really be arsed" attitude from a dealer, i think not..
As i said also own a 1980 series 3 lightweight which is less bother than the defender. I love the new defender to bits, but the build quality is pure crap. How many other vehicles on the road get away with such shonky build? As i said, in the first two years Knackered Air Con, Dodgy wiring, Corrosion, Knackered Gear Box, Knackered Clutch, Drivers Door handle fell off and getting locked in it in the winter due to a fault with the central locking!!! Will i be keeping it beyond the manufacturers warranty probably not. i'd have been better off buying an ex military wolf and having £20,000+ in the bank. But isn't hind sight a wonderfull thing.
Call me Mr Negative, but i think i have good reason!!!
Post #170052 22nd Sep 2012 10:19pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
biffabacon67 - Don't think you'll find much support on here, but I am with you - in fact that's what eventually lead me not to buy a XS Utility. I don't see the point of a forum if you can't have open balanced discussion based on shared experience.

Its not just that they are overpriced for what you get, its that the build control is so poor, and the price is so high.

Sure there hand assembled, but that's the manufacturers decision, once they send the whole production to India I am sure LR can get the price down to match the quality (or the quality up to match the price).

(edit to correct the queens erngrlish) Disco 3 gone but the memory of the bills remain...
XS 110 Utility maybe one day..... (did they fix the quality yet?)

Last edited by TallPaul on 26th Sep 2012 11:14am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #170960 26th Sep 2012 10:42am
K9F

'First Post' on this thread was my 'meaning' sorry! As for the support and sympathy bit you'll get loads of that too! What's more you'll get good advice thrown in for free. Whether you decide to act on it and give feedback is another matter. I agree wholeheartedly with you, the build quality is cr4p, nevertheless the issues you have encountered as with the many other 'warts 'n' all' problems are well-documented as are the things you need to do to keep on top of most them. That's 'part and parcel' I'm afraid of Puma ownership, but you do indeed appear to have had more than your fair share.
Forums as explained are invariably full of doom and gloom with individuals 'spleen venting' with nothing really positive to contribute. It can and does become disheartening. Your post was in my opinion written in that style just a rant really?

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing....Zagato a fomer forum member ran up well over 1000 posts prior to committing to purchasing with questions about the Puma. He then went on to become a very helpful member with his contributions about corrosion issues and what to do to prevent them. I wonder what his view is on hindsight? He's not a Defender owner anymore either but for different reasons.

It appears that the 'standard of service' from your dealer is obviously lacking. I had a recent issue and cannot go into detail but I called Land Rover Customer Care after my dealers wouldn't budge on an issue. A 'compromise' was brokered as they could see I had been a Land Rover customer for some considerable amount of time. That 'compromise' far exceeded any expectations I had and it made up for all the shortfalls of my dealer.
My advice (as previously mentioned by myself and Grockle) would be to call them as you are obviously so unhappy. Good luck! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #170970 26th Sep 2012 11:12am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
well i have done the same thing...spent my own money.

it can be very hard to justify one as a passenger car. there are many vehicles that do the estate car for carrying people and stuff around the road and even over fields, think volvo 4x4, subaru,skoda etc.

If you want one cause thy look cool again this can wear thin.

IMHO a defender for the weekends, high days and holidays and a sh*t box for the daily grind. that what i have in the way of the wifes car and my van.

Sell it,have a year out and see what happens.
Post #170988 26th Sep 2012 12:44pm
biffabacon67

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the replies. Yes, i was having a rant, purely out of frustration at the lack of interest from my local dealer. I'm off down to Manchester next week so i'm going to call into Williams, where i bought it from, to see if i get a different response. Failing that, i will go the land rover assistance route. I will keep you posted on the outcome.
I couldn't think of a better, more practical vehicle if i tried, it's such a shame that it is let down by crap build quality, and cant be bothered (Its only a defender) dealers. I thought Land rover was supposed to be a "Premium Brand". Shouldn't that include all models?
Once the warranty is up on this one, i really fancied trading it in for one of the final edition ones, probably like 95% of the people on here, but will have to wait and see. If not, it will purely be down to service, or should that be lack of,and nothing else.
it really is a great vehicle and i love it to bits, and it wouldn't take that much to make it fantastic!!!!
PS. What are those lumps of alloy called below the windscreen, that now take the pace of the windscreen hinges?
I'm sure i've seen some aftermarket ones in Stainless, or was i dreaming?
Cheers
Steve
Post #171012 26th Sep 2012 3:35pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Post #171014 26th Sep 2012 3:43pm
biffabacon67

That"s the ones. £80.00 a bit steep, thought they do look quite good and would keep the dreaded corrosion at bay!
Pimp my ride!!!! Razz
Post #171016 26th Sep 2012 4:00pm
K9F

Off Topic But following on from above....

Croytec do some anodised ones but are even more expensive.

http://www.croytec.co.uk/products.htm

Be careful when ordering stuff as with certain manufacturers items have a smaller footprint than OEM ones (door hinges for example). As the Puma is sprayed with hinges etc. fitted, on removal you'll find just undercoat/primer which is no good if the footprint of the item you're fitting is smaller.

I have OX4X4 bonnet hinges and they are top quality, but went elsewhere for door hinges for the very reason above.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic14117....=footprint

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8589.html?highlight=footprint

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #171020 26th Sep 2012 4:33pm
boxer

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Coniston Green
biffabacon67

can i make a suggestion but before i do i have no business connection to ripon land rover,If you are going as far as manchester please try ripon land rover they are real defender dealers i am sure they will do everything possible to assist you.Hope this helps.
Post #171110 26th Sep 2012 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12