Home > Off Topic > "Clean Air Zone"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
"Clean Air Zone"
Hello from Aussie.
I noticed in a recent post by Poulstonb, that He mentioned that He lived close to a "Clean Air Zone".
There's plenty of talk about "Emissions" at the moment, & I guess we all have our own views, pros & cons etc, so I've probably got a bit of an idea of what a "clean air zone" might be. But not specifically, so I was wondering what is included, what are the rules etc, what cars are allowed/ not allowed etc?
I would've posted in Poulstonb's "XS" thread, but didn't want to be pinged for "off topic", hence this thread.
Pickles.
Post #956951 1st Jul 2022 12:13am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Post #956954 1st Jul 2022 2:45am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I live near Manchester and their clean air zone is huge. It is currently "Under review" due to people kicking off at overpaid ars*wipes deciding we should pay £9 per day that you dare to drive within that area.

I am only about 300m from the zone and this has really pi**ed me of. I am sick of politicians deciding they can dictate how I live.
Post #956959 1st Jul 2022 7:07am
Poulstonb

United Kingdom 
The clean air zone is being introduced in various cities around the UK . Certain high polluting vehicles have to pay to enter these zones .
I myself live in Manchester which has looked to introduce one of these zone but are now reviewing it . Fingers crossed it dosent happen as I also drive a transit van .
Post #956998 1st Jul 2022 6:52pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I don’t think (hope) the Manc one is going to happen. They have now forecast that air quality will improve of its own accord to within legal limits as people generally buy cleaner and cleaner vehicles. Why they couldn’t work that out before spending millions on the signs and cameras will no doubt remain a mystery. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #957000 1st Jul 2022 7:18pm
Pickles

Yes, there's a bit on the web about this stuff, but it's a bit vague & it's hard to find what the charges would be.
Would I be correct in saying that it's only a "Class D" zone that would affect private cars, so on this basis & you are affected, what would be the charge for entering such a zone every day?
Pickles.
Post #957027 1st Jul 2022 11:51pm
Mossberg

I think with my 300tdi it was going to be £9 per day. That wasn't going to be at the introduction of the charging but 12 months later as it was a private car.
Post #957030 2nd Jul 2022 6:36am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Pickles wrote:
Yes, there's a bit on the web about this stuff, but it's a bit vague & it's hard to find what the charges would be.
Would I be correct in saying that it's only a "Class D" zone that would affect private cars, so on this basis & you are affected, what would be the charge for entering such a zone every day?
Pickles.

One of the issues we have is that many Defenders (luckily not mine) are registered as commercials, even some of the late Puma Station Wagons, so are affected more widely. It is nigh on impossible to get the categorisation changed once the vehicle has been registered.

Ironically, the reason late Pumas were registered as commercial was to avoid the very high road tax that the passenger versions were attracting. Mine for example is well over £600 per year presently. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #957033 2nd Jul 2022 7:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think you will find that the reason late Defenders became N1 was to enable production to continue without having to be re-engineered to have airbags and all the other stuff that became mandatory for M1 vehicles. The tax was a consequence not a cause.

The fact the Defenders are taxed as LGVs does not make them goods vehicles, they are legally Dual Purpose Vehicles. It is a shame that the cleam air authorityies seem unable to comprehend this.
Post #957062 2nd Jul 2022 1:49pm
Pickles

Mossberg wrote:
I think with my 300tdi it was going to be £9 per day. That wasn't going to be at the introduction of the charging but 12 months later as it was a private car.

Thank You for your cost estimate, which at that rate appears to be not inconsiderable, would that be about the cost for a family car?.
Have you any idea what the cost (daily rate)would be for a family's "normal" car, that say someone has to commute in every day.
Like I said, whilst I've heard of these "clean zones", I'm not aware of any in Aussie at this stage, but I'm sure they will come, so I was just wondering about the cost.
Is there a stipulation/regulation/difference etc for cars to be Euro 4, 5, or 6?
Regards, Pickles.
Post #957112 2nd Jul 2022 10:38pm
Mossberg

Hi Pickles,

That £9 charge is due to the 300tdi being older diesel technology and you are correct with your assumption of the rating affecting the charge. My other drive is a 2010 Seat Ibiza 1 4 petrol, which currently would not be charged. I don't often use the Defender.

