↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > BAMA 4x4 navigation events
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
2 night time events in 2023. The darkness adds a whole extra dimension to the challenge. The military guys driving green fleet vehicles had the most basic of halogen headlamps which can not have been easy.

Just to mention in order to enter a fully civilian team you need to join a civilian club that is affiliated.
The BAMA are brilliant in helping you through the paperwork first time out.

This year in adavance of one of the night events they ran a practice run for complete novices.

To note regarding vehicles you could do this in a brand new shiny truck with little or no scratching but being careful might put you at a speed disadvantage. The speed may be limited in theory but in order to make the checkpoints without penalties you do have to press on consistently. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #1020539 8th Jan 2024 3:40pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Jon w wrote:
I have competed in these events for the last couple of years and they are the best events in the UK, a real good mix of skills and terrain and great fun competitive nature.

Really well organised and run by the Army and Land rover clubs involved. Well worth the effort of trekking to the south coast or scotland from mine in north wales. Although there was rumour of there being a welsh event for 2024 so fingers crossed.

Saxon express is on bovington tank training ground and associated roads and lanes.
Roadmaster (is not just roads) this had sites including the defence driver training school)

Mudmaster is over 250 stage miles over 2 days across scotland.

Magnum spirit is salisbury plain in the dark. (only one i haven't done as it a long way to go for about 6hours of in the seat driving time)

A standard land rover is fine as squaddies are just in wolf 110s and they are doing it as a exercise so most the time cannot drive for toffee or navigate either Laughing
Driven sensibly you can do it in a shiny vehicle without damage, maybe the odd light scratch from foliage.

A freelander did very well at mudmaster this year which goes to show it is more about skill and navigation than mud plugging ability.

Definately recommend having a go

See you there

Fingers crossed there’s a Wales event 👍

Last edited by Screbble on 8th Jan 2024 7:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1020544 8th Jan 2024 4:04pm
MercianRover

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
Sounds like I need to enter in the 100" Bowler rather than my very tidy 110" TDi station wagon.
Post #1020564 8th Jan 2024 5:19pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
'Cant drive for toffee.....'

I blame the instructor... Whistle

Click image to enlarge

A couple more pictures from the archive

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020584 8th Jan 2024 8:33pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
That just serves to remind me how much I want a Pinzgauer. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #1020716 10th Jan 2024 2:55pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Don't we all

Fun fact. all the right hand drive British Army versions were built under license ten minutes drive from where i live and would regularly see the chassis cabs being test driven with two large bags of gravel tied to the rear as unloaded the wheels splayed inwards.

The lady test driver used to winch challenge a three door Land Cruiser and conducted my winch training via the club

My brother used to work at Dennis Special Vehicles building the Fire Engines and used to take the Pinzs in to coach build the rear body's as fire tenders.

I always remember the sticker on the dash telling the driver to run the vehicle for three minutes before moving off and three minutes before shutting it down.
Post #1020769 10th Jan 2024 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12