↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 110 CSW Td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chriswb84

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
110 CSW Td5
Hi Everyone, This is my Defender TD5 110 CSW when I first bought it in March 2023.

I somehow I managed to persuade the wife to sell the Disco Sport 2015 for something a bit more interesting. Naively thinking it had a few issues it quickly became apparent it has every known issue for this age and year of car.

So I thought it would be a good idea to write up everything I have done to-date as a record for myself and anyone that might be interested.

This is the Defender after driving it back from a top bloke in Matlock, totally original.

Click image to enlarge

I should have taken more pictures as I went along but I never photograph anything, ill do my best from now on!

First obvious issue was water passing through door seals, I don't have pictures but I thought the first job would be to sort all the leaks and treating rust as I find it going along.

New window seals and door seals fitted, and treated the rust on the bottom of the doors, but most are past their best so for now I stopped a lot of the water coming through into the footwells. Sprayed Lanoguard on the insides of the doors. Next year Ill either cut the bottoms out and replace as one of the passenger doors is probably a bit gone replace one at a time.

Suspension bushes we're all perished lumps of rubber and flagged up on the MOT, due to time limitations I paid a local garage to replace with Bearmarch poly-bush kit and replacement nuts/bolts, which made a huge difference to road handling.

Replaced windscreen bulkhead hinges as they were looking a bit rubbish and the paper gaskets had broken up, I bought rubber ones but I found they easily crushed and expanded then cracked so I have since removed them and used just sikaflex to fill the spaces inside the hinges and bed them onto the bulkhead.

Full service, replaced engine oil, gear, transfer box and final drive oils which I bought from LRT Lubricants nearby.

Replaced both the Apex window seals on the roof, which I found using a plastic bicycle tire remover made the job really easy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Replaced the windscreen seal(sorry no pictures), I found the string to flip it over the lip snapped (too thin!) so I again used a bicycle tire removal tool which worked really well to just run around the rubber and flick it over the frame. Took ages which is probably for the best and I didn't add any pressure to the glass, it eventually just popped into place.

Removed the rusted up fog lights from the front bumper, somehow they were wired in a bit odd and I havent resolved that yet. But anyway filled the mounting holes on the front bumper, and re-painted it. Used matt black rattle-can paint, shall see how long it lasts for!
Also using a paint removing hot gun refreshed the front grill, works really well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The intercooler is looking really sorry for itself, kinda noticable on one of the pics, probably leaking as oil was migrating to the outside corners so replaced it, although I'm going to go back at some point and replace the black rubber hoses with silicone as they have started to wear thin in places.

Click image to enlarge

Next job is to sort the oil on the ECU as it was having a few moments not starting and misfiring, so new injector harness and replace the leaking rocker cover gasket.

Click image to enlarge

Tidied up the door hinges and replaced all the fixings with stainless steel, although the front drivers and passengers the pins have worn so they are on the list to replace.

Click image to enlarge

Re sprayed the quarter panels and cleared out the muck behind them.

Click image to enlarge

I think this brings me to about June....

We then bought a 4 berth caravan to go away with the kids, first trip was to Bala lake.

Click image to enlarge

I noticed a few issues from this trip, one the handbrake was binding and second both prop shafts were throwing themselves around making the whole thing shake when over 50mph.

Replaced the prop shafts and took the handbrake apart to find out that the transfer box rear output pinion seal was leaking so replaced that also.

I bought the Gwlyn Lewis front mud guards and shields, and I have noticed the outriggers and footwells hardly get covered in standing water or mud etc now with those in place.

Next trip was to Cornwall, I spent a little time freeing up the waste gate before going as it was sticking but i lost the circlip because I have fat fingers!
Temporarily I cut a stainless washer so there was a tight fitting grove and it would hold the actuator arm, I had no time for the replacement to arrive. I did notice however it wasnt opening correctly so first thing when i got back was to put the correct circlips on.

I was amazed in Cornwall how many Defenders there are, I was waved in and out of that visit by other owners in the area.

During September, I replaced the foam gasket between the windscreen and bulkhead, I found a small rust hole underneath, you can see in these pics where its started to get through.

Click image to enlarge

Cleaned it up, treated the rust as best as i can and using sikaflex to fill the space and installed the replacement foam, I shall see if it lasts otherwise ill have to separate it again and decide what's best really to do.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And that's about as far as i have got so far really... Oh I have re-sprayed the sill trim too.

A few photo's as it has progressed, im really pleased with the outcome.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Job list as it currently goes although im sure its an evolving list.....
Replace 2nd Floor upstand.
Carpet and soundproof without creating future water traps.
Replace 2nd row seats with high back and replace seatbelt mountings etc.
Recover front seats and replace front seatbelts.
Replace middle front seat with Cubby box.
Replace front and rear calipers, pads and discs.
Replace front and rear suspension springs and dampers.
Replace crankshaft pulley damper(no massive torque wrench, so garage can sort during MOT)

And Finished haha!

