↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Armoured Cable Advice - routing underground?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
AmL wrote:
You could use a diamond saw to cut a 20-25mm slot in the tarmac, put the SWA cable in and fill with bitumen. Make it look like an intentional expansion joint. You wouldn’t get anywhere near the ‘code’ depth but at least you’ll know where it is if you need to excavate drive in future.

That’s terrible advice, and I’m sure the next person who digs up the drive unaware will thank you when they damage the cable Rolling Eyes

Either use a mole as suggested, or just trench it. Hire a digger and a whacker plate and you’ll have it done in a day - a weekend max. That way it can be at the correct depth, you can use a purpose-built conduit, and you can put the proper warning tape in.
Post #1002158 29th Jul 2023 1:57pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
There are flexible steel rods , approx 5 mm in diameter that can have various size drill heads attached and can be run from a reasonably powerful cordless drill to go under drives. The rods can go approx 20ft with good accuracy. They were developed for telecommunication companies so they can feed fibre or copper cables under people’s driveways.
I know they exist and seen videos of their use, but can’t find them on line at present.

As said above, with power cables you do need to go the correct depth and use the appropriate armour cable else you are putting people at risk.
Post #1002159 29th Jul 2023 1:58pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Ianh wrote:
There are flexible steel rods , approx 5 mm in diameter that can have various size drill heads attached and can be run from a reasonably powerful cordless drill to go under drives. The rods can go approx 20ft with good accuracy. They were developed for telecommunication companies so they can feed fibre or copper cables under people’s driveways.
I know they exist and seen videos of their use, but can’t find them on line at present.

As said above, with power cables you do need to go the correct depth and use the appropriate armour cable else you are putting people at risk.

Ian, I've seen these videos too but am struggling to find the auger extensions - although I've only done a quick search and not gone in depth.
Post #1002168 29th Jul 2023 3:28pm
AmL

Retroanaconda wrote:
AmL wrote:
You could use a diamond saw to cut a 20-25mm slot in the tarmac, put the SWA cable in and fill with bitumen. Make it look like an intentional expansion joint. You wouldn’t get anywhere near the ‘code’ depth but at least you’ll know where it is if you need to excavate drive in future.

That’s terrible advice, and I’m sure the next person who digs up the drive unaware will thank you when they damage the cable Rolling Eyes

Either use a mole as suggested, or just trench it. Hire a digger and a whacker plate and you’ll have it done in a day - a weekend max. That way it can be at the correct depth, you can use a purpose-built conduit, and you can put the proper warning tape in.

I agree, it's not good advice but it's not my place to give advice, I'm mealy providing an option that answers the question - how can I get a cable across without digging a trench. The mole doesn't answer the question because you need to dig a pit at each end of the bore, and in this case, one of those will be in the middle of the drive, next to the box he wants to get to. A digger and whacker plate will definitely do the job but it'll leave a big scar across the drive, which he's trying to avoid. Remember, most electric cables, gas and water pipes in a house will be less than 1" from the wall surface, they're at much greater risk than an SWA cable 8"-12" below a driveway. If you want advice, go to an experienced electrician but he'll likely only tell you what the code says.
Post #1002179 29th Jul 2023 4:52pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Believe it, or believe it not, there is actually no minimum depth for an electrical cable buried underground.There are loads of anomalies like this in the IET Wiring Regulations where you think there should be a fixed value, but it is left to the discretion of the installer to install the cable so it will not be damaged and cause harm to persons.

There are the NJUG regulations (National Joint Utilities Group) who publish guidelines. In roads and paths, utilities should be at designated depths. Well that's the idea. The reality is a lot different.

By using steel wire armoured cable, there is a certain amount of mitigation. If a shovel goes through the cable, if installed correctly, the armouring should be connected to earth and if the circuit is designed correctly, it should cause the automatic and safe disconnection of the supply.

SWA cable should be laid in sand or sifted soil (if it is not being placed within a duct or conduit) and in both cases, a warning tape placed half way between the cable and the surface.

Now in reality, if you are putting a cable below the ground in your garden, you won't be doing much of the above Rolling with laughter

It's worth remembering that if you are supplying a building outside (in the electrical industry this is known as being outside the equipotential zone) in your garden, and your house has a TN-C-S or PME supply (this is the most common type of electricity supply in this country), you should be isolating the buildings earth before it enters your outside building, providing an earth electrode as an earth reference and a 30mA double pole RCD at the incomer, or you need to extend the equipotential bonded zone by installing a bonding conductor of equal size to that in your house (normally 16mm2 Copper) to your new building from your main earth terminal. Yes, even a shed! Now I realise that everyone is now going to say 'I didn't do that and my shed works just fine'. Yes I agree, I'm just advising what you should be doing Thumbs Up Don't shoot the messenger.

The one thing you must do is make sure the supply is protected by a 30mA RCD (trip switch) if the cabe is going underground and you are supplying a building outside.

As for getting under the ground, there are so many variables, but all of the above seem plausible. It just depends on what access you have if you are thinking of pushing a pipe under. Wouldn't it just fill up with muck and become difficult to clear out?

You could do what Virgin Media seem to do with their fibre optic cables. Scrape about two inches of soil in your flower bed and cover the cable up. Then get really upset when the customer sticks a spade through their cable. Seen it done dozens of times Laughing
Post #1002203 29th Jul 2023 8:11pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As I said in my post above, if using the pipe technique you need to close the leading end of the pipe while driving it through to stop the pipe filling with crud.
Post #1002223 29th Jul 2023 10:47pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
^^as Rashers says!… I’ve rotavated virgin cable laid under new turf, think you’ve got a long snake at your heels!.. we’ve encountered gas pipes moled in 100 mm from the surface, water pipes that snake around properties rather than running straight to the house, I wouldn’t be worrying about an armoured cable properly connected, running in a straight line..
I’d hire one on the larger bladed stone saws, cut a 100 mm wide trench in the tarmac,clear a trench, lay cable , sand, tape, stone and then some bags of patchmac to finish the job. Leave the tape just under the surface at the far end so that anyone with any nouse will see what’s there in the future.
Job done
Cheers
Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #1002443 31st Jul 2023 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12