↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 ECU repairs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
TD5 ECU repairs
During last winter I have spent some time with non working TD5 ECUs and as a result I made schematics of the ECU internals and I think, I understand how the hardware of ECU works. Here are some pictures and videos of ECU testing with crank signal simulator: https://www.rajce.idnes.cz/ok2mtm/album/td5-ecu-oprava-repair

I was able to repair quite fast 10 ECUs I had here as death on arrival for long time. Problems were different, often broken passive component, but never problem with the two big capacitors.
To simulate the crank sensor signal I use basic Arduino board with short and simple code. For first test runs I was using spare set of old injectors, but it is quite noisy, so I made some solenoids with screws used as cores and to make the running ECU audible a visible.

Non repairable are ECUs totally burnt (small burnt through hole is still possible to repair) or drowned for long time. Bot of these results in too big much damaged parts.

With schematics faults like TOP SWITCH are possible to diagnose and repair. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1027263 8th Mar 2024 11:43am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
And some more pictures:
Signal from crank sensor simulator.

Click image to enlarge

Burnt ECU - this is not repairable.

Click image to enlarge

Home made test bench.

Click image to enlarge

During test the ECU is powered from old battery, because it has no connection to ground and makes some measurements simpler. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1027264 8th Mar 2024 11:50am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Very impressive Bow down  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1027265 8th Mar 2024 11:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1