↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > turbos and remaps.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MalteseRover

Malta 
turbos and remaps.
Hello,

my 15p is remapped to 180hp. It has a hybrid turbo. If any of you remembers well it was throwing oil into the exhaust (it is leaking from the turbo-tailpipe mating faces/gasket).

Will it affect the performance of the remap if I go for a standard turbo? I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who ran a heavily remapped td5 with a standard turbo and he told me that it won't matter much. He also told me that hybrid turbos were known to cause some issues here in Malta.

Thank you.
Post #1023142 31st Jan 2024 7:35pm
Craig772

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I am no expert but I am considering a stage 2 for my 10P TD5. In hot hatches I know that upgraded turbo's do make a difference so I assume the principle still applies here. The question I suppose is do they make much of a difference and is it noticeable on the road. That said I'd have thought that a good quality hybrid turbo would be stronger than a standard turbo so unless you're an absolute hooligan surely it would last longer. https://www.instagram.com/roxi_defender90/
Post #1023145 31st Jan 2024 8:07pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
It’ll run but will be overfueling as fuel delivery won’t match available airflow. You’ll be chucking out plenty of black smoke!Best replace like for like. Or standard turbo, and new map to suit. 180 on a hybrid isn’t much mind, hybrids generally push 200? 180 is easily obtainable on a standard turbo
Post #1023164 31st Jan 2024 10:42pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
Thanks for the input.

I trust this person as he has been in land rovers, series up to td5s and his was really hard worked with plant trailers and told me that the standard turbo was ok on his map and it ran around 25 psi.

My 110 is not as hard worked and when I drive i rarely over rev it - I drive cautiously and stick to moderate rpms. It does tow a 2+tonne tanker trailer but it is only a 3 mile trip on our rough winding roads which discourage over speeding with a 2 axle steerable trailer. It handles only 1 steep climb for about 2 minutes and I also do not need full rpm to tackle it laden on 2nd gear.

my reasoning was that over fuelling would occur higher up the rev range which i rarely reach so a standard one would be fine. I rarely go past 1 bar, it is usually driven at around 0.5 bar.

I would like to strip this one and check if i can rebuild (new bearings) but they may not be standard items and I lack time and patience at the moment. The local supplier of the turbo told me they do not offer cartridges or bearing kits, I can only get a new turbo.

thanks
Post #1023177 1st Feb 2024 6:07am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: turbos and remaps.
MalteseRover wrote:
Hello,

my 15p is remapped to 180hp. It has a hybrid turbo. If any of you remembers well it was throwing oil into the exhaust (it is leaking from the turbo-tailpipe mating faces/gasket).

Will it affect the performance of the remap if I go for a standard turbo? I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who ran a heavily remapped td5 with a standard turbo and he told me that it won't matter much. He also told me that hybrid turbos were known to cause some issues here in Malta.

Thank you.

Most hybrid turbos are only different in that they have a billet turbine and roller bearings, some have a slightly bigger housing, but not all. Why would there be a problem with these in Malta? Curious.

Personally, I have found the replacement hybrid up-rated CHRA cartridge I fitted to Miffy to be an excellent product and along with the Alive tuning etc. she has been incredibly reliable.

The only thing about reverting to a standard turbo is that you might find the tune you have over-fuels. Maybe. Depends on how much of a tune you have. Mind you, you can always go back to a standard tune if you wish.
Post #1023197 1st Feb 2024 12:05pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
I was actually wondering if it is worth the while to get a spare ECU with standard spec and see how it is in standard form. This friend of mine told me that it is a big different and becomes sluggish. I am actually happier plodding along with the 2.23 diesel so i do not mind being slow and overtaken. most current cars are super fast when compared to the remapped td5 anyway.

MalteseRover wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I trust this person as he has been in land rovers, series up to td5s and his was really hard worked with plant trailers and told me that the standard turbo was ok on his map and it ran around 25 psi.

My 110 is not as hard worked and when I drive i rarely over rev it - I drive cautiously and stick to moderate rpms. It does tow a 2+tonne tanker trailer but it is only a 3 mile trip on our rough winding roads which discourage over speeding with a 2 axle steerable trailer. It handles only 1 steep climb for about 2 minutes and I also do not need full rpm to tackle it laden on 2nd gear.

my reasoning was that over fuelling would occur higher up the rev range which i rarely reach so a standard one would be fine. I rarely go past 1 bar, it is usually driven at around 0.5 bar.

I would like to strip this one and check if i can rebuild (new bearings) but they may not be standard items and I lack time and patience at the moment. The local supplier of the turbo told me they do not offer cartridges or bearing kits, I can only get a new turbo.

thanks
Post #1024393 11th Feb 2024 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1