Home > Technical > Scanguage 2 v ScanguageE v Turboguage v Ultraguage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Scanguage 2 v ScanguageE v Turboguage v Ultraguage
Which to buy?

The scanguage box looks interesting (especially coming from a disco3 where everything is on display)

I see there are two versions, anyone had any experience of the ScanguageE? from what I can see it has all the same functions - except it only has two things shown at once and doesn't read/clear fault codes.

ScanguageE is a fair bit cheaper (and smaller), so the question is really, are the extra features of the original Scanguage2 worth the extra cash ?

I'm guessing the likely answer is they are the whole point of having it so faults can be read and cleared, the other info shown is possibly of secondary importance.

Also see there is also Turboguage which looks a bit similar and priced as low as £65 from China, so I'm guessing that's a knock off with no support, and another Ultraguage, more to look at than the Scanguage, cheaper but a horrid blue colour and import from USA only, so not sure what to put on the Crimbo list really, maybe I'll hedge my bets and go for socks and hanks again .

Any views or experiences on the above would be welcome, as I like the idea of a bit more info on display (where's the emoticon for geek?)

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #106692 13th Dec 2011 6:19pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Do a search or 'pm' Lorryman! There's loads of posts of what Scangauge can and cannot do already on the site! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #106696 13th Dec 2011 6:55pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
thanks for the quick response, I had done that search and scanguage looks very interesting, but I was also after some comparisons with the other version - scanguageE and other options as well. I'm guessing that scanguage is the instrument of choice, but there are other options which might be worth exploring if anyone has experience of them - turboguage, ultraguage et all.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #106701 13th Dec 2011 7:11pm
K9F

Depends on really what you want it for....If it's simply to read and clear basic faults and have a few extra real-time readouts pound for pound Scangauge 2 is (for me anyway) the best, most functional tools for my needs. If money and time to experiment was in abundance I would probably go for Blackbox Solutions....Faultmate MSV2....Each to their own!

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/products.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #106714 13th Dec 2011 7:59pm
Lorryman100

I'm with K9F on the scangauge 2. Pound for pound it is a very handy and versatile tool all packaged up nicely and easily blends in with the dash. The scangauge 2 allows you to clear dtc's (tested) which illuminate the MIL lamp and the new software versions also allow you to display pending dtc's (untested) as well. The standard gauges cover most of the engine monitoring systems and those that are not covered can be programmed into x gauge, an additional set of codecs for sensors on the Ford PWM and CANSF protocols. The standard gauges show, Manifold Absolute Pressure/Boost, Miles Per Gallon, Kilometres Per Gallon, Miles Per Litre, Liters Per 100Km, Kilometres Per Litre, Miles Per Hour, Kilometres Per Hour, Revolutions Per Minute, Throttle Position Sensor, Water Temperature, Average Fuel Economy, Trip Fuel Cost, Cost Per Mile, Battery Voltage, Intake Air Temperature, Gallons Per Hour, Litres Per Hour, Engine Loading, etc.
The additional xgauge codecs available give you BHP, EGR duty cycle, FPr, CHT, Fuel pump duty cycle, Barometric pressure, fuel tank level in %, Fuel pump pulse widths etc.
The scangauge e is suited more to the eco friendly minded driver as it is designed more for eco driving, giving info on real time fuel use and your real time carbon footprint, so not really applicable to a defender which has the aerodynamics of a 3 bed semi on wheels and the fuel usage which mirrors this fact. It also does not give you access to as many gauges as the scangauge 2 and does not allow you to read and clear faults, or has the x gauge function.

Just my tuppence worth. Whistle

Brian.
Post #106810 14th Dec 2011 2:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Just ordered my ScangaugeII yesterday! Mr. Green Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #107571 15th Dec 2011 12:03pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Lorryman100 wrote:
I'm with K9F on the scangauge 2. Pound for pound it is a very handy and versatile tool all packaged up nicely and easily blends in with the dash.

100% agreed, very handy tool, taught me to improve my driving and increase fuel mileage. Thumbs Up

Lorryman100 wrote:

[...]
The additional xgauge codecs available give you BHP, EGR duty cycle, FPr, CHT, Fuel pump duty cycle, Barometric pressure, fuel tank level in %, Fuel pump pulse widths etc.

Sounds nice, where did you get those xgauges additional codes for the Puma?

I checked on scangauge.com website http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/

But I'm unsure which ones apply to the Puma, the Ford codes I guess, but which protocol, CANSF I guess? And there's even a separate section for Diesel engines... So it's a bit confusing...

Maybe it's time for a separate thread to share Scangauge configuration for the Puma Rolling Eyes
Post #107596 15th Dec 2011 1:57pm
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
After reading lot's of positive feedback I also purchased and installed a ScanGauge2 device.

Click image to enlarge

It fit very nice in the central console, I'm very happy about it!
Post #110167 26th Dec 2011 9:52pm
K9F

MD5 wrote:
It fit very nice in the central console, I'm very happy about it!

Does it play tunes too? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #110172 26th Dec 2011 10:44pm
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
K9F wrote:
Does it play tunes too?

No, but to play music I use the sinto-usb-player installed in the Corsetti roof console

Click image to enlarge
Post #110184 27th Dec 2011 6:17am
pom

that roof console looks good.

Pom
Post #110206 27th Dec 2011 2:14pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
pom wrote:
that roof console looks good.

Pom

http://davidecorsetti.wordpress.com/2010/0...-da-tetto/