Home > Td5 > Td5 Diesel in coolant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ratty

England 
Td5 Diesel in coolant
Hi guys

I'm new here. I cant see an introduction forum so Thought I'd better say hello and then post my question.

I'm Ratty and I have a 1999 Td5 110 commercial station wagon and it does get used in anger. Smile

I've heard of diesel getting the oil when the head cracks. I've heard of diesel getting into the coolant when the fuel cooler goes down.

Does anybody know if it is possible for diesel to get in the coolant any other way except for via the fuel cooler?

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #8591 19th Mar 2009 10:25am
TDfive

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
Re: Td5 Diesel in coolant
Ratty wrote:
Hi guys

I'm new here. I cant see an introduction forum so Thought I'd better say hello and then post my question.

I'm Ratty and I have a 1999 Td5 110 commercial station wagon and it does get used in anger. Smile

I've heard of diesel getting the oil when the head cracks. I've heard of diesel getting into the coolant when the fuel cooler goes down.

Does anybody know if it is possible for diesel to get in the coolant any other way except for via the fuel cooler?

Cheers Thumbs Up

welcome mate Thumbs Up
cant help with the problem but know a guy thats good with um will ask him when i next speak to he Rolling with laughter -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
1987 90 tc TD/200TDI DISCO CONVERTION
Post #8627 19th Mar 2009 8:04pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 
Hi, I have not heard of any other way diesel can get in the coolant other than the fuel cooler (& this is rare).
Cracked heads leaking diesel into the sump is slightly more common (still infrequent), or O rings on the injectors leaking fuel back up into the head (thus draining into the sump) more common.

Regards
Steve
Post #8699 21st Mar 2009 8:34am
Ratty

England 
SteveNorman wrote:
Hi, I have not heard of any other way diesel can get in the coolant other than the fuel cooler (& this is rare).
Cracked heads leaking diesel into the sump is slightly more common (still infrequent), or O rings on the injectors leaking fuel back up into the head (thus draining into the sump) more common.

Regards
Steve

Thanks Steve. Thumbs Up

I haven't heard of it myself but I just want to make sure that it's the residue left over from the blown fuel cooler that I can smell. Embarassed
Post #8733 21st Mar 2009 4:07pm
Ratty

England 
just to update the thread in case it helps anyone else in the future, the reason for the diesel in the coolant is a crack in the fuel rail in the head. I'm currently on the lookout for a replacement cylinder head. Big Cry
Post #13641 31st Jul 2009 10:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1