↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > New Defender not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Vger

Slovenia 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
New Defender not starting
Hi guys, this is my first post, so I'll try to introduce myself first.

Three months ago I purchased a gorgeous almost brand new 2008 Defender 90SE with 3.500km on the odo. After quite a few years and other cars, this is my second Land Rover; first being the 1979 Land Rover 109 Series III, which was actually my first car. 109 was in a pretty bad shape when I got it but I fixed it and we had some great times together. It was my first love and I knew the Defender was the right car for me, ever since. I was searching for the car for months, deciding between 110 and 90 models, older and newer and finally decided on the new 2008 Defender 90SE.

After I got it I immediately noticed a few common problems: loud whine when stepping off the gas in higher gears, clunking noise and vibrations when slowing down/stopping, loud clutch and few other "minor" problems... These problems are being fixed as we speak, although the local authorized dealer is giving me a pretty hard time and it is taking ages.

Unfortunately my Defender has one more (not-so-minor) problem which is puzzling the guys at the workshop. Occasionally it won't start; when this happens the oil pressure, engine and preheating indicators do not lit, temperature gauge shows maximum temperature and starter does not turn. OBD shows no power to ECU. The only way to restart the engine is to disconnect the battery or remove 30A Main Relay fuse. If you leave the car in this state for couple of days, it also completely drains the battery. This can happen 3 times a day or once a week.

Thank you guys in advance for all your suggestions,

Klemen

Last edited by Vger on 17th Jun 2009 1:24am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #11861 11th Jun 2009 11:30pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi Vger and welcome to the forum and regards from the other side of the world.

Some time ago I posted here a LR bulletin about a failure in the starter.
please check the following link-

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic852.html

I hope that can guide your dealer.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #11862 12th Jun 2009 1:44am
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Welcome, Upon reading your starting sypmtoms, I had a similiar thing with my td5
Turned over ok but would not start, temperature gauge had gone to red so naturally ECU would not allow start!! then would start and run rough and the oil warning light would come on and it would idle rough and then "fix" itself and then repeat this behavour
Checked ECU gave a "topside switch failure" ie stuffed etc, then I read that one guy had a few td5s like this and he cleaned the earth on the ECU computer and chassis end and added another earth strap from the ECU to a different part of the body and fixed it, It fixed mine also and was going 3 months after when i changed to the Puma 110
Yet a garage would have replaced the ECU and if they used the old earth maybe there would still have been a problem, not sure if related but who knows
Post #11863 12th Jun 2009 2:08am
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hi Vger
I have had a similar problem twice on mine now, the last time i had been driving it all morning then stopped at a petrol station and when i went to start it it was dead i did`nt notice what the lights and guages did but after a couple of mins it fired up Shocked
A trip to the dealer next week i think
Post #11874 12th Jun 2009 10:51am
dgardel

Italy 
The problem is P110 C0602 fuse and/or the relative cables

if you read SSM37318 explain this problem. See attached files http://files.me.com/daniele.gardellin/oogje5

The SSM bulletin tell us:

1. Water temp in red indication
2. No starter
3. no ECU communications

BUT IT ISN'T ECU PROBLEM!!!!!
Post #11877 12th Jun 2009 11:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vger

Thank you all for your warm welcome and your help!
I just returned from the workshop and they are diagnosing the problem again. I talked to the electritian and he just found the SSM 37318. He said the problem is similar but probably not the same, since the car starts fine when you reset the ECU. He checked the mentioned fuse and it was fine. When he pulled it he noticed the same simptoms (water temp in red zone, no starter, no ecu) - like when you pull the 30A fuse. He'll recheck all ground connections now...

The funny thing is, the engine runs beautifully, it never stalls or runs rough. Then you stop, turn off the ignition and try to start it again.. nothing!

Sonic3d: did the starter turn in your case? If the problem sorted by itself, it sounds more like problem with immobilizer strategy (SSM 34184).
Post #11882 12th Jun 2009 2:37pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Vger wrote:

Sonic3d: did the starter turn in your case? If the problem sorted by itself, it sounds more like problem with immobilizer strategy (SSM 34184).

No the starter was completely dead
Post #11895 12th Jun 2009 7:54pm
Vger

Sonic3d wrote:
Vger wrote:

No the starter was completely dead

Hmm... I guess it's something else then, since the starter should turn when the immobilizer is active.
I'm very interested what your dealer will say about it. Please keep me posted. Good luck.
Post #11911 13th Jun 2009 12:02pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Hi Vger,hope you get it sorted,what spec has an SE got we don't have that in the UK ? 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #11916 13th Jun 2009 1:26pm
Vger

Grockle wrote:
Hi Vger,hope you get it sorted,what spec has an SE got we don't have that in the UK ?

Thank you! SE is top specs model, like XS in UK, i think. Mine is also equiped with ABS/ETC, winter package, sunroof, boost alloys, towing hook, etc.

Oh, one more question guys. When I turn on signal lights, the trailer indicator blinks for a second. Is this normal?
Post #11917 13th Jun 2009 1:40pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Yes it's to let you know it's ok Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #11921 13th Jun 2009 2:08pm
Vger

Grockle wrote:
Yes it's to let you know it's ok Thumbs Up

Thank you! Wink
Post #11956 14th Jun 2009 1:23pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I have had an intermittent non starting problem. I presumed it was the thick earth lead from the battery to chassis. (Common fault on TD5) but that was OK. After a bit of thinking I realised that every time this happened was when the second set of keys were close to the vehicle (in passengers pocket). The fix was to get the second set of keys away from the vehicle lock, unlock and start. Thumbs Up This has happened on both my 110s. I must add not every time the second set of keys are close just now and again. I presume it is an alarm issue.
Post #11980 15th Jun 2009 8:00am
Vger

Thanks for the suggestion. I already tried taking the remote fob off to see if the problem could be caused by immobilser/alarm. Without the remote fob the starer turns and the engine starts and stalls in a few seconds... I dunno.. Did the starter turn in your case?
Post #12027 16th Jun 2009 2:27am
hadenough

United Kingdom 
Sorry to say we have a 110 county and it does it all the time we have to lock and unlock with the key fob and then it usual starts .
Hope this help
Post #12046 16th Jun 2009 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>