↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Spotlight wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FireTom

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Spotlight wiring
Hi all, I know you can buy ready made looms to wire up 1 light bar or spotlight but I’m looking at putting 4 round spotlights on my flat dog roof rack.

For multiple lights do most people make up their own looms? Or can you buy a loom with 4 spurs on for spotlights?
I have looked but not had much luck!

Whatever wiring I have from the lights themselves I already have a waterproof plug on the roof from the previous owner, with power to it and a switch in the dash. He must have removed whatever lights he had on there previously.

Many thanks.
Post #1023175 1st Feb 2024 1:16am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Many of the looms you buy will have wires for 2 lights. But even those with only one. It would still be easy to adapt to wire 4 units in.

But it depends if you want to make a whole loom or not.

Do remember lights up on a roof rack will be terrible to drive with as you’ll get excessive reflection off the bonnet, making it harder to see out of the windscreen. Really they work better as static lights when you are parked up. Options to make them semi useful when moving would be to mat black the bonnet. If you look at Camel throphy Disco 1’s you can see they did this to the flat of the bonnet for this very reason.
Post #1023186 1st Feb 2024 9:56am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
When it comes to a simple A-bar mounted pair of spot lights it is easy enough to buy a ready-made loom. However, when you move away from the usual it is absolutely best to make your own loom so that it properly fits the application, 4 roof lights or multiple scene lights etc.

Making up your own loom is not a difficult task, in fact it is incredibly satisfying work, or at least I find it to be.

I will shortly be making a 4 spot light loom for the top of Miffy and three scene light (3 lights fitted to the roll cage) loom as well. These days with LED lights the wiring has become much easier as they draw so little amps, making the wires smaller and easier to hide away. After that all you need are connectors, relays and switches.

A fun project Thumbs Up
Post #1023195 1st Feb 2024 11:59am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Do remember lights up on a roof rack will be terrible to drive with as you’ll get excessive reflection off the bonnet, making it harder to see out of the windscreen

I think that that is something of an exaggeration, I have an absurd cheapo Chinesium lightbar and although it does scatter light on the bonnet that doesn't actually distract from the massive pool of light ahead of the vehicle at all, certainly nothing like as badly as the doom-mongers led me to expect (it's also really cool if you squirt the headlights as the spray jets sparkle like diamonds in the light Very Happy )

The situations when roof lights are utterly useless and extremely counter-useful are fog and any form of precipitation (rain, snow, drizzle, anything like that). Under these conditions you cannot see even as far as the front of the bonnet with the roof lights on.

I would certainly agree that there are considerations that should be considered when considering roof lights, but they do have uses and may be just what you need.

Incidentally I have always been led to understand that the reason for the black bonnets on Camel Discos (and indeed many other overland vehicles) is nothing to do with roof lights (you still see the bonnet even if it is matt black) but is all about the glare when driving into a low sun. Anyone who has driven a Disco with a shiny bonnet under these conditions, as I have on many occasions, will know that it is virtually impossible to see anything at all with the sun both stright in your eyes and reflecting off the bonnet. Truly horrible driving conditions. I have on several occasions come very close to having my Disco bonnet wrapped matt black for this reason. It doesn't tend to be a problem on Defenders since (on the Puma at least) the bulge lessens the reflection and the relative position of the bonnet and driver's eyes are better. The Disco, with its huge flat mirror-like surface is as bad as any vehicle I have ever driven.
Post #1023196 1st Feb 2024 12:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I had forgotten about the Disco bonnet blinding reflected glare issue Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Going up hill into the sun in winter was always a cross your fingers and squint operation. Still, I utterly regret selling our 300tdi Disco, such a great vehicle and we should have kept it. Hey-ho...

The Camel trophy black out bonnet is how I understood it as well Thumbs Up Everything you say about fog and drizzle is 100% true as well. The glare off the bonnet is a non-issue when using off-road as you are going so slowly and you shouldn't be using the lights on the road... Rolling Eyes

When planning for roof lights I highly advise two pencil beams in the centre with fog/driving beams on the outside. This way you gain depth and width of your light field. Most chineseium LED light bars come with this setup as standard and the light you get out of them is... BLAH... everywhere.

Anyway... Sod the Doom-mongers... If you want them do it, you can always take them off again Thumbs Up
Post #1023198 1st Feb 2024 12:14pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
setting sun should be beer'o'clock anyway, no sense in driving around. Thumbs Up
Post #1023199 1st Feb 2024 12:14pm
blackwolf

geobloke wrote:
Anyway... Sod the Doom-mongers... If you want them do it, you can always take them off again Thumbs Up

This rates as amongst the sagest advice posted on this forum! Laughing
Post #1023220 1st Feb 2024 2:08pm
blackwolf

pistonfields wrote:
setting sun should be beer'o'clock anyway, no sense in driving around. Thumbs Up

Ah, but what if you are driving east early in the day? Or is that beer-o'clock too? Rolling with laughter
Post #1023221 1st Feb 2024 2:09pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
geobloke wrote:

This rates as amongst the sagest advice posted on this forum! Laughing

What a day Shocked

I have just been raised to Forum Sage status Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter Bow down
Post #1023226 1st Feb 2024 3:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
pistonfields wrote:

Ah, but what if you are driving east early in the day? Or is that beer-o'clock too? Rolling with laughter

Is always 5 o'clock somewhere... https://youtu.be/BPCjC543llU?si=n0GI4tNkSY-noweJ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #1023227 1st Feb 2024 3:40pm
FireTom

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for all your advice everyone. I’ll make my own loom up then I think.
Post #1024112 9th Feb 2024 5:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1