↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [For Sale] 1984 90 V8 Manual - Modified
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
[For Sale] 1984 90 V8 Manual - Modified
Sadly the time has come to sell off our project 90 as I no longer have the space to store it since moving house.

The build thread for it is linked in my email signature at the bottom of the page with loads of details of the vehicle but please see a bit of a summary below:

Vehicle has just had a fresh MOT (10th April) and should be tax exempt next March I believe. Since getting it back on the road after the rebuild in 2019, it has only covered about 3500miles. It has just had oil and filters replaced and a new brake light switch fitted.

- Original base vehicle was a 1984 4cyl 90 hard-top (V5 logbook correctly updated with engine number, capacity, change of fuel type and colour change).
- Fully rebuilt by ourselves in 2018/2019 using a 1998 3.9i V8 Discovery (122k miles) which donated engine, gearbox axles and power steering box.
Current vehicle mileage is 110572miles, the original mileage from the 90 was retained and transposed onto the TD5 speedometer when fitted.
Engine/Drivetrain:
- 3.9i V8 fitted with Headman tubular exhaust manifolds. Fully bespoke exhaust with twin stainless rear silencers and tailpipes exiting through the rear crossmember, sump was cleaned out and re-sealed, new water pump was fitted back in 2021, new alternator fitted, inlet manifold/valley gasket replaced, new thermostat, rocker cover gaskets replaced. Adjustable FPR fitted. Air intake uses a RRC metal canister air filter mounted on the bonnet as per the 40th anniversary vehicles. Oil cooler lines are braided stainless steel with motorsport fittings.
- New clutch, master and slave cylinders and brake master cylinder.
- Engine is running original 14CUX management system, injectors were cleaned and tested, correct tune resistor fitted for non-CAT setup.
- Entire ignition system has been changed in the last 12 months (Lucas Coil, NGK plugs, OEM HT leads, Powerspark Distributor, ignition amplifier).
- R380 manual gearbox (converted to Defender shifter location), Defender Td5 1.4 ratio transfer box and TD5 propshafts.
- 24spline diffs and one-piece rear shafts
- Vented front discs with Genuine LR puma 110 calipers. Rear brakes are solid disc but converted to use Defender unvented 4-pot front calipers. A brake bias adjuster is fitted to allow the brake distribution to be adjusted accordingly.
- Braided stainless brake lines.
- New old-stock 2.5TD large core radiator with built in oil cooler, fitted with dual-electric fans.
- Mocal oil cooler fitted in-front of the radiator for cooling the R380. Stainless braided hose with motorsport fittings used and original R380 thermostat unit fitted.
- Remote breathers fitted to axles and gearbox and routed to a manifold under the bonnet.
- New rear stub axles and wheel bearings all around.
- H/D front drive flanges.
- Rebuilt front swivels.
Suspension/chassis:
- Powerflex bushes fitted throughout (except for shock absorbers).
- Puma 90 genuine take-off springs, shocks, and steering damper.
- Tubular front shock turrets and H/D retainers.
- All spring seats and retainers galvanised.
- Chassis was stripped back to bare metal, all corrosion cut out and replaced using YRM repair pieces and S275 steel re-enforcement plates fitted to mount the 2” CDS North Offroad cage which is tied to the chassis at the bulkhead outriggers, behind the cab and in the rear load bed. Cage and installation is all as per AWDC regs. Chassis was also fitted with a custom rear crossmember made by Blacksheep which he fitted with custom apertures for the exhaust tailpipes. Heavy duty recovery point fitted to the rear cross member using towbar mounting holes (I did briefly have a NATO hitch fitted too).
- All brackets and fittings were galvanised and either painted or powdercoated during the rebuild. The chassis was not galvanised though unfortunately but was properly painted and internally sprayed with Dinitrol products.

