↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > I have a few questions regarding the L663 from Ukraine.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AGamingPlus

Ukraine 
I have a few questions regarding the L663 from Ukraine.
I apologize in advance for my not-so-good English, but I will try to explain my concerns.

1. Does anyone with a 2020 D240 model experience this issue? When starting the car in the morning or if it has been stationary for a long time, there are clicking sounds coming from beneath the vehicle. It sounds as if some relay is toggling back and forth. This lasts for about 15 - 20 seconds, then the sound disappears. And if the car hasn't been stationary for a long time, the sound doesn't return. The official service centers here just throw up their hands and can't give any information on this matter.

2. When coming to a complete stop with the steering wheel fully turned to the right, and you start to move on light throttle, there are clicking sounds, as if a wheel (with a central and active rear differential) is getting jammed. Then it releases, and you can feel minor jerks. If you accelerate a bit harder, the issue doesn't manifest. This is especially noticeable when the car is moving slowly on a spiral road into a parking lot.
Post #1008714 24th Sep 2023 7:28pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
I had your second issue, the transmission noise on full lock, on my V8 90. Dealership changed transfer box oil and did a software update in accordance with LR service bulletin. They couldn’t then replicate the noise so handed it back to me for longer term testing. The noise on full lock has gone but I do notice the occasional noise at slow straight ahead speeds when there is slight on/off power applied. So the issue is 95% fixed I guess but remains to be seen what happens over time.
Post #1008744 24th Sep 2023 10:31pm
AGamingPlus

Ukraine 
Today, I visited another service center. Regarding issue 1, it turns out this is how AdBlue operates. As for the second issue, they changed the oil in the transfer cases, and the problem went away. The only thing is that they don't do it under warranty here.
Post #1008829 25th Sep 2023 5:23pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Welcome to the forum! l am glad you managed to get your vehicle sorted.

I hope things are safe for you in Kyiv Ukraine with the ongoing conflict.
Post #1008903 26th Sep 2023 7:52am
AGamingPlus

Ukraine 
Hello, thank you. As for Kyiv, we've gotten used to a lot here. From sitting without power for 3-4 days during winter to missile attacks Smile
Post #1009130 27th Sep 2023 3:20pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Hard to imagine what it must be like sat in your home listening to missiles landing in your neighbourhood.
l assume you have secure parking for your Land Rover.

Stay safe. Hopefully it will be over before too long.
Post #1009205 27th Sep 2023 10:52pm
AGamingPlus

Ukraine 
Yes, it's parked in a secured parking lot near the house. But due to the war, there isn't much crime right now. We've become so accustomed to the missiles that I often step out onto the balcony to watch them get intercepted. Sometimes they're close, sometimes far away. Over time, the sense of fear dulls. You start to feel indifferent - if it's your fate to die, there's no escaping it. Though the most terrifying moment was when Kyiv was targeted by 'Kinzhal' missiles. They were intercepted by the Patriot system, and many were shot down right above our house. Fragments of some missiles landed about 400 meters from us. The entire sky was red with explosions and glow.
Post #1009207 27th Sep 2023 10:59pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Bonkers to think we are on a forum discussing this. Confused

My thoughts are with you and those fighting for your freedom.

Glory to Ukraine. 🇺🇦 Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1009208 27th Sep 2023 11:07pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
To answer your first question l too get this clicking when l first start up the Defender. l think it's normal.
Post #1009820 2nd Oct 2023 9:00pm
AGamingPlus

Ukraine 
lightning wrote:
Welcome to the forum! l am glad you managed to get your vehicle sorted.

I hope things are safe for you in Kyiv Ukraine with the ongoing conflict.

One more question. After replacing the front air springs, the car still drops slightly overnight, about 1 cm. Before the replacement, the front would drop all the way down. I was told that this is normal for the Defender. But it shouldn't drop more than 1 cm. Also, today after changing the transmission oil, I noticed that if I raise the car to off-road mode, first putting the gearbox in neutral and engaging the parking brake, and then once the car has raised, switch to drive, there's a strong jolt to the vehicle. Sometimes it's loud, sometimes it's not. Is this normal?
Post #1009840 2nd Oct 2023 10:19pm
DFNDER

Australia 
The jolt is the suspension releasing the last bit of tension that the park brake puts in. A good tip is to lower the car to access height as you roll into your parking bay, then apply the park brake at the very end. Same when you drive off, raise the car in neutral or in drive, with the park brake off. This removes all stress from the suspension and improves the life of your control arm bushes, shocks and EAS bags.

The EAS should not drop at all, if it does, you have a leak in the system somewhere, either at the strut, or one of the distribution blocks. Test with soapy water in a spray bottle, if you see bubbles you know where the leak is.

Stay safe in Ukraine
Post #1009986 4th Oct 2023 9:52am
AGamingPlus

Ukraine 
Thank you for your response and your advice. I appreciate it!
Post #1010079 4th Oct 2023 9:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1