Home > Expedition & Overland > Modifications
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Perversely, I want an internal rollcage like this:
http://www.safetydevices.com/expedition/pr...esent/230/
but I hope to God I never need it Shocked Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #110669 29th Dec 2011 11:00pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
Perversely, I want an internal rollcage like this:
http://www.safetydevices.com/expedition/pr...esent/230/
but I hope to God I never need it Shocked

i know of a td5 110 with one of these fitted. I also like the mantec? rear cargo guard thats on there.
Post #110670 29th Dec 2011 11:10pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
A good way to think about the layout is to consider what you will be doing.

Think about a typical day and the order you will do things, then try to plan the storage solutions accordingly.

For us, the tent goes up first, followed by the beds and bedding, so they are easily accesable. Cooking comes next, so our main cooker is next and so it goes on.

Things evolve, we made do with a jerry can of water for washing and bottled water for everythign else. It was a nause so we now have a water pump on a single jerry can which we use for everything. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #110679 29th Dec 2011 11:54pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
T1G UP wrote:
i need an idea on seat runners without lifting the seat to much.

cheapest idea I have seen is pack some washer under the rear seat bolts/runner base so that the seat runner travels over the bulk head fitting Thumbs Up
Post #110685 30th Dec 2011 12:28am
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Quote:

T1G UP wrote:
and a host of man up parts

So, got your work cut out then Rolling with laughter

Quote:

Meeoww....Ah well, could be worse, could be Walfy!

This is our main vehicle so must perform daily duties as well as the further afield stuff. So the mantec storage cages along with a little sliding tray and boxes will do the same, for us, as a £600 mobile storage system AND fit the shopping / dog / horse stuff etc. The rear security comes along later. I like the spec of your 110 Tim, considered and reversable mods. It suits my needs but i can tot up the $$$$ spent and right now i'm not spending all that whilst i got another house to sell and move.

In his defence, He has been there and done it, with a few successful trips under his belt

Mine is all set up to do the daily jobs at present, Towing/Horses/Work tool etc,, but can be "converted" in about 2 hours for lanning/trips etc (rack.tent.awning,seats out, floor in, fridge, etc etc)

That the beauty of a Defender, so versatile and easy adaptable to what ever you what and need,, that why we all buy them !!! Thumbs Up California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #110709 30th Dec 2011 9:56am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Land Rovers are probably the purest expression currently available of form following function in a civilian car and there's a strong argument that any modifications should be approached in the same way, i.e. fit only what's needed for the task in hand.

In reality though, to many people Land Rovers are as much about the idea of adventure as about its' specific abilities. Most owners won't get anywhere near to the limits of the ability of their vehicles, but I'd wager that virtually all of them like the idea that they might one day. That's why they (we) put up with all of the compromises in terms of ride and comfort when compared to more modern vehicles. To that end, whilst a lot of modifications are probably strictly speaking unnecessary, they're important to the owner because they represent an aspiration or perhaps a 'be prepared' ethos.

What's a real shame is the number of people who feel the need to make judgements of this sort of stuff - usually from the comfort of their armchair. It's also amazing how many opinions about modifications are presented as facts - you must do this, or you must do that - when the need, or want, will be different for every owner. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #110714 30th Dec 2011 10:20am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
TJ101 wrote:
That the beauty of a Defender, so versatile and easy adaptable to what ever you what and need,, that why we all buy them !!! Thumbs Up

Absolutely. The Thunderbird 2 of the 4x4 world Very Happy Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #110716 30th Dec 2011 10:23am
leeds

United Kingdom 
The biggest NEED on any overland trip is a mechanically reliable vehicle.

OK travelling in convoy it might just prove to be a right PITA for everybody if someone has a mechanically unreliable vehicle.

Travelling solo in remote areas then it could be a matter of life or death.

Remember local knowledge is normally best knowledge.

Talk to people who have done the type of trip you are planning on doing. At shows etc talk to owners of kit that you are interested in. Make sure they have used the kit themselves in anger, rather then having just bought a fully kitted out vehicle Razz

At shows when talking to sales people try to ascertain their experience of travelling. Are they just sales people or have they travelled and used the kit? I once come across someone who was giving out overland advice. When I asked him what ACTUAL experience he had, I got the reply 'None, but he had done his research!' Rolling with laughter

Do your research first, carefully consider YOUR needs, YOUR budget then YOUR wants.

Is it going to be a one off, 2 week holiday in convoy, or is it a precursor to a much bigger longer trip of a lifetime, or an annual event?

Once you have done YOUR research, decided on YOUR needs for YOUR trip/s then buy good quality kit to suit your needs. If you decide you do not need the kit later, good quality second hand kit will readily sell and you will get a good percentage of your money back

Remember there is no such think as a silly question, however there is such a thing as a stupid answer.

OK lets get back on topic.

Brendan
Post #110728 30th Dec 2011 11:22am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
Different people will have different needs due to many different reasons.

One of the essential needs for the majority of people planning trips is a CARGO BARRIER.

Only have soft items loose in the passenger compartments. Hard items should be well secured in the passenger compartments.

When things go tits up, it happens fast. Get clobbered around back of head with loose pillow/fleece etc does not matter. Have a loose shackle/fire extinguisher/lump hammer hitting you around back of head at mach 5 and it will hurt

STORAGE, think carefully about it. Tea brewing kit needs to be handy, it does not matter if it takes 30 minutes to get your spare fuel filter out. Keep a few tools handy, stanley knife/adjustable spanner etc. Does it matter if it takes 30 minutes to get your hub spanner out or a full socket set out? If you need those items you will not be going anywhere fast so a bit of time getting them out is not a big issue.

Remember a standard Land Rover is a very capable machine out of the box, and excess weight is a travelers enemy!

Travelling solo you have to be more self reliant then travelling in a convoy.

Different people have different budgets. Consider your medium term needs as well as your short term needs.

Brendan

Good advice. I've seen loads of people have to empty their vehicle every time they stop for lunch. Daft. You don't need your socket set etc immediately to hand, and they really should be stored as low as possible and buried anyway. Get the weight towards the middle and low down, light stuff on top and higher.
Post #110792 30th Dec 2011 3:00pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
well i've sent out my first list.

rear storage and driver comforts first.
Post #110795 30th Dec 2011 3:16pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
T1G UP wrote:
well i've sent out my first list.

rear storage and driver comforts first.

come on then Marcus, what's on the list ?
Post #110965 31st Dec 2011 12:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12