Home > General & Technical (L663) > Cooper AT3 4S / XLT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GTD15

United States 
Cooper AT3 4S / XLT
Hi all,

I have a 110 on the way. Delivery expected in January. I'm already looking at tire options. After combing the forums (as you know, tons of threads on tires) and Google, I'm leaning toward Cooper AT3 4S or XLT (275/55/20), but hoping to get more guidance from the community on these specific tires. I have a lot to learn!
I've seen mostly positive reviews from the community regarding Cooper AT3 4S (a good combo AT for road and non-serious off road), but not much on XLT. Does anyone have experience with XLT? Any reason to stay away from XLT? I'm mostly a road driver with occasional off road, so seems like 4S makes the most sense, but I love the more aggressive look of the XLT. If the reviews are right that the XLT tires are relatively quiet and a comfortable ride, why not go with the more aggressive XLT?

There is at least one thread discussing 4S with spacers and / or offsets. I would like to simply swap out the OEM Perilli tires with the 4S or XLT tires, which would be 275/55/20. Are spacers / offsets really necessary? Any downside (aesthetically or operationally) not using spacers / offsets? I'm struggling in this area.

Should I expect any rubbing with 4S or XLT? I've seen one thread discussing 4S with +20 offset, which resulted in some rubbing only at access height. I'm thinking the rubbing is due to the offset. Could that be? If so, depending on answers to no. 2 above, I could maybe avoid rubbing by avoiding offsets. I'm I thinking about this right?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate the guidance and patience.
Post #1011848 19th Oct 2023 6:54pm
DFNDER

Australia 
I've had good experience with Coopers in the past. Don't know about the new AT3's. Remember, the chunkier the tyre tread, the more noise and higher fuel consumption.

I'd be checking the wear and temp ratings, and ply ratings of the sidewall, especially if doing rocky tracks. Either brand may be LT rated or not. Stiffer sidewalls increase ride harshness

Depending on where in the world you live, offsets may be non allowable, in terms of voiding your insurance in the event of an accident.
Post #1011873 20th Oct 2023 12:34am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Ran AT3 for 40k on a different vehicle. On road, any noise difference was imperceptible to me, grip was fine but I don’t drive fast! Off road, OK. Not as good as a BFG or the wranglers I currently have on, so wouldn’t recommend them for mud plugging etc, but perfectly fine fire fire roads and gravel etc.
Post #1011874 20th Oct 2023 5:50am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I'm running AT3 4S on my original Defender 90 and have been pleased with them so far. Mine are 275/55/18. They do tend to 'float' slightly on standing water (not great aquaplaning resistance), but part of that is likely due to the wide width on a relatively light vehicle (usually unladen with driver only).

I previously ran BFG AT in 265 width (old style BFG AT) and they were terrible in the wet, especially with standing water. For me, I prefer the look of wider tyres, but it is aesthetic vanity. A narrower tyre would perform better for my usage and would likely improve the standing water issue (narrower tyre would probably cut through standing water more easily).

The main reason people run spacers is aesthetics (prefer the look of a wider stance that fills the arches more effectively). I run +30mm spacers on my old Defender, which is quite common. I am not a new L663 Defender expert (have no experience with the vehicle) but it is worth keeping in mind that Land Rover set the vehicle up from factory in a particular way for a reason. I would be inclined to stick with the standard set up on a more modern / technically complex vehicle. If you are sticking with the same tyre size as factory, you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing. The vehicle is designed to work with that size tyre.

It sounds as though the example you cited of someone experiencing rubbing AFTER fitting spacers basically proves the point above. Land Rover designed it to work with the suspension / axle geometry it has from factory. If you start changing things through the addition of spacers, then it wouldn't surprise me that issues can arise (such as rubbing on full articulation / steering lock). On old Defenders it isn't an issue because there is so much 'free space' in the wheel arches. However on the new Defender I would expect that the tolerances are quite a lot smaller e.g. the wheels are designed to fit inside the bodywork quite precisely. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #1011889 20th Oct 2023 10:08am
GTD15

United States 
Thanks for the helpful responses!

Based on the responses so far, is it best to stick with the factory tire size (255/60/20) instead of going to 275/55/20, even if everything else is left at factory specs (e.g., no offset, no spacer)? I could put on the Wrangler Adventure or DuraTrac in the OEM size (both LR approved), but the reviews are not great and they don't handle as well in the snow.
Post #1011935 20th Oct 2023 6:20pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I’ve got the Duratrac on now and they are so far, so good. On road absolutely no issues in the wet, and confidence in the snow. Probably not as good as KO2s off road, but maybe 90% of the way there. Only had them on for 7,000 miles so too soon to say about life span.
Post #1011937 20th Oct 2023 6:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1