↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > ITG Filters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
ITG Filters
I had some problems with overheating, first of all when I drove to the South of France and then back again. I put this down to the hot weather and thought nothing much more of it. But then it happened a few times at home. Always on a long journey, Kent to Scotland etc, the engine would lose power, normally going up a hill in the fast lane, the temperature gauge would rise slowly to almost max, then sink back down again, shortly followed by power being restored to the engine. I checked all fluid levels, put a new cap in the expansion vessel and tried again, this time driving as hard as possible without breaking all the laws for a couple of hours and it did it again.
Looking at reports on here, several people had suggested that an ITG filter leaving a residue of oil on the MAF sensor could be the problem.
I have replaced my beloved ITG for a standard Landrover item and MAF sensor for new.
Since then, touch wood, I have had no more overheating issues and what was a somewhat black and belchy exhaust has significantly reduced and changed colour in part to a more Eco friendly looking grey.... I may EC be getting a slight improvement in mpg but I don't want to over egg it!
Any comments? 2009 XS 110 Utility Stornaway Grey
BAS re Remap, BAS Turbo, BAS Spec Modified Airbox, Twisted Side exit Decat Exhaust, Allisport Cooler and Hoses, OME Sport Shocks, Kangaroo Paw Discs.
2001 Discovery II
Porsche Speedster Replica 1956ish
Post #167612 11th Sep 2012 3:13pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The MAF issues (I've heard about) is the main reason I have kept to OE LR filters but I have been tempted Confused Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #167626 11th Sep 2012 3:44pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
custom90steve wrote:
The MAF issues (I've heard about) is the main reason I have kept to OE LR filters but I have been tempted Confused

Me too
Post #167628 11th Sep 2012 3:48pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I have been running an ITG filtr for 3 years (36,000 miles) in freezing (-40) to Hot (+40) and haven't had any running issues...... Maybe was just a dud MAF sensor.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #167629 11th Sep 2012 3:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Or over oiled? The could easily be an issue with a lot of them I'd have thought. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #167631 11th Sep 2012 3:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Something to think about: http://www.paddockspares.com/k-and-n-filte...dium=email
New according to Paddock's newsletter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #167637 11th Sep 2012 4:22pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thanks all for your thoughts, my filter has been installed for almost three years but 83000 miles. I also have maps and turbos from Mr Bell, cooler from Allisport and other bits and pieces too, so parameters may need to run a bit tighter than those for a stock setup?
I have never oiled my filter but have changed it once in the life o the car as the old one was caked. The MAF was also changed about 18 months ago courtesy of Mr Bell again.
Long and short theres no two ways about it, it's gong s darn site better now!! 2009 XS 110 Utility Stornaway Grey
BAS re Remap, BAS Turbo, BAS Spec Modified Airbox, Twisted Side exit Decat Exhaust, Allisport Cooler and Hoses, OME Sport Shocks, Kangaroo Paw Discs.
2001 Discovery II
Porsche Speedster Replica 1956ish
Post #167715 11th Sep 2012 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1