↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 800 is possible
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
800 is possible
As you may know I bought a transit custom a couple of years back.
And, we'll I like to see how economical things are

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up Mr. Green

didn't really think things through. I've got to get to the petrol station which is more than 1 mile away Confused
Post #1007742 15th Sep 2023 6:41pm
L110CDL

England 
Good figures there Caterham Thumbs Up

Just get someone to go to the fuel station and bring back a full can of fuel for you Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1008108 18th Sep 2023 9:49pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
It's been 4 days since that first post. Did he make it to the petrol station or is he still waiting at the side of the road? Twisted Evil
Post #1008121 19th Sep 2023 7:43am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Depends if the petrol station is uphill or downhill from him Laughing

Was there something on Top Gear on how far 3 cars can go after they reach 0 miles range? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1008122 19th Sep 2023 8:09am
Caterham

just back from the petrol station Rolling with laughter

the petrol station was indeed UPhill and about 2 miles away - still made it Smile
I did consider driving there with a jerry can bit figured I might get away with it.
to be honest a little too close for comfort.

As much as I look forward to having a good excuse to use the 110 it has to be said the transit is just so practical and remarkably easy to driver chewing up the miles effortlessly.
I'm already looking forward to getting one of the new models with 8 speed auto just as soon as I can place an order - basically the same spec again ie sport, 5 seat etc. Thumbs Up
just I've got another Camino across Spain to organise before then.

hope you're all keeping well Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #1008197 19th Sep 2023 7:47pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
It's impressive how far vehicles have come in terms of efficiency to be honest. I just chopped in my Discovery 5 for a '21 Golf GTD (why have 2 tools that do the same job after all).

I took the golf from Lincolnshire to Devon and back on a single tank and still 27% of a tank left according to the app. Average MPG for the weekend was 73mpg - in Eco mode. That said, in Sport Mode I still get 52mpg(ish) and comfort mode sits somewhere in the middle...
Post #1008232 20th Sep 2023 8:29am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
It's impressive how far DIESEL engines have come, and now we are chopping them out of the mix.

Petrol efficiency got stuck somewhere in the 90s. On one end the cars got bigger (USA) with the fuel efficiency suffering on the other (Europe) they got smaller with city cars. But still even an economical thus small, pretty limited 3cyl petrol car barely makes 50-60MPG in ideal conditions. For those small city applications, electrical is the logical replacement.

Larger cars, can easily do 60-70 mpg with a modern diesel, which is even clean(ish) - this is why they were heavily promoted when CO2 emissions where important. But all cities are now banning Diesel in any form and prefer less efficient petrol cars. Now emissions are important and efficiency not so much. - I mean make up your mind already!

Electric to me seems a good solution for smaller cars, but no so much for bigger cars and goods vehicles.

I rented a van the other day and I was surprised how spartan it was, but then of course a van is primarily a cost proposition. How cheap can we make a van that can still do the job. Imagine everyone needing to buy an Electric Transit Van, it would change the entire transport cost picture.
Post #1008240 20th Sep 2023 9:14am
Caterham

the_lincs_landies wrote:
It's impressive how far vehicles have come in terms of efficiency to be honest. I just chopped in my Discovery 5 for a '21 Golf GTD (why have 2 tools that do the same job after all).

I took the golf from Lincolnshire to Devon and back on a single tank and still 27% of a tank left according to the app. Average MPG for the weekend was 73mpg - in Eco mode. That said, in Sport Mode I still get 52mpg(ish) and comfort mode sits somewhere in the middle...

73! thats the business. Thumbs Up Mr. Green

electric transit (sport)..... I'm toying with one of those but suspect I'll hold out and wait for the diesel one. ie the new version of what I have now - but with the new 8 speed auto Thumbs Up
the 700-800 mile range just makes more sense to me / for me than 200 miles for the electric.
Post #1008567 23rd Sep 2023 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1