↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Halo headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
batfink82

Halo headlights
Hi, I have just fitted some halo headlights with DRL. They came with an Osram DRL loom, these seem to work except that the DRL ring is always live so unless I use the Osram switch the DRL lights stay on even ignition is off - not just for the 30 seconds. However, I think this can be fixed by wiring into the cigarette lighter.

The real issue I’m having is that when I click on to the side lights the headlight dipped comes on, then when clicked to dipped there doesn’t seem to be any change in the lighting. If I then try to click to main beam then nothing changes the blue dash light doesn’t illuminate nor does main beam work. If the main beam is flashed with the stalk then the blue dash light comes on and the headlights go brighter - as expected.

In terms of wiring I simply plugged in the new headlights to the existing 3pin plug. The DRL then has a red and black wire, I have connected red headlight to red DRL, the yellow wire from the headlight is then spliced into the indicator switch wire so that the halo ring lights up with the existing indicator. This leaves an unused black wireline coming from the DRL loom - I don’t think this spare black (earth) is likely to be causing an issue?

Has anyone com across this problem previously?

Many thanks!
Post #1019584 30th Dec 2023 12:25am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It would be helpful if you'd said what vehicle spec you have, it sounds as though you probably have one with dim-dip, in which case you'll need to disable this (the easiest way is simply to unplug the dim-dim resistor - there are many threads on this subject).

You may also want to consider that it is actually illegal to have two front indicators on each side, so wiring up halo LED headlights with the indicators is technically illegal.

It is not clear from what you have written why the main beam behaves oddly but I suggest disabling the dim-dip (if Indeed you have it) and disconnecting the halo and then seeing what happens.
Post #1019585 30th Dec 2023 1:11am
batfink82

Hi, thanks for the reply - I wasn’t aware of the rule on the indicators, that is an easy fix.

The defender is a 2004 TD5 90 - does this have the dim/dip?
Post #1019588 30th Dec 2023 1:21am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
My 2005 TD5 had dim dip, I removed the resistor and bracket, bit of fiddly job.
Post #1019601 30th Dec 2023 8:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1