Home > Technical > Rear Heated Window / High Level Brake Light - Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dorothy

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 HT Blenheim Silver
Rear Heated Window / High Level Brake Light - Electrics
Yep, me again!

A few issues with the rear heated Masai glass and high level brake light. Seller forgot to mention those too... Wink

I decided to strip down and have a look, not knowing how the high level brake light functions. Initially I found a dud bulb, delighted. Then alas I found that neither of the two tabs were affixed to the window contacts. some evidence of failed solder attempts.

Not sure whether there is enough contact in place to reaffix these? Soldering wasn't happening so I assume I must use some conductive epoxy? If the tabs won't play ball could I just solder the wire direct to a good portion?

There is a side tab disconnected too, which will means rubber trim removal to access. Being Masai, the 'I'll replace the glass is a bit more complicated'.

Another option could be an LED high level brake light wired directly. No idea how the brake lights works in conjunction with the window elements

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2001 Defender Special Vehicles TD5 Hardtop (Ex Scottish an Southern) Side Lockers, Side Hatches - Poorly chassis and bulkhead. (SORNd)
2013 Defender Puma Utility XS
Post #1031974 18th Apr 2024 9:30am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Bypass the heated screen and run cable directly to the lower brakelight on that side. Much more robust solution I dont know why anyone thought using the heater element for the high level brake was a good idea. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1031984 18th Apr 2024 10:11am
jcw

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I’ve tried soldering those connector tabs to the conductive film on the glass and failed to get any kind of joint between the two, despite being fairly competent generally in soldering. The film just pulls away from the glass with any heat applied.

As suggested above, I decided to run the high level brake wiring via a separate twin core cable, hidden behind the rubber seal and connected directly to the loom behind the door casing.

Luckily the heated glass connectors towards the bottom were all ok, so connected these up using the existing loom connectors.
Post #1031985 18th Apr 2024 10:17am
Dorothy

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 HT Blenheim Silver
Thanks chaps. That is clearly the simplest solution. Bewilderingly dreadful design... (AGAIN). 2001 Defender Special Vehicles TD5 Hardtop (Ex Scottish an Southern) Side Lockers, Side Hatches - Poorly chassis and bulkhead. (SORNd)
2013 Defender Puma Utility XS
Post #1031990 18th Apr 2024 10:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1