↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear crossmember delaminating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lakes

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rear crossmember delaminating
My 2010 90 is just and so starting to delaminate on the rear CM. Is there anything I can do to slow/stop it?
Post #1019348 27th Dec 2023 10:34am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
The best you can do is clean out as much rust as possible the spray Lanogaurd into the joint and inside the crossmember. It creeps well into the joint and should waterproof the joint and stare any corrosion of oxygen. Reapply every couple of months and maybe fit some Gwyn Lewis mud sheilds.
Post #1019357 27th Dec 2023 12:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As above. Get the delaminated area as clean as you can. Then fill the cracks with something like Lanoguard or dintrol, let it dry then pressed black dumdum into and over the open end of the CM as stone protection. I did this exact thing on Miffy when I first bought her 12 years ago and kept applying before winter. Still has her CM attached and the delimitation has not progressed much in that time. The rusting out of the internal welds though is another story... Cannot win them all Rolling Eyes

Why oh why did LR not develop wheel arch shields like GL did. Would have solved so many of the rust issues.
Post #1019360 27th Dec 2023 1:38pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Re: Rear crossmember delaminating
lakes wrote:
My 2010 90 is just and so starting to delaminate on the rear CM. Is there anything I can do to slow/stop it?

If you refer to the outriggers, just behind the rear wheels, what I did is cleaned as much as possible with a very thin grinding disc on a dremel, treated with a rust converter, painted, and then re closed the gap. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1019368 27th Dec 2023 2:40pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
geobloke wrote:
As above. Get the delaminated area as clean as you can. Then fill the cracks with something like Lanoguard or dintrol, let it dry then pressed black dumdum into and over the open end of the CM as stone protection. I did this exact thing on Miffy when I first bought her 12 years ago and kept applying before winter. Still has her CM attached and the delimitation has not progressed much in that time. The rusting out of the internal welds though is another story... Cannot win them all Rolling Eyes

Why oh why did LR not develop wheel arch shields like GL did. Would have solved so many of the rust issues.

I tried to purchase a tin of black DumDum recently but was told it had been banned by the European Muppet Masters. Anybody know if you can still purchase it in the UK? Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #1019389 27th Dec 2023 7:40pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
.my 10 plate 110 suffered with this, was going to treat it then saw a small blemish on cm surface. Needle gun soon opened that up, it's always worse than you fear in my experience.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1019390 27th Dec 2023 7:56pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
discomog wrote:
geobloke wrote:

I tried to purchase a tin of black DumDum recently but was told it had been banned by the European Muppet Masters. Anybody know if you can still purchase it in the UK?

That is true, it has been removed from production. I got a similar black caulking in strips from Frost or another car restorer website. It works well and seems to be quite resistant to stones shown up by the tyres. I actually bought it to plug up the door waist windows where the seals leave a gap to prevent water running down the inside of the door and rotting it out.
Post #1019415 28th Dec 2023 11:13am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
jst wrote:
.my 10 plate 110 suffered with this, was going to treat it then saw a small blemish on cm surface. Needle gun soon opened that up, it's always worse than you fear in my experience.

Oh yes... agree there JST. Always worse than the small hole on the exterior of the CM.
Post #1019417 28th Dec 2023 11:15am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Too true.

It’s worrying really - so many areas you simply can’t see.

I’m trying not to think about it (for now)…
Post #1019497 29th Dec 2023 9:33am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ha had to laugh this morning. Forced to replace the rear NS indicator on Miffy due to someone not seeing her in a carpark over Christmas Shocked pulled the old unit out and it was utterly packed with mud Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Definitely worth popping your lights out occasionally to check behind them folks. Quite embarrassed at the amount hiding away back there.
Post #1020526 8th Jan 2024 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1