Fuel System:
- New 90 under seat metal fuel tank was fitted, using a modified Discovery efi fuel pump. The in-tank pump feeds a fuel swirl pot in the load bed which has an adjacent Bosch 044 style pump and fuel filter (original Discovery efi filter). All fuel lines are PTFE lined, stainless braided fitted with the blue/red motorsport connections.
Bodywork/Protection:
- Heavy-duty galvanised steel steering guard with recovery points fitted at the front underneath an original style galvanised bumper w/endcaps, galvanised rock sliders (Masai I think) and a galvanised steel fuel tank guard.
- Heavy duty galvanised wrap-around.
- Bodywork wise, it has the original one-piece lift handle doors which were rebuilt using repair panels, re-skinned, locks refurbished and new doorcards fitted. The original vehicles bulkhead was repaired and reused (no modification were made for the engine/gearbox as mounting position is as per factory R380 vehicles). Td5 floor checkerplate floor panels, Td5 seatbox and tunnel/diaphragm used. Rear tub is as per the original vehicle but repaired. Converted to truck cab using TD5 parts. Cappings all original vehicle but re-galvanised. Rear tub internal is in good order and has chequerplate panels fitted to rear bulkhead, sides and floor.
- Genuine LR rear mudflaps fitted.
- Original large diameter fuel filler neck fitted (galvanised), with pull-out filler neck extension and new locking cap.
Wheels/Tyres:
- Wheels are Terraintech Wolf copies fitted with 255/85R16 Toyo Open Country MT, matching spare wheel/tyre fitted in the rear load bed. Tyres were new when rebuilt.
Interior:
- Interior wise it has the original dashboard but fitted with a TD5 instrument binnacle and dials (including matching voltmeter in place of the clock). Mud mini-pod on top of the dashboard with VDO vision oil pressure gauge, oil temperature gauge and rev counter. Mud pod fitted in the centre of the dash containing toggle switches for ignition, fuel pumps and starter button. Also housing a bank of Carling switches for controlling the accessories and USB power socket.
- 2x Sparco reclining bucket seats fitted onto custom mounting plates to the original seat mounting positions. Blue 3-point inertia reel seatbelts, TD5 seat box, bulkhead and floor moulded mats.
- Metal lockable cubby with viny top.
- 12” OMP 3-spoke vinyl steering wheel (for me to be able to drive a truck-cab at 6’6”).
- New heater matrix.
-
Electrical/Lighting:
- I built a custom wiring loom off the vehicle throughout using correct coloured automotive thin wall cabling and based around a 2002 Td5 bulkhead wiring loom. The following has been added:
o Remote central locking,
o Heated windscreen, with timer relay,
o Rigid Industries LED truckbed light (also switchable from alarm remote),
o Side/rear facing LED worklights (also switchable from alarm remote),
o 2x 21” LED lightbars mounted beneath the cage above the windscreen,
o 2x 9” LED Lightfox spotlights fitted to A-bar.

- Additional fuse/relay box fitted under the bonnet for the headlights and spotlights to avoid overloading of the original light switch. Engine wiring loom based on original discovery stand-alone loom with new cables added as required. ECU located in a YRM tray beneath the cubby box.
- Anderson jump start connection fitted behind passenger seat.
- Toad Ai606 alarm/immobiliser fitted and fully integrated into the wiring loom (not a scotch lock in site!) and allows remote operation of headlights, worklights and bed-light.
- Wipac LED lights fitted all around.
- Wipac crystal headlights with uprated halogen bulbs.
- New battery fitted earlier this year.
Bad bits:
- We had this resprayed in Caledonian blue when we rebuilt it (sprayed in component form so all internals are body coloured) but this is not a mega quality respray but was done using proper 2-pack paints. Looks good though.
- There is a dent/scrape on the front corner of the drivers wing panel.
- The front bumper is slightly bent at one side.
- Paint on the cage hasn’t lasted quite as well as hoped so there is a bit of surface rust in places.
- Usual weep from the transfer box intermediate shaft.
- One of the sidelights intermittently seems to get condensation in it.

Insurance wise (via greenlight) has always been very reasonable at <£400 fully comp with all mods declared.

Price wise, looking for £12500. Vehicle is currently located in the Hope Valley, Derbyshire at my friends house (who is also half owner).

Cheers,
Steve

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #1032671 24th Apr 2024 2:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Cracking 90, GLWTS Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1032727 24th Apr 2024 9:35pm
Bps

United Kingdom 
Lovely 90, seen this in the flesh a while ago and it sounds fantastic, Great truck.
Post #1032853 25th Apr 2024 9:09pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Tidy.
Post #1032878 26th Apr 2024 6:17am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Nice truck!
Post #1032881 26th Apr 2024 7:12am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Thanks all, hopefully I am not out on price and will be able to find a new owner soon Thumbs Up 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #1032931 26th Apr 2024 12:08pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It’s a very nice Defender and I think it is priced right.

Most of us are already in possession of at least one Defender already, and often a host of other vehicles, but I’d l seriously consider this if I had the money - if just looks right and I bet it sounds lovely.

Good luck with the sale 👍
Post #1032970 26th Apr 2024 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1