↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 Puma Fuel Gauge Wandering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Two90s

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
2.2 Puma Fuel Gauge Wandering
Help on my 2012 90 Puma station wagon the fuel gauge is behaving unpredictably. This morning it was showing empty with the warning light on, when I brimmed it, it only took 48 litres, so I know there was a quarter of a tank or so in there.

After filling, the gauge moved to 3/4 full, then after 10 minutes driving, the needle rose to full.

So, is it a faulty sender, or a faulty gauge, or something else ?

Where is the sender ? (I know it is in the tank, but how do you get at it.) It is easy in the 90 Van, the sender is under the drivers seat, but in the station wagon, the tank is at the back, and I am not sure there is access. I hope you don't need to drop the tank. I am in the office at the moment and it is pouring down so I can't really get under it to look.

thanks for any ideas/suggestions Puma 90 XS Station Wagon in Keswick Green 2012 2.2 Tdci
Post #1023941 8th Feb 2024 10:47am
hornet

There is another tread on here:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90834.html

Some cut an inspection hatch in the panel to get to the tank, i would do the same. There are dimensioned drawings, do a search. Otherwise, unfortunately, the tank has to be dismantled.

The first step would be to test whether the transmitter works (measure). Otherwise it could be a problem with the cluster which can be repaired by special shops.

Edit:
I did a search and found a german article, no need to understand it, look at the pictures. In case your sender is faulty this would be my route to go. I would not trust the dimensions and figure them out myself Wink
https://www.landypedia.de/index.php/Wartun...der_90_Td5

Last edited by hornet on 9th Feb 2024 9:03am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1023977 8th Feb 2024 3:33pm
Two90s

Thank you Hornet.

I have found some instructions on how to check fuel sender resistances from Martin, Site Admin, from Nov 2022.

I am posting his instructions here so I can find them again easily.

"2.2 resistance spec is 50 Ohms full, 1000 Ohms empty. You could also check at the grey chassis loom connectors under the right hand seat. At the cluster you want to measure resistance between pins 8 and 31. For the chassis loom, disconnect the grey connector pair, and on the connector with male pins (this goes to the tank) test between pins 6 and 7.

Wire colours are green with orange, and yellow with purple.

Martin"

From reading various threads, it sounds like the fault could be anywhere between the sender, the fuel pump, and the gauge, probably a corroded connector somewhere. The gauge normally fails open circuit, e.g. showing empty, and it doesn't seem to have those symptoms. We shall see.

I will report findings back here. The problem is, it is currently working fine, i.e. showing a full tank, so hard to test until it plays up again. Puma 90 XS Station Wagon in Keswick Green 2012 2.2 Tdci
Post #1023985 8th Feb 2024 4:19pm
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
48 -50 litres to fill up with the light on is what mine does. The same with the gauge going to 3/4 and up to full after a bit - its done that once 8 years ago. The sender unit is in the top of the tank so you will have a bit of difficulty removing it. I wouldn't worry but its your call. 1953 80"
1987 mini city e
2011 90"
Post #1023998 8th Feb 2024 7:02pm
Two90s

Thankyou Mr James, that is helpful info. Puma 90 XS Station Wagon in Keswick Green 2012 2.2 Tdci
Post #1024022 8th Feb 2024 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1