↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New and old
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt comes over as negative.
It's actually the most uniformly negative feedback about the new Defender l have ever read. Even the hardened Land Rover enthusiasts on Landyzone (no L663 section on that forum) were more positive than you!

You don't work at lneos R&D by any chance?

However
Having said all that, l am to a point in agreement with you, that the new Defender isn't the old Defender by a long shot. But l think it's a good evolution.

lf only Land Rover had built a Suzuki Jimny, only larger. Suzuki seemed to have managed to mix old and new without too many compromises, and they did it for under £20,000

Last edited by lightning on 1st Mar 2024 5:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1026492 1st Mar 2024 5:17pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 
Here’s my new and old

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1026497 1st Mar 2024 5:35pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
TexasRover wrote:
Just like all retro design.

But it isn't a retro design, its not as if Rover stopped making the model in the 50s or that there was a radical design departure 40+ years ago. The old model was on sale right up until 2016, the new model was only 4 year later and would have been under design while the old was still being built.

How was it any different from the transition between the old and the new mini, or the beetle for that matter. They used (milked) the original design for design clues and then built a completely different modern car.

James May once dismissed retro designs as cheap and cowardly. You should really admire the designers that create true new iconic designs.
Post #1026503 1st Mar 2024 6:02pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
as you own one, you (and many others) are then biased in trying to justify how it does resemble the old one. Even though it doesn't.

It a way it is rather like the Monty Python dead parrot clip. Completel and utter refusal to accept the facts, even when starring them directly in the face. Rolling with laughter

You have posted your opinions, not facts. I think there are numerous styling references both internally and externally. You obviously don’t. Ownership has nothing to do with it.

None so blind as those who will not see etc.

To claim that the old model was continuously updated is farcical at best. A 2016 110 is basically the same car as a 1983 110, just with a different drivetrain and interior.
Post #1026505 1st Mar 2024 6:44pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
johnlad wrote:
Here’s my new and old

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Love both your vehicles! Having both (old and new) is the way to go if you can do it. l wish l could have kept my old one but l had nowhere to store it.

Our garage will barely fit the Suzuki Jimny and that's 3/4 the size of a Defender.
Post #1026562 2nd Mar 2024 11:03am
lightning

United Kingdom 
"To claim that the old model was continuously updated is farcical at best. A 2016 110 is basically the same car as a 1983 110, just with a different drivetrain and interior.[/quote]"

That's not entirely fair, although the last really big upgrade was the change to coil springs back in 1983.

The Land Rover 90, later Defender, was continually refined over the years. For instance the TD5 is a lot less "agricultural" to drive than the previous 300tdi.

It's not just the engine.Refinement generally was improved (well, compared to the previous model. lt was still a tractor) The Puma engine version is better still for those who want to use it on the road.

There were various improvements, better doors, one piece tailgate, heated seats and electric windows, heated screen, reasonable audio system etc.

Many people say that Land Rover "could have done so much more with it" But they did. lt was called "Discovery" (1/2) and was basically a Defender SUV.
Same underpinnings but designed to work on road as a family vehicle.
Post #1026567 2nd Mar 2024 12:00pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Mr Fox wrote:
The Drumstick joined the forum with a "Pretender" post and seems to only know one tune.

We get it, you don't like it.

Maybe admin could have a word with him? It is an ongoing thing and he doesn't seem to get the message. m
Post #1026614 2nd Mar 2024 9:56pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 
I’m pretty sure the Drumstick is the same character as 300/bhp ton from Landyzone.
Where he spouts the same stuff. Seems too much of a coincidence as there both from close to Milton Keynes and preach the same gospel about the Grenadier
Post #1026624 2nd Mar 2024 11:30pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I wouldn't stress. You get them on every forum. As far as they are concerned, once the wheel was invented, all progress stopped and no amount of evidence and debate will convince them to the contrary Rolling Eyes

More positively, love johnlad's green 90 above. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1026646 3rd Mar 2024 10:09am
lightning

United Kingdom 
He's allowed to dislike the new Defender if he wants, but maybe stick to the old Defender forum ?

l would say, show me your better Defender design that includes all the safety requirements including pedestrian impact mitigation and environmental needs.

For instance, the platform will need to support a fully electric drivetrain. The Suzuki Jimny is the nearest to an old Defender, and it's cheap. Sadly emissions have killed it off in the U.K. but the new five door version would be a genuine contender.

?feature=shared
Post #1026672 3rd Mar 2024 2:09pm
Dave S

Northern Ireland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
My new one is the 10th Defender I have owned. Just could not find it in me to part with the 9th one so it has stayed. I wasn't convinced when the new model was launched but after a test drive my mind was made up. It replaced a 4.8 petrol V8 Porsche Cayenne - superb driving vehicle - and is a completely different driving experience. In my humble opinion Land Rover have got it right. The interior is such a great place to be and the driving experience sublime. The 3.0 litre D250 and auto box works very well. Even a grumpy old git like myself has to move on once in a while!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1026752 4th Mar 2024 8:47am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Great pair of vehicles you have there! Easier to make a comparison when you have both on your drive.
Post #1026757 4th Mar 2024 9:29am
Moo

Ukraine 
Nice. I agree with you that the D250 is a cracking engine and that Land Rover got it right, I just wish they'd done the same with the D4 replacement. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1026764 4th Mar 2024 9:53am
Dave S

Northern Ireland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thank you for your kind replys. Much appreciated.
Post #1026787 4th Mar 2024 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123