↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > Alarm goes off when charging at night!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Somewhat not surprised that they found no faults based on the checklist of investigations from the TA - it's all going back to the TA, which may lead to further investigation but I'm fully expecting them to try and hand this back with no resolution, which in my view is not acceptable. Maybe I should have been prepared for this with Land Rover but I'm new to LR and don't think it's right for a PHEV, for the money we pay, to have this kind of fault.
Post #1021548 17th Jan 2024 5:31pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
So as expected the dealership could find no faults after following the TA advice and assessments. They are handing it back to me today and asking me to see how it goes charging at home! I'm no further on and feel this is an integral issue with battery drain due to the hybrid nature of the p400e.

I think my only option, given they have had three attempts to correct this is to get them to replace the vehicle - does anyone have any experience of this?

Also, Fifer, have you heard anything back from JLR on the Evoque?
Post #1021647 18th Jan 2024 1:37pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Another update - picked the car up last night but had the opportunity to sit down with the senior technician who had been working on my Defender. She was brilliant, I have to say, explained what she had been discussing with the TA and gave me a lot more information than I was getting from the service desk person.

Essentially, Land Rover have dealt with three cases of this fault. In all three, they advised updating both the BCCM (Battery Charge Control Module) and BCM (Body Control Module) and having done this, none of the dealerships have come back with continuing problems.

Mine had only had the BCCM updated on the first visit so fingers crossed that now they have updated the BCM as well, the fault is resolved. If not, they will have to come to my home and perform different tests for when the alarm is triggered!!
Post #1021745 19th Jan 2024 9:50am
Fifer

Good luck with your fix.

We got the call to collect the Evoque on Thursday afternoon, and were advised that the fault could not be replicated (the car was with the dealer since Monday), however they did some software updates.

At 2:16 this morning, when the charge was complete the alarm was triggered once again.

Given the previous charging troubles she has experienced with the Evoque I’m sure my wife has the mental fortitude to see this through.

Many years of electric and hybrids from Mini electric to BMW i8 but only Lamd Rover has caused such headaches.
Post #1021977 21st Jan 2024 9:43am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Well the fix did not work!!! 12:10 this morning, 10mins into the charge and the alarm is off again…the wife is going to divorce me getting woken up all the time! Strangely on a timed charge this morning the alarm wasn’t triggered but I’m wondering if it has something to do with the amount of electricity on offer at night versus during the day when more is being used, so less is available for the car.

Anyway, back to the dealership as the TA had a final option of doing detailed diagnostic at our home….but someone will need to be up at night to do that!

Fifer, I had exactly the same thing with them not being able to recreate in the workshop and so they hand it back to you. I did read on another forum that dealerships like to delay raising a TA for as long as possible as they can claim back diagnostic hours against Topix warranty times and argue that they were "exploring all options" before raising the TA... = more bottom-line cash for
them! Keep on them as LR have seen this before so it is definitely a fault. I’ll let you know how the next steps go…..
Post #1022003 21st Jan 2024 12:13pm
Lee551247

I have a P400e defender and the alarm goes off at night when charging, I don’t use timed charge but it goes off in pre alarm occasionally, hope you manage to find a fix as it is annoying!
Post #1023394 3rd Feb 2024 8:07am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
No fix yet Lee, it was back in the workshop last week to do another fault read, which did pick up a charge control module fault. They’re re-opening the TA with LR centrally and hopefully they’ll be able to determine how to resolve it. They will always ask about the wall charger you’re using to try and pin it on that but it’s extremely rare. The only problem I am aware of is the Octopus EV charge tariff that works out when the grid is low and then charges your car…has been known to cause problems, but I’m on British Gas which just charges me less at night. I’ll update when I know more….
Post #1023512 4th Feb 2024 9:22am
Lee551247

They can’t say it’s the wall charger as mine is charged from a 3 pin plug with the Land Rover lead and I’m not with octopus energy so they are talking rubbish with both of those claims if that helps you at all, hopefully they will find a fix!
Post #1023516 4th Feb 2024 9:53am
Fifer

We’re no further forward than anyone else with this. Two days after the car was returned from a four day stint at LR the alarm went off again during the charging period. It’s happened a further twice in the past week.

Back to the dealer in a couple of weeks. Most frustrating that there is a wait of five weeks to get an appointment.
Post #1023521 4th Feb 2024 11:38am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Fifer, my advice would be to push them to open a TA with LR centrally. They’ll say at first, that because they can’t recreate the fault in the workshop, they can’t open a TA as it will just get rejected. That’s BS as they’re just stalling for as long as possible to get warranty hours paid. The TA technician on mine has said there are a few cases of this and advised to update the BCCM and BCM but this hasn’t been successful. There is definitely a fault code coming up around the charge control module and it’s all gone back to the TA on Friday so I should hear tomorrow what the next steps are. Even this morning the alarm went off and it wasn’t on timed charge at all….it’s getting ridiculous!
Post #1023529 4th Feb 2024 2:17pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
An update on the saga so far....after another 4 days at the dealership last week, my TA was escalated to 'engineering' who within 24 hours determined there was no fault with the car! The response from them was dumbfounding, not least the questions they asked, essentially telling me it was due to tampering with the cable when plugged in, the cable being faulty and then asking a load of questions, which had already been asked and answered over the last 3+ months.

I have now formally rejected the car and requested a replacement....let's see how that goes and if anyone has experience and/or advice of this process, it would be greatly appreciated.
Post #1025994 26th Feb 2024 12:00pm
jsinclair

Australia 
Good luck.

The whole thing is pretty outrageous.
Post #1026314 29th Feb 2024 12:33am
Tomytito

France 
Hi everyone
I have the same case and I was delivered last August
I managed to fix the problem!
All you have to do is reset the Pivi Pro (wait few seconds until it restarts) and disable the automatic update of Liveapps…that’s all
In fact, when a live app tries to update itself, downloading and/or installing it blocks the alarm system when it charges. And we can’t see that the update is blocked…
By resetting the Pivi Pro and making sure that Liveapps are no longer updated automatically, the alarm problem is solved!
Still, it's not normal. A vehicle similar to mine is being processed by the dealer, same production, and I've given them the solution, which I think will help them understand the origin of the problem and do the necessary. It seems that corrupted files have been installed on some production 2023 cars...I'll give you info when I get it.
Jim, I hope I've helped you!
Post #1027468 10th Mar 2024 10:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12