↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Wiring a new engine loom on my tdi. I feel really thick
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ryan_1993

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Rioja Red
Wiring a new engine loom on my tdi. I feel really thick
So unfortunately on a long drive back from Scotland I discovered my EGR electrics were still live, even though the EGR valve itself has been removed from the vehicle many years ago, the electronics on the bulkhead and under the seat box are all present. The third pin of the alternator carries the electrical power for the EGR valve control systems and this is NOT fused, I guess something must’ve malfunctioned in the remaining EGR electronics because that third alternator wire completely melted my engine loom so I’m new engine loom is to be installed.

Since the EGR is blanked off, and the spider has always been problematic, I’ve decided to buy the non-EGR, non-immobiliser loom.

Overall, it looks pretty easy to install. Everything seems to just have plug connectors. I’m just trying to understand how it works at the battery end. at the moment the current loom terminates into the black spider in immobiliser box in the battery bay, but this new room doesn’t have that.

So the loom goes from the alternator round the engine, plugged into the various little probes on the block etc. I can then see on the bulkhead near the drivers side a black plastic plug after this, where would the engine loom terminate after this? I’m assuming it has to go onto the battery somehow because isn’t the thick brown cable within the loom what charges the battery back From the alternatr.

Hope someone can help clarify and I don’t want do anything wrong
Post #1030675 5th Apr 2024 5:29pm
Will@LRW

1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Is there a part number on the new loom, or can you post a photo of it?

I'm wondering if you have a post 99 ROW loom. LR Workshop
Find a Defender's history and spec: https://defender.lrworkshop.com
Post #1030771 6th Apr 2024 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1