↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Intercoolers for Puma 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
BruceT

South Africa 
Thanks Pete that is very reassuring.

I received a email from them explaining that they are short staffed and have been battling to find welders of their standard which was a relief.
The lack of communication has not been very reassuring, that's all and after converting Pounds into Rands (South African currency) it is a very expensive piece of kit (about 3x minimum wage in SA) hence me being a bit worried.
Post #159334 2nd Aug 2012 6:38am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
i waited over 3 weeks for the batch which mine was in to be made but could not fault andys services once it was ready
remeber having something made to order is alittle different to buying of the shelf
i soon may have my serch one from alive up for sale ?

steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #159411 2nd Aug 2012 12:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew DefenderBits

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alpine White
We can supply the Terrafirma units as we are Terrafirma authorised distributors, these are in stock with Terrafirma (as of the date of this post) so we can get them next day and then on to a customer on a next day service via Fedex in the UK or 2-3 days if you live up a glen in the highlands
Do let me know if anyone is interested prices £349+vat and £5.95 for next day delivery
Post #159773 3rd Aug 2012 8:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BruceT

South Africa 
Thanks.

I must say since I complained they have made every effort to keep me updated so I am a lot happier now that I know what is happening.
Post #159775 3rd Aug 2012 8:30pm
BruceT

South Africa 
Just an update. I received my intercooler and wow it is very nicely made. I will be fitting it this weekend so looking forward to seeing if I can feel any difference.
Post #163621 22nd Aug 2012 6:59am
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Keep me in the loop, please.
Post #163642 22nd Aug 2012 10:03am
BruceT

South Africa 
Will do Rob. I will try and do a step by step fitment as well as let you know the results if I can feel any. I did monitor my engine temp and my intake temperatures vs outside temps this past week in Botswana so will be able to get a more or less feel if there is an improvement.
Post #163643 22nd Aug 2012 10:06am
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Thanks. Did you get the silicone hoses as well?
Post #163644 22nd Aug 2012 10:12am
BruceT

South Africa 
no just the inter coolers.
Post #163648 22nd Aug 2012 10:32am
BruceT

South Africa 
OK so I fitted the inter-cooler this weekend. Was quite a fiddle but eventually I did it in about 2 hours and I only have one scar on one knuckle, and I didnt do much swearing, so didnt do too badly. Very Happy

It fitted perfectly and is very well made. I would say the hardest part was to cut the tabs off of the radiator in order for the inter cooler to fit. I haven't had a chance to properly test it yet but am not expecting too much and doubt I will feel anything different. I will measure the intake temps when the temperatures in SA get a bit higher though.
I was also surprised at how dirty my radiator was so took the opportunity to clean it also.

If I knew how to post pictures on this forum I would. Very Happy If anyone would like pics PM me your email address.
Post #164668 27th Aug 2012 8:23am
BruceT

South Africa 
Here is a report back on my Puma's first road trip. To Sum up, I have no regrets and am very happy with the intercooler's performance.

This week I had to go to Maputo so it was a perfect time to test it out. (roughly 580kms from JHB)

The below is probably not 100% accurate but its close enough to give results.
I experienced ambient temps ranging from 7 deg C to 37 deg C.

I can not tell or measure if there is more power but everything is running cooler and I definately think there is better cruising power:

- water temps never went above 92 deg and this was when sitting in traffic in Maputo.
- at 115 kph the water temp never went above 85 degC normally I would be at around 90.
- now here is what you waiting for... Intake temps never went above 32 degC and this was also in traffic in Maputo. The intake temps seem to stay within 1 to 2 degC of ambient. When at speed its below ambient and at slow speeds its above. While driving around in traffic it went up but when I travelled at speed it would drop between 4 and 8 degC fairly quickly.
- call me insane but fuel consumption is also better averaging at 9.8 ltrs per 100kms for the trip. I did drive harder than what I normally would have. Normal is mid to high 10's per 100km.

While doing the pass just before Nelspruit I a TD5 caught up to me. He was also alone but had 4 jerry cans on his roof rack. I had nothing. He could not stick with me on the hills, so much so that I left him behind and never saw him again. I can't compare this to pre intercooler but there is a huge difference in performance between TD5 and Puma. On hills where I dropped down to around 90 kph I would guess he dropped down to 60kph.

Over all the intercooler made everything run cooler. Perhaps it would be a good idea for me and another standard Puma to drive somewhere together to compare temperatures at the same time. (Regard?)

Oh and on the detour through Kruger I saw a pride of Lions on the hunt and sat within 3 meters of 7 cubs who were waiting for their lunch for at least half an hour - nothing to do with the intercooler though.
Post #166083 3rd Sep 2012 7:42am
dgardel

Italy 
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Nice and usefull report Bruce thank you!!!! Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #166084 3rd Sep 2012 7:51am
BruceT

South Africa 
My pleasure. Smile
Post #166086 3rd Sep 2012 8:19am
wslr

United Kingdom 
You forgot to mention the altitude. Whistle
Post #166088 3rd Sep 2012 8:52am
BruceT

South Africa 
Johannesburg is at around 1500 meters above sea level and Maputo is at Sea level. The highest temperatures were in Maputo.

I also noticed the EGR valve worked alot more than in Johannesburg where it never works except when its doing a self cleaning cycle.
Post #166094 3rd Sep 2012 9:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123