↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > EV charging remotely halted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
EV charging remotely halted
I thought this was an interesting article. EV home chargers being remotely told to stop charging to help the grid out. The article does point out that there was no negative impact on the people trying to charge their vehicles, the drivers pre-setting when the car was needed to be charged by. I don't own an EV so can't say how practical that is to do. What if you need to make an ad-hoc journey, I don't pre-plan most of my journeys. I assume this will become common practise as the demand for EV charging increases.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest-fl...tid=225029 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1006681 6th Sep 2023 2:18pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Quite common, but typically when starting a charge. It will delay for up to 10mins but you can override and force the charger to start.
Post #1006686 6th Sep 2023 2:35pm
LR Nuts

when did you last go to a fuel filling station and have to wait for an hour before you could fill up the tank.

All this EV is a CON. I will never have an EV ........EVer !!
Post #1006696 6th Sep 2023 3:44pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Bearing in mind that before the end I was running around like a blue arse fly for my parents a few years back.

Sitting and waiting to ‘charge the car’ would never have been an option.

Lord help us all when EV ambulances are a thing.
Post #1006722 6th Sep 2023 6:03pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I have had an EV for 3 years now. A company car but if it was my own I would have moved it on. I shall not be getting another when this lease is up.

Expensive to buy and with the current cost of electricity they are expensive to run too.

Admittedly, mine is a big 4x4 so heavy on the consumption but even so, if I have to use public fast chargers the Defender is cheaper to run. And you don't have the lottery of chargers being available, working or charging at their advertised capacity.

Tesla owners do fare better but for the rest , the UK charging infrastructure needs a lot of work.
Post #1006725 6th Sep 2023 6:43pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
Presumably they can also help the grid, sign up to a scheme where you can put power back into the grid when it needs it, for a fee obviously.
Post #1006746 6th Sep 2023 8:46pm
LR Nuts

I have heard of half baked ideas, of using the surplus battery energy stored in your vehicle to be 'piped' to your home.
And another farcical, is where you take the heating system in your vehicle and plumb it back into your home.
Post #1006750 6th Sep 2023 8:50pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
There are so many small trips I could do in a small EV like a Volkswagen UP!, charged at home from a normal wall socket. Problem is, we have a dirt cheap Peugeot 108 for that. Uses no fuel cost nothing will last another 10 years if not more. Add it all up and changing to an EV is not really making any sense.
Post #1006758 6th Sep 2023 9:11pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I haven't topped up the small petrol tank since April which is circa 3500miles ago. Tank just under half full. Charge at 7.5p but also get paid for electric generation. So ....I dont know how to square that one.

The article implies a saving of 100Kw over 1hr from 112 drivers. That's not a lot.

Note also the following

Quote:
EV drivers signed up to Ev.energy can earn up to £30 in cash vouchers per year by enabling smart charging and participating in grid services.

EV as a company car is a no brainer. BIK?
Post #1006807 7th Sep 2023 2:37pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Jabberwocky wrote:
Presumably they can also help the grid, sign up to a scheme where you can put power back into the grid when it needs it, for a fee obviously.

It seems that the grid is lacking both ways.

We are looking at a solar installation and have been told that the grid will need to ok any system over 4KW to check they have capacity for us to give them electricity !

TC
Post #1006812 7th Sep 2023 5:00pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
When you look at most people's actual habits, they tend to charge with 100 miles left in the tank or more, so waiting to charge till 3 or 4 am when grid demand is at it's lowest shouldn't be an issue for most people, most of the time. And if you do need to prioritise your charging then hey, you keep that option.

Even those running around like a blue arse fly must have slept for a few hours a night....
Post #1006813 7th Sep 2023 5:02pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I agree with the majority of what's been said above, we have a Toyota CHR self charging hybrid which is quick, economical and easy to drive but boring compared to the 110.

However a comment above about plumbing you cars heater into the house does have merit - there are domestic hot water tanks across here that have an integrated air source heat pump that can either take its energy from outside or inside certain rooms or a garage, so when you park your car in the garage it uses the heat from the car to warm your hot water tank, that has to be a win!

Keith
Post #1006836 7th Sep 2023 9:11pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
miker wrote:
... waiting to charge till 3 or 4 am when grid demand is at it's lowest ....

Demand won't be low at that time once everyone is trying to charge their EV though.
Post #1006852 7th Sep 2023 10:50pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Sure it'll change, but there's regularly a 15GW difference between daytime and night time demand (35GW down to 20ish), and that 15GW is 2 million electric cars charging at 7kW (the normal speed for a domestic charger.
Load balancing is going to be a significant part of grid stability in the future as we move away from fossil fuels and use electricity for more
Post #1006880 8th Sep 2023 8:33am
RDR

United Kingdom 
isn't this just like Octopus Intelligent?

I use it to charge the Range Rover and the Cupra Born it works fine, you plug it in and let the grid decide when best to charge BUT you can override and "Bump Charge" you also set it to make sure you have a desired charge by a certain time of the day eg 100% by 6AM every morning regardless of the Grid. You then let the Grid manage the charging and if it identifies an opportunity to charge outside your off peak hours it will do it with the advantage of the whole house then getting cheap rate at the same time.

I wake up every morning knowing both cars are at the desired charge ready to go but they have been charged in a way that best suits the grid or green energy availability. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1006883 8th Sep 2023 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>