The thing that really p**ses me off is that if I take the Defender to my mams to help with garden waste removal etc, that will cost me £9 for a round trip of 18 miles. To attend a conveniently local LR meeting - 9 mile round trip and a £9 charge. I could see this changing its venue to one located outside the zone. I would expect a few small businesses would suffer a reduction in footfall if they are located just inside the zone.

I think I, like many, am just totally fed-up with all politicians. They seem to be overpaid, out of touch, self-righteous a**e wipes!
Post #957124 3rd Jul 2022 8:53am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
blackwolf wrote:
……The fact the Defenders are taxed as LGVs does not make them goods vehicles, they are legally Dual Purpose Vehicles. It is a shame that the cleam air authorityies seem unable to comprehend this.

I live in Bradford and was faced with an announced imminent clean air zone. As I owned a 2011 “N1” 110SW I looked into my liability for the charge. I soon ran into a brick wall. I agree with Blackwolf in that the taxation class does not make the Defender a goods vehicle. My SW was no more a goods vehicle than estate cars, people carriers etc. with a varying ability to carry a load according to how many seats are folded. The Defender’s liability for CAZ charges is based on irrelevant bureaucratic vehicle excise based reasons.

Whilst a Defender is a “dual purpose vehicle”, that classification is only relevant to “construction and use” based legislation. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/3/made
The basis of liability under CAZ regulations is vehicle excise classes, a different thing entirely. “Dual Purpose Vehicle” is not a taxation class under vehicle excise legislation (see https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/g...asses.pdf)

Unfortunately it is taxation classes in vehicle excise legislation that Local Authorities have been obliged by the government to use to determine CAZ liability.

You cannot amend your N1 classification to M1 (should you wish to). It must remain as the classification declared on the vehicle’s certificate of conformity.

Convenient to powerful authorities? Yes.
Fair to a small powerless group of owners? Absolutely not!

Right, I’ll get off my soapbox now Rolling with laughter
Post #957144 3rd Jul 2022 11:45am
spudfan

Ireland 
If you changed your Puma from N1 to M1 over here, the road tax would go from €1080 to €2350 per year. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #957171 3rd Jul 2022 3:46pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Despite having recently been stung by a CAZ, I do agree with the idea / principle, it’s just useless council implementation that Censored me off.

Living in Bristol and walking / cycling to work, next to massive queues of commuters, polluting and congesting the city (which is the real issue for people’s health) is horrible.

In our office, everyone of us that lives in the city walks, cycles, scooters or gets the bus (with 95% of my colleagues who live outside the city driving in).

Given that I rarely use my vehicle during rush hour, why should I have to pay? I already pay the inflated house prices and council tax (that BCC Censored up the wall), to be able to live walking distance from work.

CAZs in their current form are a total scam. They should charge all “out of town” commuters driving non-EVs, provide viable alternatives like free park and rides and provide useful EV chargers (like loads of 3kwh that you can leave plugged in all day) [maybe have exceptions for low paid workers, NHS staff, police, fire, etc].

That’s the only real way to improve air quality… but it’s not about that, it’s just another revenue source for the council to waste on nonsense.

Edit: Plus provide grants for people to insulate their homes / upgrade from single glazing. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #957198 3rd Jul 2022 9:58pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
A little off topic but near where I live, in Norwich we have a Lord Mayors procession. Since I was a kid, this involves dancers, bands, majorettes, companies, organisations and charities. There was a mixture of pedestrians and vehicles. Some of the floats were very impressive until the local council, a year or two before Covid decided to ban all lorries and vehicles with an ICE. This was because of pollution. I think the Lord Mayor rides in a Tesla or something like that now, but we don’t have many electric trucks in the sticks where I live.
Now in Norwich, there is no clean air zone and it’s just as well as we only get the reject buses that you guys in London and elsewhere chuck out. A large proportion are twenty years old (02 plates) and I get they re-engine them, but they are not hybrid or anywhere near battery powered. We have never had many new buses. Pollution in Castle Meadow (in the city and part of the route of said procession) when it was measured was terrible. The only vehicles allowed in this area are buses taxis and cycles.
So our local council ban trucks for one procession a year (probably 12-15 trucks at most) yet let’s the buses and taxis choke the streets for the other 364 days.
You really couldn’t make it up.
As a post script, I used to enjoy the steel band. Now they always rode on the back of a truck and artic trailer. I haven’t seen the new non-ICE procession, but I guess the Steel Band would find it challenging on a bike Laughing
Post #957205 3rd Jul 2022 10:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1