↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 110 CSW Td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Awesome Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1018304 13th Dec 2023 9:12pm
Chriswb84

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Had a busy January, went to visit my parents in Anglesey, stayed with the caravan. On the way home down the M56 battery light appeared followed by smoke from under the bonnet. Pulled over and one of the belt pulleys had disintegrated and the aux belt had wrapped itself around the crank damper. So got the big yellow taxi home!

The Aux belt and pulleys all looked ok when I checked them late last year, but I have no record of them ever being replaced so it was on my to do list except it was jumped to the front of the queue.

First time I put the belt and pulleys back on I hadn't realise the crank damper was damaged and as soon as I fired it up started with the marble sound, so strip it all back down again. I did paint up all the inner wings the second time around but I must have forgotten to photograph it all. Anyway it was a Weetabix day taking that bolt off and putting it back on again.

It also gave me the opportunity to replace the leaking thermostat housing and silicon pipe.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1026141 27th Feb 2024 2:19pm
Chriswb84

February job list involved replacing front discs, pads and rebuilding the front calipers. Just as some context I don't do any of this for a living so I just go off what I picked up, read or my dad teaching me when we built an MK kit car and various other automotive work in the past. With that in mind I do make some mistakes which some might wonder why or how!

Okay so jacked up the front of the car, went to remove the first caliper bolt and it rounded, it was so rusted up it had no shape, I think the 12 point bolts don't last very long with corrosion from what I can see. Tried the other and it did the same, so I was a bit stuck then. I should have gone and bought a stud remover but I didn't. Ended up cutting the caliper in half with a disc cutter so I could drill out the studs in the steering housing. This failed miserably so took the steering housing off, bought a new one and a new caliper. Whilst I was there I took off the swivel ball and replaced all the gaskets and seals, bearings etc. The brake line was badly corroded and paper thin so it just twisted off as I removed the union from the flex hose. I bought a brake flare kit and made a new line up on the drivers side.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Bit more wise now on what to expect, so on the passenger side, I removed the caliper flex hose, removed the hub locking nut and the housing swivel seal and pulled the whole unit off in one go. I could then try to get the caliper off without rounding the nuts, but they rounded anyway. So cheap set of stud removers from Toolstation and I had the caliper off the housing. Now just to rebuild the caliper and steering housing etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Swivel ball was corroded so had to replace that but, all back on the road and up and running with much better braking than before I started, so not a complete waste of time.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1026151 27th Feb 2024 3:27pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for the detailed update, 10/10 for the work carried out and i have been there like you with " learning by your mistakes " you do get a wealth of knowledge when maintaining these vehicles which does help you in the future Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1026412 29th Feb 2024 9:57pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Cracking job that! Love to see a kitchen table loaded up with oily rags and Defender parts! Laughing
Post #1026436 1st Mar 2024 7:41am
Chriswb84

It was half term, wife was in work so had no idea. She did question why there were little black spots of paint on the surface. I just said we spend the afternoon crafting. Laughing
Post #1026456 1st Mar 2024 11:35am
L110CDL

England 
Laughing Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1026519 1st Mar 2024 9:28pm
Chriswb84

Starter Motor
Hello folks, I haven't posted much. Failed my MOT in March due to steering ball joint but sorted that and it's not noteworthy.

More recently I rebuilt the starter solenoid using the rebuild kit which was easy enough apart from getting it out of the bell housing.

Also fitted Glywn Lewis rear mud flaps shields on the arches.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1036240 1st Jun 2024 1:42pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
great stuff, my dad has a caravan too, due to the weight of it, it was one of the reasons they switched to the Jeep and then later the defender. the peugeot 406 Turbo diesel they had could just say tow it! My mam has hinted on taking mine away, if their Defender is not ready. I am like don't be daft! they already running about in my peugeot 306, for the last 6 months. ( that my dad said it should be scrapped, when the fuel pump went on it) Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1036272 2nd Jun 2024 2:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12