↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Help please - difflock problem!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Help please - difflock problem!
I seem to have a problem with the centre difflock on my Puma 110 DC, and would welcome any advice.

I last used the CDL over the weekend when manoeuvering a trailer in a muddy field in Devon. Disengaged afterwards, light went off, all seemed OK. Drove home to Dorset on Sunday evening with nothing unusual.

Today, driving home from work, the steering seem to be getting progressively more and more peculiar, with very odd torque reactions on bends (actually quite frightening) and when turning sudden powerful tugs either left or right, either trying to turn more sharply but more especially to unwind unexpectedly. It was a bit like driving in a really strong blustery crosswind.

Got home, jacked up one front wheel, and it rocks back and forth by about 15 degrees and no further. Seems a bit much movement if the difflock is engaged, but it's the only thing I can think of. I checked the difflock linkage which seems free and easy to operate, and the you can hear the selector moving in the diff housing, the detents clicking, all seems OK. But whatever I do I can't free the wheel to rotate - rocking back and forth etc.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Anyone had a similar problem?

One other thought I have had while writing this is with only one front wheel jacked up, it might be the front diff seized so the other front wheel (still on the ground) is what is stopping rotation - I didn't think to try jacking both up. In fact the more I think about the the more likely I think it is that the fornt diff has seized. I will have to go and jack up both sides to see what happens.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sod's law of course says that my other car, the Disco 2, has a dud battery at the moment, so to get to work tomorrow I may have to swap batteries over! If this wasn't a family forum I would be tempted to swear! Big Cry
Post #103623 30th Nov 2011 8:28pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
diff
jack up both wheels and see first mate
Post #103632 30th Nov 2011 8:44pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
With 1 wheel off the groung and gearbox in neutral you should be able to turn the wheel around.
If you still had it in gear 15 degr is OK. My 90 Td5 does more I think. You will hear cluncks.

What do you expect to see with 2 front wheels off the ground? Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #103650 30th Nov 2011 9:06pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I'd stop messing with jacks, get it on some grass or gravel and reverse up and down in a straight line. if the same, go full lock to full lock in reverse for a few minutes (say or 5 times per side)
Post #103661 30th Nov 2011 9:31pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
15deg is about right when the diff lock is engaged with one wheel off the ground.

Have you looked underneath to see if the lever is moved all the way over when disengaged?

a front diff seizing is not something i have come across, they normally just break the centre of the crown wheel. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103678 30th Nov 2011 9:53pm
blackwolf

Ok, been out and tried some more things.

Both front wheels in the air, spin one and the other turns in the same direction if cdl unlocked.
Lock CDL front wheels both lock (back wheels are on the ground).
CDL is working fine.
The only things that could cause this are 1) I have a front difflock I don't know about or 2) the front diff has seized.

It's an 07 so probably 2 pinion.

Any suggestions for best place for new 4 pinion diff?

Assuming crownwheel & pinion are ok, would an airlocker be cheaper than a new diff?
Post #103697 30th Nov 2011 10:52pm
jst

pin has collapsed in the front diff. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103732 1st Dec 2011 7:43am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
there is a second hand 4 pin diff on ebay at the moment out of a RR states on advert it will fit a defender but im sure someone on here will know for sure DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #103735 1st Dec 2011 8:34am
blackwolf

Since I need the vehicle back in action ASAP, I have ordered a replacement diff from Ashcroft Transmissions.

I have ordered up newly built unit with heavy duty crownwheel and pinion set and torque biasing differential (so a much better unit, and built by professionals who know what they are doing and care!) and, even including the refundable surcharge on the old unit and delivery this is around £400 cheaper than a new 4-pin diff assembly from Landrover!

It is being built for me now and has been promised for Monday.

What a pleasure to find such a polite, helpful and customer-focussed firm! Thumbs Up
Post #103766 1st Dec 2011 1:37pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Since I need the vehicle back in action ASAP, I have ordered a replacement diff from Ashcroft Transmissions.

I have ordered up newly built unit with heavy duty crownwheel and pinion set and torque biasing differential (so a much better unit, and built by professionals who know what they are doing and care!) and, even including the refundable surcharge on the old unit and delivery this is around £400 cheaper than a new 4-pin diff assembly from Landrover!

It is being built for me now and has been promised for Monday.

What a pleasure to find such a polite, helpful and customer-focussed firm! Thumbs Up

nice one, get one for the rear aswell!
Post #103772 1st Dec 2011 2:08pm
tolley

how many miles have you done ,what sort work has it done ,seem soon for a new diff Shocked
bad luck mate.
Post #103781 1st Dec 2011 2:44pm
blackwolf

It's an 07 plate DC with approx 80k miles on, County spec so no ABS or TC. It does a fair bit of off-road work inc. with trailers but even so it's a disappointing failure. However I was always intending to fit lockers of some kind at some time (though not this close to Christmas!) so all in all I am not too fed up. Those lovely folk at Ashcroft's have made me happy again!

Will now have to decide whether to fit an ATB or air-locker in the rear - any recommendations?
Post #103801 1st Dec 2011 6:03pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
blackwolf wrote:
It's an 07 plate DC with approx 80k miles on, County spec so no ABS or TC. It does a fair bit of off-road work inc. with trailers but even so it's a disappointing failure. However I was always intending to fit lockers of some kind at some time (though not this close to Christmas!) so all in all I am not too fed up. Those lovely folk at Ashcroft's have made me happy again!

Will now have to decide whether to fit an ATB or air-locker in the rear - any recommendations?

with no TC i'd go for an ashcrofts locker, they make there own and you'll need a compressor so you could have onboard air...good for pumping tyres and possibly air tools
Post #103802 1st Dec 2011 6:07pm
tolley

blackwolf let me know which one you get and how it goes,i too im thimking of fitting lockers but not sure which to go for so any info would be good thanks
Post #103822 1st Dec 2011 7:37pm
jst

in my opinion if you are doing something that requires lockers (racing aside) then get a true air locker that you dictate when you need it. The ashcroft locker is very good, with better engagement than the ARB too. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103846 1st Dec 2011 8:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>