Last edited by Chriswb84 on 30th Oct 2023 11:40am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #1012627 25th Oct 2023 7:43pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
You’re doing a grand job.

I appreciate that there has been lots to do but it’ll be sorted properly once you’ve finished ‘the list’ and you’ll know every inch of it inside and out, and you’ll know things are done right 👍

I hope you all enjoyed Bala 👌
Post #1012635 25th Oct 2023 8:24pm
Chriswb84

Yeah cheers, its my first post and just wanted to start somewhere really on here. I will keep adding as I go along.

Bala is good, although it was busy when we went and I didn't take anything to use on the Lake although it was just for the night and a bit of a shake down.
Post #1012650 25th Oct 2023 9:40pm
Screbble

All good stuff 👍

This is a great forum for sharing and learning.

Forgot to say earlier - nice Defender!
Post #1012651 25th Oct 2023 9:42pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Looks Good👍🏻

What does your wife think, now you’ve got it? 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #1012676 26th Oct 2023 7:16am
Chriswb84

She loves driving it, usually try's to grab the keys if were going anywhere in it before I get chance. Although not as mechanically sympathetic so I tend to just listen for the next area to sort.

The Defender is semi retired, as we both work from home and have another car so its not used daily.
Post #1012683 26th Oct 2023 9:04am
Screbble

Quite a lot of Defenders are semi-retired and did so at a very young age 👍

I must be doing something (a lot) wrong!
Post #1012693 26th Oct 2023 10:37am
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi, that’s looking good, you have made great progress with your Defender, Bala is lovely but does get very busy in the summer, we visit regularly staying at my sisters about a mile or so from Llanuwchllyn it’s a beautiful part of the country and love the low flying Jets coming down through the valley, keep up the great work Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1012723 26th Oct 2023 2:56pm
L110CDL

England 
Welcome with a nice 110 and it's getting better every time you sort out the next job Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1012776 26th Oct 2023 8:29pm
Chriswb84

Thanks for the kind messages folks Very Happy , I ordered the replacement YRM 2nd row seat upstand today so just waiting for that to arrive and ill paint it up. Hopefully ill get a break in weather and work so I can replace with new. Ill post a few pictures up but its nothing new here really.
Post #1013176 30th Oct 2023 11:11am
Chriswb84

Bit of an update, I did some more work on the Defender. Replaced the 2nd row upstand which had some big holes in the back from the corrosion. Thankfully the cross member was in really good condition, and I wonder if it's been replaced at some point.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Replacement YRM painted and fitted...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then found a post on here of someone fitting VW Touran seats,
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75593.html

I found a set for £150 on eBay including the mounting bracket. Drove to Manchester to collect and installed them this week.
Not sure if it's worth much of a write up but I took apart the old seat bench, welded up extensions on the end as they curved up then welded and bolted the base. The front hooks on the seats I used M8 U bolts that I bolted to the seat frame. I also removed the integrated seat buckles on the Touran seats and used the original land rover seat belts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

They still retain their ability to fold and be revived and I can once removed two nurses and bolts for the seat frame down and out the way. I just need some black leather seat covers so they will match the front seats when I recover them.
Post #1015603 19th Nov 2023 10:07am
Screbble

You’ve done a smashing job there 👍
I wasn’t even aware this was a possible upgrade.
Looks like they were made for a Defender. Thumbs Up
Post #1015606 19th Nov 2023 10:21am
Chriswb84

Those seats are great, they fold flat and the middle one can be used as a little table when it's folder down. They hinge forward and easily unclip so can be taken out and because I used the original frame that can be folder up too. The frame is substantial steel tube so it was easy to weld without blowing holes through it but I'm out of practice so I spent a bit of time grinding them all back, checking joint penetration and tidying it up.

I will probably take it out, maybe shorten the front supports so it's about 300mm lower as they are quite high up which reduces head height, also re paint the frame but for now as I want to get round and finish the majority of jobs I can go back round and smarten it all up.

I'm planning on taking the caravan to France next year so want the bulk of the jobs list whittled down.

Next is removing and painting all the brackets under the rear wheel arches and just isolating the steel from the alu plus install the Glen Lewis rear arch shields. Try to keep the majority of crud from that new upstand panel.
Post #1015625 19th Nov 2023 12:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Super job Thumbs Up Love a coniston green Defender. Good job on the second row seat box and bulkhead Thumbs Up
Post #1015627 19th Nov 2023 12:39pm
Chriswb84

So I thought I added this already but must have missed it off somehow. Anyway the caravan is stored round the corner from our house. Unfortunately the battery no longer holds charge, and got red hot the last time we used the van so had to remove it ready to be replaced.

The battery is rather heavy and its a bit of a walk to the caravan, so had to sub contract the job. Anyway a few pictures, with the defender playing its part in the collection and delivery.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1018247 13th Dec 2023 1:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>