↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rejection and replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Rejection and replacement
Hi all, I've just started the rejection and replacement process for my 110 X-Dynamic HSE p400e....long story as to why (I do have a thread on the p400e topic board - alarm trigger one!). If anyone has any advice having been through it themsleves that would be great to hear, as I have no precedent on this, being a new ownew to LR. Thank you
Post #1026129 27th Feb 2024 11:52am
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Hi Jim

I've rejected 2 new cars from Land Rover which I purchased through a Sytner Dealership.

The first was a 2014 RR Evoque for my wife. When we went into the dealership to collect the vehicle we noticed that the paintwork looked like orange peel. The Dealer Principle came out from his office. Took one look and said "I'll order you another new one". My wife was allowed to keep the one with faulty paintwork for 4 moths until the replacement arrived.

The second was a 2017 Range Rover Sport. I had traded my 2014 RRS in for it but on the drive home it just didn't feel right. Once home I popped the bonnet only to find the engine compartment full of dead leaves. Over the next few months the brakes started to squeal and the instrument TFT panel would go blank for 10 to 20 seconds while driving. The car went back to the dealership several times but they could never stop the brake squeal. Then one night I was driving along a country lane in heavy rain when the headlights and instrument display all switched themselves off. Luckily I was on a straight stretch of road and stopped without going through a hedge row. Before I could even think if I needed a change of under ware everything switched back on again. I had lost confidence in the car so next day went back to the dealership and asked to reject the car. I was asked if I wanted a full refund or a like for like replacement. I went for a replacement and was given a demonstrator to run around in until the new one arrived.

Back then the process was straight forward and quite civil.
Post #1026144 27th Feb 2024 2:29pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your insights Jim and good to know it was a smooth process for you. Mine may be a little more challenging as they have not been able to recreate the fault in the workshop.....so I'm sure they are going to try and push back!
Post #1026154 27th Feb 2024 4:02pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Hi

I went through it 5 months ago with my New Range Rover. It wasn't difficult, I had already warmed the dealer principle up to it over the months prior with all the troubleshooting back and forth. In the end when the fault happened again and I sent them video footage he almost suggested we start the process as they were at a loss!

I think its key is be clear (in writing) what your expectation is out of the process as the outcome can have some flexibility. Are you looking at being put back in the same financial position as when you purchased or are you looking to just get a replacement car? There are fair use clauses in the rejection process and the LR guidance for dealers comes up with silly numbers but thankfully the dealer agreed to waver it out of good will and I got everything back. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1026259 28th Feb 2024 3:19pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your insights RDR and good to know it wasn't a difficult process, fingers crossed mine is smooth. I'm looking for a like-for-like replacement so am hoping a little brand loyalty will help this through. Out of interest, what was the fault on your Range Rover?
Post #1026331 29th Feb 2024 9:27am
RDR

United Kingdom 
In short i didn't have a single fault free day of ownership from snags with Body work alignment and creaking interior to bigger faults such as GPS positioning issues, EV faults and water ingress. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1026339 29th Feb 2024 10:30am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Bloody hell, that's a lot although it's sounds unfortunately, very similar to mine.....alarm trigger on timed charging, cannot precondition, all sound in the rear, EV temporarily unavailable, misaligned rear door, loose pano glass, vibrating speakers......the alarm trigger is the main one, which they are stumped on as they can't recreate it in the workshop....like you though, I have plenty of video evidence of it faulting!
Post #1026352 29th Feb 2024 11:59am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
RDR wrote:
In short i didn't have a single fault free day of ownership from snags with Body work alignment and creaking interior to bigger faults such as GPS positioning issues, EV faults and water ingress.

Hi RDR - quick question about the fault you had video footage of - were the dealership unable to recreate the fault in the workshop, hence the video evidence? The reason being that the main fault I have they are unable to recreate! Thanks
Post #1027168 7th Mar 2024 3:38pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt's bizarre that you can get a new Defender that's a dud, and from the same production line one that gives no trouble at all.

l can't see how anything could be different, having been on a tour of the production line everything is exactly the same. There's no way to make a "Friday afternoon vehicle"

How can one have creaking doors while the next down the line is perfectly silent?
Post #1027209 7th Mar 2024 9:05pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
It’s all about quality of 3rd party supplied parts.
The build process is very robust and highly monitored. Not guaranteed..but close to it.

The parts they build with are bought in.
Each external supplier has quality targets. It would be nice to think the target is 100%…but it isn’t. It’s just not practically possible.
So when your wiper motor ( for example) fails it’s not how it’s assembled by JLR...it’s how the component was manufactured. Even with a RFT target of 99.5% 5 cars out of 1000 will fail.

Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1027211 7th Mar 2024 9:14pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Clemmo wrote:
It’s all about quality of 3rd party supplied parts.
The build process is very robust and highly monitored. Not guaranteed..but close to it.

The parts they build with are bought in.
Each external supplier has quality targets. It would be nice to think the target is 100%…but it isn’t. It’s just not practically possible.
So when your wiper motor ( for example) fails it’s not how it’s assembled by JLR...it’s how the component was manufactured. Even with a RFT target of 99.5% 5 cars out of 1000 will fail.

Clemmo Thumbs Up

The point that Clemmo makes is an interesting one because I have now heard rumblings, with respect to component quality, re various other car manufacturers, as well as other products that are dependent on ‘quality’ electronic components.

For instance, quite recently, I had a heating engineer out and we got chatting about the build quality of one of the ‘name brand’ big supplier of circulation pumps. His view on it was that pre pandemic they had few failures and the pumps ran for years and years, being well made and reliable. However, post pandemic, they have had a slew that needed to be swapped out after less than two years and generally all were based on electronic component failure. The general feeling he, and his colleagues, were left with were that in the struggle to source electronic components, either poorer quality ones were being used and/or the ones being produced were being made in a hurry, with less focus on quality checks.

Have heard this from a few other, separate, markets and it does make you wonder how reliability, longevity, of the main products could be effected.
Post #1027249 8th Mar 2024 8:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1